PDA

View Full Version : Knock-on delays due to weather and compensation

25th Nov 2005, 09:22
I understand that airlines have to pay compensation when a flight is delayed by more than 2 hours, but that they can avoid it if the disruption is caused by the weather. My question is what happens if that has a knock-on effect on operations during the rest of the day.

To give an example, this morning's Aer Lingus flight from Cork to Amsterdam has a delay of slightly over 3 hours because of weather conditions in Amsterdam. That means that passengers on the midday flight from Cork to Paris are likely to suffer a delay of over 2 hours. Would the Paris passengers be able to claim compensation or can Aer Lingus claim that this delay was also due to weather conditions?

The SSK
25th Nov 2005, 10:20
I understand that airlines have to pay compensation when a flight is delayed by more than 2 hours You are about the millionth person to have got this wrong (where is this misinformation coming from?)

Airlines are required to compensate passengers denied boarding due to overbooking, and passengers whose flight is cancelled for reasons outside the airline's control.

In the case of long delays (whatever the reason), they are obliged to provide refreshments, then meals and eventually accommodation.

Look up the rules - it's not difficult. I can't be bothered to.

25th Nov 2005, 11:08
You are about the millionth person to have got this wrong (where is this misinformation coming from?)

Apologies.

I checked out the rules and the two hour rule only applies if you get put on a different flight and that flight arrives more than 2 hours later.

I'll delete the topic when people have had a chance to read this reply.

BRUpax
25th Nov 2005, 11:26
The SSK

Actually it's a fine example of a European bureaucratic piece of wishwash, with more holes than Swiss cheese and so open to individual interpretation, that it's virtually worthless. The only airlines which will respect it (or better it) are those which already do!

striparella
26th Nov 2005, 21:29
And in fact, for weather the airline can technically give out nada as it it beyond their control - even though some pax do insist mother natures works for the airline as well.

If a flight is cancelled due to weather or even delayed, you really - and legally - could end up with nothing from the airline. You'd have to take it up with your travel insurance.

It just that for good customer services an airline might strecth to a cup of tea and a biscuit.

The new EU rules are full of 'yer but no but' situations.

Shack37
26th Nov 2005, 23:06
If you have a question, go ahead and ask it. That's what the site is for. In this case apologies are owed to you.

SSK
For the millionth time, you may know everything but not all of us are so blessed.

S37

The SSK
28th Nov 2005, 08:25
Shack37
I don't 'know everything' but I try and inform myself before I post. The new rules are freely available to anybody who wants to study them.

Striparella above is also wrong when he/she says the airline can technically give out nada.

in the event of long delays (two hours or more, depending on the distance of the flight), passengers must in every case be offered free meals and refreshments plus two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails;
if the time of departure is deferred until the next day, passengers must also be offered hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the place of accommodation; From The European Commission's website (http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l24173.htm)

striparella
28th Nov 2005, 19:11
^ I'm sorry maybe it's different for short haul if that's what you're referring to... but in accordance with the European Union’s Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, only after 4 HOURS of delay will phone calls/faxes/emails/food/drink be given out.

After five hours tha pax can choose to cancel the delayed sector and get a refund for any onward conx that would now be pointless because the pax is cancelling this part of the journey.

And!

Compensation may not be offered if the cause of the cancellation is beyond the airlines control, or for cancellations which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures could have been taken. This includes the impact of weather conditions, air traffic management decisions, national disasters, technical faults with the aircraft that may affect its safety, industrial disputes, political instability and security risks.

BELIEVE ME! When you've stood in front of 300 people and told them they are going to have to find their own place to sleep til the next day due to weather, or an industrial dispute as i have done, you know your rights!

Like i say some airlines may provide hotels/meals for weather etc as good customer service but by no means are they obliged to.

TotalBeginner
28th Nov 2005, 20:49
http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/rights/doc/2005_01_19_apr_poster_en.pdf

According to this, WHENEVER the flight is cancelled, you are entitled to hotel accomodation.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/rights/doc/2005_01_19_apr_factsheet_en.pdf

If the cancellation, WHATEVER THE CAUSE, delays passengers five hours or more they are entitled to: Refund, flight back to original point of departure, meals and refreshments, and HOTEL ACCOMODATION if an overnight stay is required

striparella
28th Nov 2005, 23:07
^ Do you see what airlines have to deal with?
It's such a grey area.

I'm not that technically minded that i can get the link from the website to prove to you i am correct.

But there is no way an airline has to put pax in a hotel for something it can't control.

It would put them out of business. I know it's nicer to believe they would help you out but hey we all have to make money these days and that's hard enough without having to stick 400 pax in an expensive airport hotel for something you can't control.

And no amount of quoting from obscure websites will change my mind!

The SSK
28th Nov 2005, 23:15
Give up TotalBeginner.

Ms Striparella knows better. She doesn't need to look up the rule book because she *knows* it already.

It is precisely because people are ignorant of the rules - passengers and (evidently) staff - that misunderstandings and disputes arise.

TotalBeginner
28th Nov 2005, 23:37
Easyjet seem to know the rules

QUOTE:

If your flight is cancelled as a result of extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even though we took all reasonable steps , including but not limited to:

Air Traffic Control
Weather
Civil unrest
Terrorist alerts and Security alerts
Strike Action
Unexpected flight safety shortcomings

easyJet will not compensate you further other than providing you with one of the following options (“Re-routing and Reimbursement Options”):

You will be entitled to:

1. Re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

2. Re-routing to your final destination at later date at your convenience and subject to availability; or

3. A refund of the fare paid for the journey not made and for the journey already made where the flight no longer serves the purpose of the original travel plan. This refund can be claimed by visiting our website (www.easyJet.com) and completing the online cancelled flight form in the contact us section. Additionally, where relevant, we will offer a return flight to the first point of departure at the earliest available time.

IN ADDITION, you will be offered free of charge two telephone calls, or telex or fax messages or emails.

Where you choose to be re-routed at the earliest opportunity:

1. You will be provided with meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to your waiting time; and

2. If an overnight stay is required because the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, easyJet shall offer you HOTEL ACCOMODATION and transport between the airport and the hotel FREE OF CHARGE.

tom de luxe
29th Nov 2005, 17:29
Easyjet seem to know the rules (...)
Also, EasyJet's profits are much lower than, say, Ryanair's.
:E

TotalBeginner
29th Nov 2005, 20:36
Absolutely TDL, and their ticket prices are probably a bit more expensive, it's swings and roundabouts. :D