PDA

View Full Version : RAF Helo gets blown out of the sky

Widger
25th Nov 2005, 11:49
A report in today's Torygraph:

Michael Mulford from the RAF reports that "The weather was ferocious. It almost blew the helicopter out of the sky" An interesting phenomena! Who is this RAF Spokesman?

Well done to the crews nevertheless, it must have been some challenging flying!

InTgreen
25th Nov 2005, 17:43
While I had my eyes closed, it wasn't that bad......

JTIDS
25th Nov 2005, 23:50
InTgreen...

request permission to giggle...

Max Contingency
26th Nov 2005, 08:38
Two things to remember here:

Any publicity is good publicity as long as they spell your name right.

The most read daily in the Uk is the Sun and it is written for a literacy age of 11!

Widger - You asked who is this spokesman. I have met Mr Mulford, he is a professional who makes himself available H24 to publicise our good work (try using the MOD press desk at 0300hr!). I am also confident that an expression like that will only have been in his press release if someone involved in the incident gave it to him.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Mr Point
26th Nov 2005, 10:35
Michael Mulford is the PRO Scotland, based at Kinloss and works, effectively, as part of the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre.

Although his descriptions of incidents are sometimes "colourful", he does an exceptional job of painting the SAR Force, and indeed military, in a very good light. He is a journalist by trade, hence the media soundbites, but has worked for the RAF for about 5 years.

With all of the negative publicity the MOD has received during the last year, I think a few OTT comments can be forgiven, particularly when the public hear that the RAF and RN are risking life and limb in poor weather to rescue civilians.

adr
26th Nov 2005, 11:01
Well said. "The weather was ferocious. It almost blew the helicopter out of the sky," will communicate far more effectively to the vast majority of readers than, say, "The severe meteorological conditions were close to the limits for the type of aircraft deployed on this operation. It experienced hazardous turbulence."

Good work, MM.

adr

tyne
26th Nov 2005, 11:10
As a journo - not working on this present story - who has done work with SAR crews in yellow and grey cabs, I should like to endorse Mr Mulford's work.

A top press officer, who gives us what we want, and I believe serves your needs excellently.

Dan.

Deselecting and Stopping Olys now to go back into my hole!!

Impiger
26th Nov 2005, 18:16
I too have worked closely with MM over the years and endorse the spirit of this thread. His waistcoats may resemble those of an international snooker player but he serves us extremely well. In particular he can paint a picture that journos and the public understand. We know the wind wouldn't have knocked the heckiplopter out of the sky but in trying to describe the conditions a more scientifically accurate description of Bernoullis Laws, standing waves, vortexes (or should that be vorteces? gave up Latin too young!) and rotor slap really wouldn't mean much to the man on the Inverness omnibus would it?

Farmer 1
27th Nov 2005, 07:42
Vortices, actually. Well, you did ask!

Actually, I understand vortexes is (are?) allowable.

FJJP
27th Nov 2005, 08:20
We know the wind wouldn't have knocked the heckiplopter out of the sky
I seem to remember seeing a video of a Blackhawk on a rescue mission being blown towards the snow-covered mountainside and suffering a blade strike and subsequent crash and roll down the hill... [can't find the link]

wub
27th Nov 2005, 10:31
FJJP:
Here's the link
http://www.augustoheli.com/videostu...ale/mn_hood.avi

PS: I know MM and he does a great job IMHO