PDA

View Full Version : Any ATCOs reading this?

aluminium persuader
24th Nov 2005, 22:43
Hi guys!

I have a question or two for Aussie ATCOs, but others fell free to help too!

I'm in the process of weighing up the pros & cons of emigrating from the UK to OZ;

What do you think of ASA as an employer?

Is there any staff travel system (like UKATTS in the UK ) for ATCOs, and if so what sort of rates & airlines?

If there are any Brits out there who've made the jump, a pm would be great.

Thanks!

ap

:ok:

DirtyPierre
24th Nov 2005, 23:23
AP,

Go to the civilair website where your questions will be answered with and without humour.
www.civilair.asn.au

AsA is like any ANS provider. managers are the same the world round (good and bad in similar proportion).

Working conditions are middle of the road compared to the rest of the world. We are going thru a Certified Agreement negotiation with our employer at the moment.

We have a travel club, which gives us access to WIT and Breakaway travel. Often going to Flight Centre travel will get you a better deal.

You can also email HR in both Brisbane and Melbourne Centres and they can email back all sorts of employment conditions to make your decision easier.

Give both the civilair website and HR a try first.

Good luck, DP.

Duff Man
24th Nov 2005, 23:54
ap,

Assuming you haven't looked into it, but the requirements for ATC employment here include Permanent Residency. Although ATC is a govt recognised profession for eligible careers for company-sponsored PR applications, Airservices does not currently facilitate this. There are additional recency rules for experienced controller applications if you do get PR through other means. Check with Airservices Australia. Otherwise you'd have to apply as an ab initio. A friend who is an ex-UK controller eventually got PR but was out of recency... applied as ab initio but failed one of the tests :( Disappointing after waiting 3 years.

aluminium persuader
25th Nov 2005, 06:25
DP - thanks, will do.

DM - are you talking about a female ex-helo controller who sat the aptitude tests a coule of weeks ago?
PR is not a problem as my wife is a senior nurse, and if we emigrate as a family I get immediate residency.

ap

:cool: