PDA

View Full Version : Scout Helicpoter Information Needed.....

Easy226
27th Nov 2005, 15:27
Hi everyone,

We are currently doing a final year project on this helicoter and more specifically a landing gear design. Anyway im trying to get hold of C of G positions for this particular helicopter and any other data such as weights and limitations.

Would be much appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding such data. Been having a look on google, but to no avail.

Many Thanks

Dan

helicopter-redeye
27th Nov 2005, 16:40
Repost in forum 'Rotorheads' where helicopter people live
?
h-r:)

Easy226
27th Nov 2005, 20:06
Hi everyone,

We are currently doing a final year project on this helicoter and more specifically a landing gear design. Anyway im trying to get hold of C of G positions for this particular helicopter and any other data such as weights and limitations.

Would be much appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding such data. Been having a look on google, but to no avail.

Many Thanks

Dan

Flingingwings
27th Nov 2005, 21:02
Fairly sure that there is a militray helicopter 'group' based at Thruxton airfield, Hampshire and that they have a Scout. I don't have a number but a call to the airfield should point you in the right direction.

Aside from that have you tried asking the Army Air Corp? Sure thay must have a few dusty operating handbooks lying in a cupboard :)

Genghis the Engineer
27th Nov 2005, 21:11
Isn't ETPS still operating one, they may be able to help with manuals, perf data, etc if you phone and grovel. (Best bet might be to phone the Boscombe Down tech library / information centre).

I am proud owner of a Scout hover performance slide rule, unfortunately Simon Newman at Southampton University has it at the moment. If you happen to be at Southampton (or know him, you've probably read some of his textbooks at some point), go and ask him if you can borrow it. If you aren't and it might be useful please let me know and I'll see if I can recover it, you'd be welcome to borrow so long as I get it back.

If you're looking at undercarriage structural performance, it's for fixed wings, but you could do worse than go to the British Microlight Aicraft Association's website at www.bmaa.org and download Technical Information Leaflet No. 016; it contains quite a lot of information on how to meet undercarriage structural requirements. Also go to the Def-Stan website (should be linked from the Sticky on tech-log) and look into Def.Stan 00-970 part 2; somewhere in there should be the military helicopter undercarriage requirements - Def-Stans are generally very good with guidance material which should help you through it.

Finally, don't forget to reference all these documents in your report - gets you serious brownie points from the assessors. (I know, I am one).

G

SilsoeSid
27th Nov 2005, 21:17
Easy,

I have a set of FRCs and an old ODM around Sidley Towers here somewhere. Give me a mo and I'll try and dig them out.

:ok:
SS

Easy226
27th Nov 2005, 21:44
Thanks a lot for the replies for everyone, no im not at Southampton University unfortunatly. I have been on the DEFSTAN site and got hold of 00-970 part 2 and also JAR 27 and 29. Thanks for the tips too Gengis!

I will have a look at the links provided in the thread and Silsoe, would be much appreciated if you could supply me with such information!

My e-mail is [email protected]

Many Thanks

Dan

chevvron
28th Nov 2005, 06:45
Used to have Scouts based at my airfield.
Pilots always said the (skid) undercarriage was designed so that if you did a heavy landing, the skids would 'give' without damaging the airframe; you could literally jack it up, fit a new set of skids, and fly again!! They also said there was NO WAY you could do that with the Gazelle!

MightyGem
28th Nov 2005, 07:47
There are plenty of ex Scout drivers around. I'm sure one will be along shortly.

diginagain
28th Nov 2005, 09:07
The cross-tube under the rear of the fuselage was more susceptible to giving up before the skids. We had one quit in 85 in FI, due to corrosion inside the tube.
Nice machine, the old Queen of the Skies, but I preferred poling around in the Chicken Leg, even with the likes of Mighty Gem.:E

MightyGem
28th Nov 2005, 10:33
even with the likes of Mighty Gem.
Hmmm...I take it we know each other?

Wunper
28th Nov 2005, 10:52
Figures for WASP won't be far out if you don't get the Scout figures

MAUW 5500lb
F/A Cof G range 3.75'' fwd of datum to 5.5'' aft of datum
Lateral Cof G range 3'' port of datum to 5.75 stbd of datum

IIRC datum plate was on cabin floor just in front of the rear bulkhead, it's been a few years...

Hope it helps

W

SilsoeSid
28th Nov 2005, 11:01
Sorry for the wait, I didn't realise we had so many rooms in the East Wing of Sidley Towers !

Scout AH1

MAUW 5350lbs

CG Range

longitudinal
Up to 5000lb - 6.5 inches forward to 6.0 inches aft
Above 5000lb - 6.5 inches forward to 3.0 inches aft

lateral
For any weight - 3.8 inches port to 5.75 inches starboard

edited to add
Additional Speed Limitations

Forward flight above 5000lb

At aft CG limit - 90 kts (maximum)
(post Mod 5079, max speed is 110 kts if CG is more than 5.0 inches aft, regardless of AUW)

At port CG limit - FE minus 5kts
At starbord CG limit - FE minus 10kts or 80kts (maximum)

Sideways and rearwards flight

Normal maximum - 20kts
When operating close to low speed FE - slow walking pace

Maximum groundspeed for running on is - 35kts

Hope that helps.

:8
SS

diginagain
29th Nov 2005, 07:29
Hmmm...I take it we know each other?

Check your PM

NickLappos
29th Nov 2005, 10:15
Easy,
Here is a source for the flight manual, costs $20:

http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Westland.html

Easy226
29th Nov 2005, 21:47
Thank you very much for the replies and most of them have been of great use to me and the group. I wondered weather anyone knows off hand how much the fuel tank can hold?

I know it is also a very specific question, but i dont suppose anyone knows how much the skids weigh in total? Im probarbly going to have to refer to Westland themselves for that information, but it is worth a try!

Many Thanks

Dan

SilsoeSid
29th Nov 2005, 23:39
I wondered weather anyone knows off hand how much the fuel tank can hold? 1200lbs is the max fuel capacity.

As for the weight of the skids. :rolleyes: What Next?!!

Remembering back to when we used to help the BATs do things like skid changes, I\'d hazard a guess at around, not much more than 4-5kgs each, (just the skid).

Most a/c flew with the ground handling wheels attached, if that makes a difference.

diginagain
29th Nov 2005, 23:56
..........and if you didn't watch the fuel gauge as you filled it, you could exceed the capability of the tank to vent air, resulting in F-34-soaked trousers.

30th Nov 2005, 11:02
Remember 'tapping' the 'ball valve' [with the crow bar] during start? I remember a tech looking down the tail pipe to check for a wet start when the pilot went for it again. Instant sun burn.