PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sick as a parrot

Epsilon minus
25th Nov 2005, 18:00
Foul-mouthed parrot is ordered ashore by Navy

A Royal Navy parrot with a reputation for embarrassing top brass with her salty language has been ordered ashore.

But it was not Sunny's swearing that led to her being taken off the frigate Lancaster. She has been given extended shore leave on medical advice after plucking out her feathers and looking withdrawn.

Sunny, a six-year-old African grey with the official service number of RN Parrot No 1, has a habit of squawking "arse" and "bollocks" at inappropriate moments.

During a visit in 2001 by the First Sea Lord, Sunny was banished to a wardroom broom cupboard but could still be heard uttering expletives. Besides a comprehensive list of oaths, her favourite phrases are "Zulus, thousands of 'em" and "You ain't seen nothing, right?"

Shore leave was ordered when Lancaster returned to its home port, Portsmouth, after tours of duty to the Falklands, Middle East and Africa.

Sunny is now recuperating with the family of Lt Mari Duffy, one of the ship's officers, and her feathers are growing again.

mingthemerciless
25th Nov 2005, 18:36
One wouldnt have had foul mouthed birds on board a few years ago. What is the world coming to:}

bwfg3
26th Nov 2005, 19:58
I'm the owner of an African Grey, and they are intelligent, sensitive creatures. The feather plucking is due to boredom and, in some cases, sexual frustration. I sincerley hope that this bird is treated properly and gets well while ashore. Mine is a pain in the arse, but is happy and enters into bouts of sexism by telling the missus to " get me dinner love" and taking the curtains down for washing every week or so:E

g126
27th Nov 2005, 21:04
This is what the British military is missing these days, outragous little quirks like this. Long may it continue. Hope sunny does well.

Epsilon minus
28th Nov 2005, 19:26
how about a Sunny watch just to keep us all updated as to the swearing avians progress? Anybody out there have privileged access

bad livin'
28th Nov 2005, 22:19
Believe me...there are plenty more foul mouthed birds in the RN than this avian comedian.

Onan the Clumsy
29th Nov 2005, 03:22
If it's grey, and in the military, doesn't that make it a German parrot?

teeteringhead
29th Nov 2005, 07:08
Can't be German .... it appears to have a sense of humour!

southside
29th Nov 2005, 08:16
Sunny took over from a parrot called Jenny (obviously) who had a real bad moth on her.

She also took a clear dislike to the XO's wife and when ever the XO's wife came onboard and entered the wardroom you could hear a very loud screech of...

SLAAAAAAAAAG ..........