PDA

View Full Version : OLOG Management Problems Get Worse!!!

SASless
25th Nov 2005, 04:11
November 23, 2005 04:18 PM US Eastern Timezone

Offshore Logistics, Inc. Announces Decision to Restate Previously Issued Financial Statements; Previously Issued Financial Statements Should No Longer Be Relied Upon

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 23, 2005--Offshore Logistics, Inc. (NYSE: OLG) announced today it has made the determination that it is necessary to restate the Company's consolidated financial statements to accrue for payroll taxes, penalties and interest attributable to underreported employee payroll amounts and to report customer reimbursements as revenue and direct costs. Therefore, the Company has concluded that its historical consolidated financial statements for fiscal years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 and for quarterly periods in fiscal year 2005, and its results for fiscal year 2005 reported in its press release dated June 8, 2005, should no longer be relied upon in light of this restatement.

The determination that the historical consolidated financial statements should no longer be relied upon was made by the Audit Committee of the Company's Board of Directors on November 23, 2005 following the recommendation of the Company's senior management. The restatement will be reflected in the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005, which the Company currently expects to be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") by December 16, 2005. The Company's historical consolidated financial statements should not be relied upon until the restatement is filed and the information disclosed in the restatement is considered.
As previously disclosed, in February 2005, the Company voluntarily advised the staff of the SEC that the Audit Committee of its Board of Directors had engaged special outside counsel to undertake a review of certain payments made by two of the Company's affiliated entities in a foreign country. The review of these payments, which initially focused on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, was subsequently expanded to cover operations in other countries and other issues (the "Internal Review"). The SEC initially notified the Company that it had initiated an informal inquiry and requested that the Company provide certain documents on a voluntary basis. Subsequently, the SEC advised the Company that the inquiry had become an investigation. The Company has responded to the SEC's requests for documents and intends to continue to respond to the SEC's inquiries.

As a result of the findings to date from the Internal Review, the Company currently expects to adjust its historical financial statements to accrue for payroll taxes, penalties and interest attributable to underreported employee payroll. This adjustment is currently expected to result in reductions in operating income from previously reported amounts in the range of approximately $2 million to $5 million for each of the fiscal years ended March 31, 2005, 2004 and 2003, and approximately $4 million to $6 million in the aggregate for earlier fiscal years.

The Company's management has separately determined that the Company was not reporting reimbursements for costs received from the Company's customers in accordance with United States generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP"). The Company's customers reimburse it for certain costs incurred on their behalf, which have historically been recorded as receivables. In accordance with GAAP, the Company will adjust its historical financial statements to reflect such reimbursement as an increase in revenue and a corresponding increase in expense. This adjustment is currently expected to result in increases in operating revenues and direct costs in the range of approximately $40 million to $60 million for each of the fiscal years ended March 31, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 and 2001, respectively, from previously reported amounts, with no impact on income from operations or net income.

The SEC investigation and the Internal Review remain ongoing. While the information in this press release describes all of the items for which the Audit Committee and the Company's management have determined a restatement is appropriate at this time, there can be no assurance that the ongoing investigation, review and inquiry will not identify additional items. In addition, as the Internal Review continues, new issues may surface that could impact the Company's issued financial statements and the scope of the restatement described in this press release. The impact of the restatement described above, as well as additional restatements, if any, then determined to be appropriate, will be included in the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005 when it is filed with the SEC. While the Company is continuing in its efforts to respond to the SEC's investigation and the Internal Review and provide all information required, the Company cannot predict their outcome. The outcome of the SEC investigation and any related legal and administrative proceedings could include the institution of administrative, civil injunctive or criminal proceedings involving the Company as well as current or former employees of the Company and the imposition of fines and other penalties, remedies and sanctions. Also, it is possible that third party litigation will result and one lawsuit has been filed against two of the Company's subsidiaries in a foreign jurisdiction as a result of actions taken by the Company in connection with the Internal Review. In addition, in view of the findings of the Internal Review, the Company expects to encounter difficulties in the future conducting business in certain foreign jurisdictions and with certain customers. Such payments, fines, penalties, litigation and related expenses and/or difficulties may be materially disruptive to the Company's operations and could have a material adverse effect on the Company's business, financial condition and/or results of operations.

