PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got an Opinion of Tobago's?

Sunfish
24th Nov 2005, 19:32
Any words of wisdom about the Tobago would be appreciated. Thinking of using one for a little touring.

CAVOK Pilot
24th Nov 2005, 19:49
Haven't got a huge amount of time in one but IMHO:

Pros - Sporting looking plane, good TAS (120), has a CSU, huge tail gives it a 25 KNT max xwind comp, decent fuel consumption (about 40L/h which is not bad when compared to a 36l/h Warrior with a TAS more like 105).

Cons - Glides like a brick, panel looks and feels like a VK Commodore.

2FarCanard
24th Nov 2005, 21:39
Don't park them out in the rain.

Sunfish
24th Nov 2005, 22:29
Found out about the rain thing already. Damp POH. Also the fuel tank caps.

Aerodynamisist
24th Nov 2005, 22:36
Tobago's and Trinidads are a nice aircraft for touring easy to fly with comfortable seats so you don't get a numb bum on the longer sectors and most of the ones you will find in oz are post 1985 and usually with a well equiped panel. for trips of 1500 nm + you might want to crunch the numbers to see if a faster plane will work out cheeper (trinidad, bonza, 210).

Cons - stupid barrel type engine instruments, make sure the cht and oil presure are servicable - The glide performance is not impresive particularly if your used to cessna's so I would recomend a few practise forced landings before you go !
Hot cabin particularly on the ground, you can taxi with a door ajar but make sure some one is holding on to it and make dam sure you close it before to take off (bae at tamworth had a student put one in a padock because the door departed after take off).

I wouldn't think of these cons as reasons not to use a tobago though just issues to consider, I'd take a tobago over a pa 28 or a 172 any day.

Tinstaafl
24th Nov 2005, 23:38
I have ~500hr too many in them.

What I didn't like:

* Inside door handle positioned in exactly the right place to annoy my knee.

* Seat couldn't go back far enough (I'm 6')

* Poor ventilation. One(!) eyeball vent per person. In summer. In Oz. Can taxi with the door unlatched but awkward & heavy to hold onto.

* Lots of glass - including a fairly heavily raked windscreen - makes the a/c a greenhouse. I seem to recall the door windows wrapped over a little bit too.

* Unpleasant control harmony. Heavy in roll, rather light in yaw. The control column is highly geared because full throw needs to be limited to give room for your knees/thighs.

* Awful vis. over the nose for a flapless landing.

* Glides nearly as well as a brick.

* Uncomfortable seat.

* Lacks headroom. I had to slump a bit. I believe there's a mod. or option for a lower seat. Must do wonders for vis. over the nose...

* Slow for the HP. A bit over 120kts at 75% power on book figures. For a 180 HP engine. A C172RG does more than that on ~65%.

* Not exactly a short field a/c.

* Instrument panel sectioning uses up valuable panel space unnecessarily compared to a large flat expanse. A problem only if you want to add more avionics.

* Trim wheel design is unpleasant after prolonged use.

Can't remember my other gripes with the type. It was nearly 10 years ago since I last flew one.

Dogimed
25th Nov 2005, 00:58
Tobago.....Fantastic!

Best Aircraft to do training in...IMHO.

Cons: During any kind of turbulence, your head will hit the roof... and not in a soft spot either.... (the roof, not your head)

Dog

Ozgrade3
25th Nov 2005, 04:00
French Aircraft ...........................says it all.

20 hrs in the Trinidad, not bad but not a nice plane to hand fly.

Did 0.6 in a Tobago and was 0.6 too long. Horrible airoplane, no redeeming features. Only Marginally better that teh T tail Arrow.

A380................. worlds Ugliest aircraft.

VMC TO IMC
25th Nov 2005, 09:53
As far as touring goes it depends on what you are willing to pay for.

Pros
Something that is modern, comfortable (for people under 6 foot), possible IFR rated (handy but not recommeded), handled night VFR flights with plenty of ease, loved the cross wind capability, and from my experience has good reviews from pax (flew from brisbane to longreach)

Cons
Seems to have a fairly expensive hourly hire rate, tas at only 120kts at best (i found it doesn't really like the hotter weather), definately needs rudder trim, doors are more for noviety not practibility, fuel consumption is nothing spectacular considering tas, did i mention it needed rudder trim

I may be able to dig up some loading stats if needed

I guess it is a comprimise between hourly rate and comfort. I would probably opt of a 182rg

Vacant Towers
25th Nov 2005, 10:11
Tinstaafl got it right.

