PDA

View Full Version : Yellow A109 taking off from Newbury today

The Nr Fairy
16th Feb 2001, 18:37
I've not seen a post since 11:45, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything about the yellow A109 which was taking off from somewhere near central Newbury about 1300 today. I'd never thought of Newbury, at least that close to the town centre, as having enough space to get a heli in.

Qualityman
16th Feb 2001, 19:40
Don't actually have any confirmation of this, but if it's in the Newbury area, there is a very strong chance that it was the Thames Valley Air Ambulance based at White Waltham.

Hoverman
16th Feb 2001, 22:46
Nr Fairey
Why the 'dismayed' emoticon?
Attractive helicopter, reasonable day. Didn't the sight make you :) or even :)

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

piloteddy
16th Feb 2001, 22:53
I agree with you Qualityman, its very probabily the Thames Valley Air Ambulance.

If you want any more info click on the link below:

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/misc/blues2.htm#thames

Hope it helps,

--------------------
PilotEddy

Flying Lawyer
17th Feb 2001, 01:42
Was this it?

http://www.helispot.com/photos/02572.jpg

I was also puzzled by the 'dismayed' emoticon?

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 16 February 2001).]

The Nr Fairy
17th Feb 2001, 02:27
I'm puzzled by the "dismayed" emoticon as well because it shows up as the sheet of paper on my one.

I don't think it's the one in the piccie posted by FL, because it was all yellow, not a hint of cheat stripes.

I think, from where I saw it first ( about 100' before it transitioned away to the east ) it might be a corporate charter, and the nearest hospital or ambulance site are no-where near.

I'll find out eventually !!

[This message has been edited by The Nr Fairy (edited 16 February 2001).]

Hoverman
17th Feb 2001, 02:38
Why the interest in whose A109 it was?

The Nr Fairy
17th Feb 2001, 02:41
I suppose because in 5 1/2 years of working in Newbury, and going to the town centre lots of times, it's the first time I've seen a helicopter take off from the Newbury "urban area" itself - plenty overfly, and I've stopped looking out the window if it's a Wokka because there's far too many of them.

And just blind curiosity as well, really.

BTW is the emoticon working as I intended yet ?

Hoverman
17th Feb 2001, 21:00
Yes!

Out of Balance
18th Feb 2001, 03:31
Nr,if it was an Air Ambulance it would not be restricted to landings at hospitals or helipads. They will often land at the scene of the accident and this why helicopters are so effective at this type of work.

Qualityman
19th Feb 2001, 18:22
I still think it was the Air Ambulance from Waltham. G-TVAA shown in the picture above was the aircraft involved in the very unfortunate accident in June last year (Check out the latest AAIB Bulletin www.open.gov.uk/aaib/aaibhome.htm). (http://www.open.gov.uk/aaib/aaibhome.htm).)

The replacement Aircraft is G-TVAC but it does still have the Cheat Stripes the Nr Fairy mentions!

The only other all yellow A109 look alike around here I've ever seen was the A119 Koala when it appeared at Farnborough last year. Anyone from Sloane Helicopters out there got any ideas?

The Nr Fairy
20th Feb 2001, 13:49
I twigged overnight why it couldn't be the TVAA - the piccie above has fixed gear, I'm 99% positive the one I saw had retractable gear.

Ah well, maybe I'll try to get closer next time . . .

[This message has been edited by The Nr Fairy (edited 20 February 2001).]

Foxxy
20th Feb 2001, 21:02
Was it bright yellow, or rusty brown! could have been a US reg A109C

ppheli
21st Feb 2001, 10:04
There is only one yellow 109 in the UK and this is it. Actually the one photo'd has been replaced by G-TVAC (see AAIB Feb 2001 bulletin for G-TVAA which has been discussed here many times before...)

And those wheels do retract

The Nr Fairy
2nd Mar 2001, 13:29
This feels a bit spottery, but I felt I wanted to give a clear resolution to the question I originally asked ( alright, I was wrong, I admit it !! ).

I phoned the TVAA office, and the lady there found out from the crew that the TVAA did attend an accident in Newbury on the 16th, about the time I saw it, so that's it.

And, ppheli, once I'd looked closer at the piccie, I worked it out - thanks.