Preparation and completion of the Company's financial statements in connection with its annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005 are ongoing, and the financial information presented in this press release, including the cumulative effects of the restatement described above, is preliminary and subject to adjustment. The Company plans to complete its evaluation of these matters prior to the filing of its annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005. Investors are cautioned not to rely on the Company's historical financial statements for fiscal years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 and for quarterly periods in fiscal year 2005, or on the Company's results for fiscal year 2005 reported in its press release dated June 8, 2005, until the restatement is filed and the information disclosed in the restatement is considered.

The Company is currently evaluating the impact of the matters described above on its internal control over financial reporting and its disclosure controls and procedures, and expects to disclose its conclusions and remedial actions in its annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005. The Company's Audit Committee and management have discussed the matters disclosed in this press release with KPMG LLP, the Company's independent registered public accounting firm.

Statements contained in this press release that state the Company's or management's intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions of the future, including its expected adjustments to previously reported financial results, are forward-looking statements. It is important to note that the Company's actual results could differ materially from those projected in such forward-looking statements. The actual restated amounts will depend on a number of factors, including the ongoing Internal Review. Additional information concerning factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements is contained from time to time in the Company's SEC filings, including but not limited to the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended March 31, 2004 and the Company's reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended June 30, 2004, September 30, 2004, and December 31, 2004. Offshore Logistics, Inc. disclaims any intention or obligation to revise any forward-looking statements, including financial estimates, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Offshore Logistics, Inc. is a major provider of helicopter transportation services to the oil and gas industry worldwide. Through its subsidiaries, affiliates and joint ventures, the Company provides transportation services in most oil and gas producing regions including the United States Gulf of Mexico and Alaska, the North Sea, Africa, Mexico, South America, Australia, Russia, Egypt and the Far East. The Company's Common Stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol OLG.

Whirlygig
25th Nov 2005, 06:31
I think this was posted earlier yesterday, as I have read it before.

As one of these dreadful beancounters, I can read between the lines and make a guess at the scenario that has led to this situation. If, what I suspect is true and is IT most likely, it doesn't bode will for the competency of their senior financial management.

If Heliport allows me, I'll tell you what I think happened. Can't believe no-one spotted it!

Cheers

Whirls

heli1
25th Nov 2005, 11:39
Nigeria or Russia ? !

rotor-rooter
25th Nov 2005, 13:34
Nigeria is the obvious one, but Brazil is where many skeletons are resident!

I would be interested in your analysis Whirly, as I am sure would many others.

Whirlygig
25th Nov 2005, 14:02
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but from my reading of the above post, we are talking about Consolidated Financial Statements which means that it would be hard to say whether it's Russia/Nigeria or whereever.

The company appears to be quoted on the New York Stock Exchange and therefore, I would imagine has to abide by US accounting policies.

I have assumed that Offshore Logistics Inc is a US parent company and the others are either subsidiary companies based abroad or operating branches.

Shall I just tell you two little stories; both true and happened to me recently.

A short while ago, I worked for the UK subsidiary of a US owned company as Financial Controller.

This US parent company tried to pay the UK staff through US payroll as they didn't trust me to do it. Whilst they managed to work out employee tax, they had no mechanism to pay it over to Her Majesty's Inland Revenue and neither did they even account for employer's taxation.

However, it took some stern letters from our auditors to tell them how wrong they were but it probably cost them £50k in penalties and profit (since they didn't accrue for the employer's National Insurance).

As an auditor as well, I have come across a few companies who have operating branches in foreign countries but have had no idea how to pay their local staff. So they just pay them gross without any deduction of employee or employer taxes.

The second example was when I took over as a Financial Controller in a company that had just gone through Administration (i.e. it went bust!). This was a UK company with an operating branch is the US. The previous accountant paid the US staff gross only and failed to account for any US taxes on behalf of the employees and IRS. We had to employ a US accountant to sort out the mess and we agreed to pay the employees interest and penalties (although not their tax obviously!). The we took on the services of a US payroll bureau.

It amazes me that any qualified accountant in any country could not realise that the administration of employee taxes has to be done nominally in that country! And that any qualified Auditor doesn't spot it for five years (as happened in my second example and possibly others!)

So, I hope these examples might illustrate my thought processes?!

Cheers

Whirls

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
25th Nov 2005, 14:22
Whirls,

I don't understand all the legalese in Sas's post, but I know (so does Sas) that a few senior people in one of OLOG's affiliates (OLOG own 49% of them) have gone "down the road" recently. Word is they fell on their swords rather than suffer the indignity of being pushed.

