PDA

View Full Version : 700 German Travel Agents arrive in Cape Town

Gunship
27th Nov 2005, 15:41
More than 700 German travel agents arrive in Cape Town on Monday to take part in a marketing campaign aimed at boosting tourist numbers to the Western Cape.

The Dertour Reiseakademie was last held in South Africa in 2000 and boosted numbers from Germany by about 30% in the year after the event.

The chief executive of Cape Town Routes Unlimited, Nokhuthula Dube, said: "It is without doubt one of the most important international marketing opportunities of the year and a great honour for South Africa to host the Reiseakademie for the second time in only five years.

"Following the 2000 Reiseakademie, arrivals from Germany to South Africa increased some 30% in the 12 months following the event."

South Africa won the hard-fought bid to host the 2005 event against Mexico, Thailand, two Australian territories and a US state.

The agents will be briefed on strategies to draw lucrative German tourists to their businesses.

Prior and after the core event in Cape Town, the Dertour participants will take tours around South Africa.

Germany and the United Kingdom are the main overseas sources of international arrivals to Cape Town.

In 2004 more than 170 000 German tourists and 300 000 from the United Kingdom visited Cape Town and the Western Cape.

LINK (http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/business/display_article.asp?Nav=ns&lvl2=buss&ArticleID=1518-1786_1841285)

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Nov 2005, 19:26
Soek daai schnapps, Sakkie!:ok:

Never a bad thing for the airline business.;)

MysticFlyer
28th Nov 2005, 00:09
Now regarding POSITIVE Saffer's....and beachmonkies!

Here's a hint.....80mil plus residents, very sensitive travellers. Add Austria, Switzerland and Lichtenstein and all the other nationalities.....ag wait, let's call it the whole of Europe (economically anyway) without another war, methinks SA government better shape up!

The most of WWI and WWII trying to eradicate FreeMasonry and it's horrible grips. Plenty got a ticket to the States within the CIA. A sympathetic ear to the Afrikaner struggle under the ANC - communists within a country for land they historically owned!

Methinks/knows, now the plot is really thickening, when Deutschland starts with ethnic cleansing....young Ernst slipped away and eventually also landed in Houghton and in Kensington Square Gardens, to become gentlemen of the establishment, also, like Barney and beachmonkey now, smoking cigars and sipping Cognac in the footsteps of Bob, Mabusso, Idi etc. etc. etc.

The Gerries never liked that lineages, and FD Roseveldt almost didn't get his diamonds. Well that saved London for the day! One half of Germany remained RED, the Berlin side where the capitol is today. Guess how much their disliking they've got for communism, fuel this by Ernst's offspring's doings in Afrika, they so greatly AID.... AIDS linked back to HIV again?

Is the ball already rolling?

:ooh:

MF
Ps. Staying positive Gunns....Your hardware in SL? Achtung baby.

farmpilot
1st Dec 2005, 11:03
CAPE TOWN
Tour bus robbed at gunpoint

Thu, 01 Dec 2005
A group of 40 German travel agents were robbed of their handbags at gunpoint in their bus at Cape Town's Khayelitsha township on Wednesday, SA Tourism said on Thursday.

Two armed men stormed into the group's stationary tour bus and demanded that passengers hand over their valuables and money, SA Tourism spokesperson Shirley Motea said.

The travel agents, who are on a week-long educational visit to South Africa, were in the country as guests of SA Tourism, she said in a statement.

Western Cape police said it was unclear how much money was taken from the group and the value of their items has also not be ascertained.

"We don't know how much was taken because we have not interviewed all of them," Superintendent Billy Jones told Sapa.

He said the group was attacked around 6pm on Wednesday.

Motea said: "The visitors had boarded the bus that was to move them from their afternoon activities to dinner in Khayelitsha when at least two armed men allegedly entered the bus and demanded... valuables and money. No one was injured," Motea said.

She said the group, which had been in Khayelitsha when the attack took place, formed part of 300 German travel agents currently visiting South Africa to "learn more" about the country "in order to sell it more effectively to German travellers".

"All 300 delegates had been in Khayalitsha that afternoon, but only one bus was attacked," Motea said, adding the group's attackers fled.

