PDA

View Full Version : Belize jobs and money

African Tech Rep
27th Nov 2005, 09:38
I’ve read a bit of “Jobs in the region” and now know wages in Nicaragua can be really low – and done a search but :-

During doing some research about airlines / lease companies I came across an advert for an A&P in Belize – my current job is a bit “up & down” and I found myself thinking “that’s what I should do” , get a job somewhere interesting back actually fixing the things (I’m sort of “office bound” right now).
Then I started thinking “but would the salary be “enough”” – they didn’t show a salary so it would be “negotiation”.

So one question and one suggestion
Q – what would be a “living” salary for someone married with one child in Belize ?
S – could there be a “sticky” along the lines of “if offered less than X in Country Y – don’t take it – you’ll starve”.
(MOD - if this need to be suggested on each forum separately I’m happy to do that)

I doubt very much if I’d get the job if I did apply – they say “”suitable starting position for someone with some sheet metal experience” and I’m not “starting” and have done pylon mods on 74’s crown repairs on 111’s and D’d on 70’s (as well the normal 73, A320 etc etc) – so I’m probably “overqualified” – but the question did stick in my mind overnight and I’m sure a “sticky” would be interesting and useful to many.

Panama Jack
27th Nov 2005, 11:26
I'm sure that some of the Belician crowd will be along soon to provide additional answers to your questions, however, in the meantime, I will just say that Belize is one of the most expensive countries (if not the most expensive country in Central America) as far as cost of living goes.

Also, while the experience on the heavy metal does sound impressive (I am not a mechanic, so I don't know how transferable to skills are to smaller aircraft), the fleet in Belize is pretty light-- Caravans, Islanders, 172's, aircraft like that.

So if you are intimate with P&W PT-6 engines and stuff like that, I would think that these type of skills would catch the attention of the local operators even more.

As far as your request for a sticky goes, I would say that a minimum income for life in Nicaragua (expat standards) would be around $2000 per month. This may sound quite high, considering that there are plenty of locals who top out at about $360 per month, however, I am talking about acceptable housing in a safe area, groceries from grocery stores (instead of going to the market which can in itself be risky business especially in Managua), having a vehicle and maintaining it, health care and schooling in a local private school-- nothing upper class, just the public system is simply deficient, a little bit of recreation, the ocassional mordida or traffic fine (just a matter of time) and perhaps some rainy day savings.

African Tech Rep
27th Nov 2005, 12:25
Thanks for the input

From the mechs point of view as far a sheet metal work goes if you can do this on pressurised aircraft unpressurised are child’s play.
The biggest difference for “us mechs” really is engines – I did my A&P coming from a GA / DC3 / DC6 background with some guys from Virgin who were ex RAF (Phantoms / Jags etc) – the A&P focuses LOTS on light aircraft so I spent a few nights on free beer while I refreshed their memories on how Mags and Spark plugs work :D

There does seem to be quite a bit of interest on the various forums as to cost of living vs wages in various locations – hence my suggestion.

I understand how the amount for “living wage” may seem high compared with “normal wage” – I’m in SA and I live on an “advisory fee” of 3000USD pm – I say “live” but it’s nothing special – I can pay mortgage for an “average house”, drive an old clunker, get enough to eat, but not save / have weekends away etc etc – conversely I know families with more children who get less than 1000USD pm (my wife’s wage is 2000ZAR [300USD] pm) but also there is an abundance of people walking the streets hoping to get a days work at 50ZAR (7USD) pd, so if they get a job a day they’ll get 210USD pm – I also know people who get far more than I.
So what is a “living salary” – here you can “survive” on $210 (but I have no real idea how they do it), you can “live” on $3300 (mine & wife’s) but I’d say to live “comfortably” you need $4000 +.
Makes considering moves difficult :(

Panama Jack
27th Nov 2005, 14:18
Exactly, that is pretty much what kind of existence $2000 a month will get you in Managua-- a similar lifestyle, but don't expect to live in Managua's exclusive neighborhoods nor go wining and dining every evening-- budgeting will be de-rigeur, although you wouldn't get muy sympathy from those whos make that much or less in a year. How do they make it-- well, many Nicaraguan families have several generations living under one roof, and you hopefully you have family in Miami sending remitences.