Maybe connected to this ?

NEO

Whirlygig
25th Nov 2005, 14:29
NEO,

that I cannot say.

What the Press Release tells me, as an Accountant, not as a 130 hour PPL(H)!!!, is that the senior finance guys may have misinterpreted international taxation requirements. I shall try to be careful otherwise my very good friend Flying Lawyer will smack my botty but I think the above is a finance issue only rather than an operational one.

However, it probably does mean, after restating their profits (and downwards is the ONLY way!) that there might be a bit of belt tightening.

However, I would be very concerned at their finance team getting something like this wrong and it doesn't look good on their auditors either.

Cheers

Whirls

bondu
25th Nov 2005, 18:47
So a potential strike at OLOG's UK subsidiary Bristow will not go down too well with the OLOG board or Wall Street!!

bondu

Hippolite
26th Nov 2005, 11:40
Whirls and Rotor rooter

"Strictly" speaking, BHL operates in Nigeria as BH(N)L and has legitimte Nigerian directrs and shreholders of the Nigerian Company. Heard recently that they had not been "paid" legiimately for some time and were not happy.

Can only draw the conclusion that as a result of the SEC investigations that all overseas payments have been stopped by OLOG parent.

Brazil was mentioned, add Mexico to that as well for some skeletons.

Any idea who from the 49% owned subsidiary went down the road?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
26th Nov 2005, 12:26
Hippo,

Mainly bean counters I hear, along with the MD of BHNL.

NEO

SASless
27th Nov 2005, 05:38
With our guy headed to Thailand for a Sabbatical......who is going to take charge in Lagos? Will the usual gang of suspects be tapped.....or will there be constructive change this time?

Reckon there will be a change in the automobile leasing outfit?

Hippolite
27th Nov 2005, 07:12
SAS

Now I like to think that I am reasonably inside this great industry, but Thailand and Automobile Leasing is a bit cryptic for me I'm afraid.

Can you explain more?

Hip

bellboy
29th Nov 2005, 20:31
SASLESS
Get a life!
Are you not old enough to realise that some of us need to earn a living with your old company?
There is no personal vendetta, most of the workforce cant even remember who the hell you are.

212man
2nd Dec 2005, 04:31
Offshore Logistics Announces New Financial Team

HOUSTON--Dec. 1, 2005--Offshore Logistics, Inc. (NYSE:OLG) announced today the appointment of Perry L. Elders as Senior Financial Advisor, Joe Baj as Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary and Elizabeth Brumley as Controller. While the CFO position will be open following the previously announced departure of Mr. Brian Voegele, Mr. Elders will advise and consult with management regarding financial matters.

William E. Chiles, President and CEO, stated, "I am excited to announce these three key financial appointments, which will make a significant contribution to our business. Perry's extensive experience with large, global, oilfield service companies will be a tremendous asset to our organization. Joe has been with our company since July 2005, and his promotion to Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary is well deserved. We will benefit from his prior treasury experience with a large international offshore drilling company. Liz's significant accounting experience with complex international organizations is a wonderful enhancement of our finance team. I am excited to bring Perry and Liz on board and announce Joe's promotion."

Mr. Elders is a Director with Sirius Solutions L.L.L.P. since June 2005 and provides financial consulting services to public companies, including international oilfield equipment manufacturing and drilling companies. Prior to joining Sirius Solutions, Mr. Elders was the Vice President Finance and Chief Accounting Officer for Vetco International, Inc., a global oilfield equipment manufacturer and construction company. Prior to September 2003, Mr. Elders was a partner in the Houston audit practices of Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP and Arthur Andersen LLP. During his 20 years in public accounting Mr. Elders served a large number of international oilfield service companies with global operations, specializing in public security offerings as well as mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Elders is a Certified Public Accountant and member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He is a native Houstonian and earned a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from New Mexico State University in 1983. He lives in Houston with his wife and two children.