Generally known as the "Toboggan" because it performs well downhill:ok:

VT

gaunty
25th Nov 2005, 13:45
Dunno 'bout the Tobago, but the Trinidad is a really great aircraft.

Traded one some moons ago and recovered it from Halls Creek via Perth to Syd almost non stop, had the most fun sitting down for several days and a great touring machine, including the standard arrival at Bankstown in the middle of the Summer thunderys.

Very comfortable, intuitive controls positioning and everything European style fell comfortably to hand.

Not good in ice but then you're not supposed to be there and glide, schlide you do the best you can.

You wanna efficient airframe and slippery doodle speed, ya don't get Schweizer glide, ya don't don't design it to be excellent without the engine, that's not the point of it is it ?

And anyway that is why God invented 'hats' terry towelling for the use of.:ok: and the view is magnificent.

BTW ya gotta go see the movie "Wolfe Creek", flew a cuppla circuits round inside it in a Trinidad, pretty cool but I never imagined it could produce a movie like it,:yuk:

jon s gull
26th Nov 2005, 06:13
Just my opinion
Cramped cockpit even for lilolme
Poor level of fitout,bits fall off
A bit twitchy for hand flying long trips
Expensive for the space and speed,
Do yourself a favour and get a bonanza endorsement or for a little more space try a saratoga.If thats over the top 172 xp boring but practical I know.
An auto pilot is a good Idea so you can see more of the scenery otherwise take a 2nd officer and a stewardess to get the drinks.
If you plan to use an autopilot learn to use it before you go.They sometimes have hidden traps.

OzExpat
26th Nov 2005, 11:58
I've never flown either the Tobboggan or the Trinidad but I know a bit about flying long distance in single engined aeroplanes... from me youth, ya understand! :D In those days when I didn't know anything about 2-crew ops, CRM etc., I found distinct advantage in having a second pilot and someone in the back to hand out the inflight refreshments! :ok:

The second pilot can relieve the first pilot, from time to time. Flying leg for leg is also good for developing teamwork and the basics of CRM. But it can be a real long time between refuelling (and relief) stops, so best to plan for all those eventualities. :ok:

No matter what type of aircraft you decide to use for a long trip, Sunfish, ensure that your planning goes beyond the aircraft's flight plan.

relax737
27th Nov 2005, 00:17
Don't know anything about them either. Count the engines, divide the number by four, and if you get a result less than 1 (one), don't get in it.

If the answer is 1, it's OK to go.

Arm out the window
27th Nov 2005, 05:22
Tobagos, are they the ones going cheap (like about $50 k or less) in Aviation Trader all the time? If so, are they a good buy or should they be avoided in favour of a similarly priced Cessna or whatever?

I Love This Show
28th Nov 2005, 10:55
For my money, and if I can find one, I go Mooney. the J model I have flown is a fantastic piece of metal - with oxy it'll TAS 170 @ FL 150 - alt tends to be limited by TIT though. Fuel flow around 40- plus GST. One piece main spar for peace of mind, tubular frame makes it both sturdy and heavy. Having said that, it'll still take four fat f#@ks with gear and enough fuel to go from, say, Kunners to Broome with alternate in crappy weather.
Being turboed and slippery, it takes planning to get down right, but a genuinely fun ac to fly.

dude65
29th Nov 2005, 00:04
Arm out the window

This mob seem to be the appointed dealer for Australia

http://www.rgmaviation.com/planes.asp

Arm out the window
29th Nov 2005, 01:56
Thanks Dude, looks like they're selling anyhow from that site.

Atlas Shrugged
29th Nov 2005, 02:07
Geez, that site takes me back - I remember flyin JTY when she was Green and I went almost everywhere in JTB. Anyone know where it ended up?

Jenna Talia
29th Nov 2005, 11:32
Show lover,

The J model Mooney 201 (M20J) is normally aspirated. You must be referring to a K model (M20K) 231 or even a 252, which are both turbo charged.

All excellent touring aircraft. :ok:

Atlas Shrugged
29th Nov 2005, 21:51
JTB was crashed in the Blue Mountains :{ :{ :{ :{ I loved that plane!

bigfella5
30th Nov 2005, 09:14
Wrong guys.....JTB was sold overseas, JTN is still on the field privately owned, JTY is for sale....though i'd not buy it for the asking price!!!