Educational trip to continue

"When the entire group arrived back at its hotel last night, a representative of the tour operator informed delegates of what had taken place and told them, too, that it was the company's decision that the educational trip of South Africa would continue.

"However, delegates were given the opportunity to return to Germany should they wish to do so.

"Two of the delegates elected to return home. Transport arrangements have been made for them. Later last night, however, delegates who had chosen to continue with the educational tour had resumed their planned itinerary," Motea said.

"Dismayed and deeply concerned" – Tourism chief

SA Tourism chief executive Moeketsi Mosola said he was "dismayed and deeply concerned" over the group's robbery.

"This is an appalling incident and our deepest concern goes to those affected," he said.

"An incident such as this has significantly negative consequences for everyone," Mosola said.

He said trauma counselling was provided to the affected Germans.

The police, an official from Cape Town Routes Unlimited and another from South African Tourism visited the delegation at their hotel to "demonstrate their concern and deep regret for what had taken place", he said.

Mosola praised the police for arriving at the scene "minutes after the incident had taken place".

"The police have launched an investigation into the incident, and we are confident that they are doing all they can to find and apprehend the criminals," Mosola said.

Sapa

Priceless!:rolleyes:

MysticFlyer
1st Dec 2005, 11:31
I could use the proverbial, my words was not even cold yet. 28th and not a posting since!

11 year's they'll still blame aaaaapppaaartheid? No baby, methinks that one looks like an old worn-out Basotho pony's back!

Priceless indeed! Fire the Minister of Tourism?! (He is white after-all) Erika, you are reading, saw you signed in recently! But check-out the ownership of your paper, before you get yourself fired too!

Funny how it always come back to aviation, well flying is knowing about a lot of things and applying SOME common sense, ain't it?

Hauw, eisch! Told you so! Very lucky no-one killed....

MF:ooh:

Ps. Beeeeeeeccccchhhhhhjjjjjettttttt???????
Edit to add: Moeketsi - seen some tomatoes come from there, but eisch if only they (the tomatoes off course) could blush, I know the minister can. From floorwalker to floorsweeper then Marthinus?

Let' see 207views @ 13:00GMT, think that may increase should one post on stormfront.org :ooh:

Gunship
1st Dec 2005, 13:45
I just came back from the bank manager.

I saw her scratching ... uhmm her legs Mysty ...:E

Later on she told us ; Part of " our bank's " new SA tendency 's are to visit Khayalitcha / Deep Downs en so voorts...

Well they also HAD to sleep with a family and eat with them.

All good except that she was awaken by gunshots in the little bit she slept while declaring war on the ticks and stuff biting her.

I see amy Beal's mother was at the wedding of the a$$hole that killed her own daughter ... if people do not learn to "respect " these areas - they must feel. :ouch:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For what it is worth ... as always the journalists got their story and headlines ...

South African Tourism has confirmed that three German tour operators were robbed in Khayelitsha in Cape Town on Wednesday evening.

Marketing co-ordinator Bulelani Silangwe said SA Tourism initially reported that a group of \"40 guests was robbed\".

\"In fact, only three of the 40 passengers aboard a tour bus in Cape Town were robbed of personal belongings,\" Silangwe said on Thursday afternoon.

Police reported earlier that one man, aged 20, had been arrested early on Thursday in connection with the incident.

Meanwhile, Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk has called on communities to make life intolerable for criminals, especially those who prey on tourists.

stop&go
1st Dec 2005, 18:25
"Intolerable for criminals especially those who prey on tourists"
Shall we start with the goverment!!
Preying on tourists with rediculous taxes and sudden increases during peak seasons.

Maybe we should start disarming the criminals and following through with a judicial system that would deter rather than inspire crime.
Instead the goverment blame their "previously disadvantaged backgrounds", pat the bastards on the back and send them on their way!

Talk about passing the buck!

B Sousa
1st Dec 2005, 18:36
A group of 40 German travel agents were robbed of their handbags at gunpoint in their bus at Cape Town's Khayelitsha township on Wednesday, SA Tourism said on Thursday.

I saw this thread start and said should I.............no, I will just keep quiet as some cant handle my rhetoric....
Let me just say that Im sure we all knew this was going to happen.
My question is what in Hell were these people thinking..Going to a Township....
Were these the "feel good" folks saying to the downtrodden, "I feel your pain"
OR we can look at it this way..So far only 40 out of 700....Someone is slipping.......
(Officially only three were robbed?) Right, and the rest on the bus had no money.