Prior to joining Offshore Logistics as Assistant Treasurer, Mr. Baj was previously employed by Transocean Inc., a worldwide provider of offshore drilling services. He joined Transocean in 1997 and held positions in treasury, most recently Assistant Treasurer. Prior to Transocean, Mr. Baj held various treasury and investor relations positions with Sterling Chemicals, Inc., a commodity chemical manufacturer, having joined the company in 1987. From 1983 to 1987, Mr. Baj worked in the treasury group of Anderson, Clayton and Co., a diversified food manufacturer acquired in 1986. Mr. Baj earned a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration in 1980 and a Master's Degree in Finance in 1983 from Texas A&M University. He lives in Houston.

In 2005, prior to joining Offshore Logistics, Ms. Brumley was the Vice President and Controller of Noble Drilling Services, Inc., an international offshore drilling company. From 1996 to early 2005, she was with MAXXAM Inc. and served in various positions of increasing responsibility, culminating as Vice President and Controller. She previously worked for GulfMark Offshore, Inc. (formerly GulfMark International, Inc.), where she served as Controller from 1990 until 1996. Ms. Brumley was a senior auditor with Arthur Andersen LLP prior to joining GulfMark in December 1987. She is a Certified Public Accountant and earned a Bachelor's Degree in English and Master's Degree in Accounting from Rice University in 1981. Ms. Brumley lives in Houston with her husband and two children.

nutcracker43
2nd Dec 2005, 08:53
212 man.

Isn't the new team just wonderful? Hope they make a better job of things than the previous people.

Bellboy.

No need to get personal about Sassless, or anyone for that matter. Maybe Sassless understands the problem just a bit better than you do. Just for the record, Sassless's photograph may be found in the passageway (The BHL of fame) at BHL Aberdeen. He is the one piloting the Allouette in Iran (possibly before you even joined BHL, or were even born...perhaps I'm guessing here).

Thank you.

NC43

mrwellington
2nd Dec 2005, 09:15
"Joe has been with our company since July 2005, and his promotion to Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary is well deserved "

:rolleyes: :eek::uhoh:

SASless
4th Dec 2005, 02:58
Nut,

Bellboy will one day learn just how small a world it is....and a much smaller industry in which we work.

As Nut can explain....that old greasy pole leading to management is hard to climb and harder to hang on to when at the skinny top.

There are no secrets that remain so for very long.....and it is proven conventional wisdom.... that what goes around comes around. When one runs a " find the pea game"....it helps if one remembers which shell you put the pea under.

Was not the last bunch of bean counters ex-Arthur Anderson types too? Is this becoming a new bastion of Enron watchdogs?

Maybe we better start a new thread...."Watch on the OLOG stock price!".

Nut....you might want to start a new business....selling paper shredders to the Mandarins!

Nut....was that Kodak moment the one where I was flying barefooted or the posed one?

nutcracker43
4th Dec 2005, 16:11
SAS dear boy,

You looked comparitively clean, clean shaven and smooth. Do you wear shoes nowadays?

NC43

SASless
4th Dec 2005, 17:11
Shoes? Wear them only when doing math or walking in sand spurs.

Yahoo Finance has a Message Board under the OLOG Stock Symbol of "olg" that has a good argument going between two guys discussing the effect of the re-stating of revenue and such in regards the share price.

The one guy talks of Twenty-two Cents (USD) per share whereas the other fellow talks of much more serious repercussions.

Maybe Whirls can apply her professional skills to this and enlighten us mere mortals. I bet she keeps those hiking boots firmly in place when she does sums unlike some of the rest of us.

In addition to the straight forward recalculation....will there be an "emotional" response by investors to all of this?

Air Log is running 42-45 Pilots short per day in the GOM....thus business is booming....OLOG is buying (or at least ordered...) lots of new helicopters. Is there a serious blow to future prospects for OLOG...or is this just a minor "Burp" and not a major "Belch"?

diginagain
4th Dec 2005, 17:26
Ms. Brumley was the Vice President and Controller of Noble Drilling Services, Inc.,

..a company whose UK subsidiary's payroll department got their wrists slapped a few years ago for deducting full NI contributions from it's UK domiciled employees, and failing to hand anything over to NICO.

Small beer in comparison, but the smell lingers.

SASless
24th Dec 2005, 23:33
This is the link to the complete SEC filing by OLOG.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/73887/000095012905012004/h31146e10vk.htm

An excerpt.....

RISK FACTORS

If you hold our securities or are considering an investment in our securities, you should carefully consider the following risks, together with the other information contained in this Annual Report.

