PDA

View Full Version : Question For Cabin Crew Based In Uk

jur99llk
26th Nov 2005, 11:26
hi everybody,

this is a question for cabin crew based in Uk.
I´m very concerned about the fact i´m paying too much in taxes (i see it every month i get my payslip) and someone said to me that i´m not on the correct tax code and that´s why i´m paying so much.
Are we all uk cabin crew on the same tax code??
by the way, my payslip says my tax code is 489L. Is this correct or should i call the tax office? someone here has experienced the same problema as me?
Also, am I entitled to claim any "job expenses" for being a cabin crew?.

thanks for the information.

GalleyWench
26th Nov 2005, 23:21
jur99, Do you also do self assesment? It would never hurt to call the tax office, they are suprisingly helpful. Their office is on High St Ken if you live in London- they have helped me with filing amended returns for years that I was taxed incorrectly.

sikeano
28th Nov 2005, 20:26
code 489l means the first 4890 you earn in the year is tax free
then they have a calculation like the next 3k 10% and the rest at 22% etc
it is an good idea to send over your p60 to your tax office normally it is printed in your payslip or payroll people know where it is they do take upto three years back p60 they will do the calculations and if they find you have paid more tax(:{ )
they will refund you
the above figures are ball park i could be out by a k or less
cheers :ok:

p.s. if your wages vary month to month there is a good reason you might have paid more tax then normal so it is a good idea to send in your p60s to inland rev

FormerFlyer
29th Nov 2005, 08:30
489L is the standard single person's allowance. Depending on your employer you may be entitles to job expenses - like others have said, speak to your local tax office for advice they are helpful and just out to get your pennies!!

cheers ;)
FF