MysticFlyer
2nd Dec 2005, 07:03
The Learn to Earn offices were also robbed a few months ago and even though they had identified some of the suspects the police have failed to make any arrests. The biggest losers in this whole thing are the people of Khayelitsha who are trying very hard to get involved in projects that can uplift the community. A guest on John Maytham’s show who runs a bed and Bed and Breakfast said the community is livid after the robbery of the German Tour operators and they have been hunting the streets aiding the police. By the afternoon, one arrest had already been made.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zuma (The Vice President of the new Democratic South Africa)now admitted to sex, but it was consensual, in terms of the rape case against him.

Positive people....:yuk: learn to earn!? Guess which method they are learning, because of the aforementioned and the fact that they have not been arrrested.

I wonder who they grabbed of the street, a national hero soon, but I suppose he was hungry! He couldn't beg, because the new rich in SA was the previously disadvantaged, and they don't give so freely?!

Sickening - it's starts from above, lead by example, but then the ANC never called off (denounce) violence and terrorism as a means to resolve conflict. This is democracy? :yuk:

MF

MysticFlyer
2nd Dec 2005, 09:16
Guns,

In order not to sound like an ongoing moaner herewith a bit more about the importance of this visit.

Best wishes:ok:

MF:cool:

Dertour says it has chosen SA again beause it demands an "in-depth qualified product knowledge" as travel agencies do not usually have this extensive knowledge as they traditionally buy tours from wholesale brochures.

Dertour also believes first hand experience is the best motivator to create more bookings for tourists travelling to SA.

Further, it has been reported that "some"arrest have been made. Let's hope it's the suspects and that a good case could be put together!

MysticFlyer
2nd Dec 2005, 12:43
Update on Zuma, it's denied again by Cosatu.

This onslaught on Zuma, also indicated by corruption charges, BEElieves there is a conspiracy against him and the federation by, wait for it.....

"faceless charlatans" the offspring of "thokolosi's" ? :ooh:

The Campfire has more.

MF:uhoh:
Ps. Beechjet and his cronies is quiet, methinks he is out of sabbatical, got a BEE tender and now he, leftpedal and saywhat is flying these things around, quite a busy job I suppose! :p

MysticFlyer
6th Dec 2005, 11:59
Pitty that Penny Nord had to loose out to the Angolan in the Miss Penetentiary 2005 award.

Hosty was she, trafficking? Anyway, I'm sure the Angolan girl had to win. Anyway Penny looked proudly SAfrican!

The last winner got a reduced sentence! :yuk:

Stop crime, follow the moneyline...

MF

Gunship
7th Dec 2005, 09:37
Lo Musty ...

I notice you talk to yourself so I will just add that the Cape newspapers did not take this incident lightly.

Rumour has it that the locals has a "hit squad" out for those that did the deed.

Anyway - although it watered down to only three people that was mugged it remains a tradegy for especially the local people who wants to make a living out of tourism in their communities.

Cheers

Gunsss

MysticFlyer
7th Dec 2005, 10:27
Hallo Guns,

(Notice the 7's cheetah?)

A very good thing! A hit squad is really what the world needs after they have followed the crime and it's moneyline. I saved them a lot of effort though:O

Read my posts!

Groete ou grote,

MF:ok:

Voel
13th Dec 2005, 17:57
Being a chairman (i mean German) north of the Oranje River, I had first hand experience of being robbed in Cape Town on my first night there and nogal on the same day the German tour operators were robbed. The only difference is that I was not present when they robbed me. Just took my car during my absence. Could not fly back either because of fuel shortage

Gunship
14th Dec 2005, 08:39
Sorry to hear about your loss Voel :sad:

MysticFlyer
14th Dec 2005, 09:03
I'm with Guns in respect of you loss and unfortunate predicament.

Good luck now with the insurance claim and reading that fine print.

Hitsquad, man we pay tax for arresting criminals by means of a system that should be working. Having bush-courts....never a good thing, it's a good indication of social collapse.

Well, anyway, that's my bit on ranting about a functioning social system.

Have a nice day, all!

MF