The SEC investigation, any related proceedings in other countries and the consequences of the activities identified in the Internal Review could result in civil or criminal proceedings, the imposition of fines and penalties, the commencement of third-party litigation, the incurrence of expenses, the loss of business and other adverse effects on our Company.

In October 2005, the Audit Committee reached certain conclusions with respect to findings to date from the Internal Review. The Audit Committee concluded that, over a considerable period of time, (a) improper payments were made by, and on behalf of, certain foreign affiliated entities directly or indirectly to employees of the Nigerian government, (b) improper payments were made by certain foreign affiliated entities to Nigerian employees of certain customers with whom we have contracts, (c) inadequate employee payroll declarations and, in certain instances, tax payments were made by us or our affiliated entities in certain jurisdictions, (d) inadequate valuations for customs purposes may have been declared in certain jurisdictions resulting in the underpayment of import duties, and (e) an affiliated entity in a South American country, with the assistance of our personnel and two of our other affiliated entities, engaged in transactions which appear to have assisted the South American entity in the circumvention of currency transfer restrictions and other regulations. In addition, as a result of the Internal Review, the Audit Committee and management determined that there were deficiencies in our books and records and internal controls with respect to the foregoing and certain other activities.

Based on the Audit Committee’s findings and recommendations, the Board of Directors has taken disciplinary action with respect to our personnel who it determined bore responsibility for these matters. The disciplinary actions included termination or resignation of employment (including certain members of senior management), changes of job responsibility, reductions in incentive compensation payments and reprimands. One of our affiliates has also obtained the resignation of certain of its personnel.

We have initiated remedial action, including initiating action to correct underreporting of payroll tax, disclose to certain customers inappropriate payments made to customer personnel and terminate certain agency, business and joint venture relationships. We also have taken steps to reinforce our commitment to conduct our business with integrity by creating an internal corporate compliance function, instituting a new code of business conduct (our new code of business conduct entitled “Code of Business Integrity” is available on our website, http://www.olog.com) and developing and implementing a training program for all employees. In addition to the disciplinary actions referred to above, we have also taken steps to strengthen our control environment by hiring new personnel and realigning reporting lines within the accounting function so that field accounting reports directly to the corporate accounting function instead of operations management.

Based on the Audit Committee’s findings and recommendations, the Board of Directors has taken disciplinary action with respect to our personnel who it determined bore responsibility for these matters. The disciplinary actions included termination or resignation of employment (including certain members of senior management), changes of job responsibility, reductions in incentive compensation payments and reprimands. One of our affiliates has also obtained the resignation of certain of its personnel.

• The Company failed to follow procedures that addressed concerns raised by employees about improper activities, and certain members of our former senior management failed to set the proper ethical tone.

SHortshaft
28th Dec 2005, 05:46
As an outsider, and someone who is not regularly exposed to a ‘PC’ world, I found the Code of Business Integrity fascinating.

However my understanding is challenged by one sentence, and may be SASless can help me out here, what does ‘sexually degrading words used to describe an individual’ mean?

SASless
28th Dec 2005, 12:29
I believe the concern there is one should not call an Engineer a Mechanic.

.....that or one should leave out "fecking" when referring to Whinging POM's.

Actually,

I have no earthly idea. I have never worked in the GOM.

I shall make inquiries forthwith and with all due haste in order to ascertain the intent of this concern.

SASless
13th Jul 2006, 17:58
SEC filings done this month by Bristow (what used to be called OLOG) indcates it paid 13.1 Million USD this year as a result of the SEC and DOJ investigations regarding Corrupt Business Practices in Nigeria and South America. That was up from 2.2 Million USD last year.

They also mention the possibility of business curtailments in Nigeria that could cause significant problems if customers or the government of Nigeria pursue further action such as disbarment or suspension of Bristow from doing business within Nigeria or even other locations in the oil patch.

Nigeria operations provided 115.9 Million USD in gross revenue (14% of Bristow gross revenue) and accounted for 28 aircraft. If the government of Nigeria suspends their operations there might also be problems in removing the aircraft from the country.

The annual report is found at this link:

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?dcn=0000950129-06-006133&Type=HTML

TomBola
13th Jul 2006, 20:34
And Gasping Harry is now where?....... and Fred, where?

SASless
13th Jul 2006, 21:04
Fred is now DirOps for GHC after a few months as a line pilot. A former GHC DirOps is at Escravos for Pan African thus it seems almost a trade.