PDA

View Full Version : Commuting options+best pay, AND willing to resign seniority number...

Ignition Override
24th Nov 2005, 05:59
Hello out there: numerous pilots with my company will be laid off this spring, many for their second time after only returning last January(!), and FEDEX (among others[?]) will not even consider an invitation to an interview- or do they assume that a resignation letter is somehow not authentic?

A fellow pilot lives in the northwestern US and prefers not to commute again, but are there any good jobs with cargo or passenger airlines whereby the pilots all have numerous days off in a row and the airline is very tolerant of commuting ( assuming no crewbase on the west coast)?

ALL have unique, solid, first-class qualifications. My partner today instructed pilots in a previous life on the KC-135 (he has the 707 type-rating: these four-engine aircraft had NO Flight engineer, only two highly-motivated pilots...) and is now current on a "classic" narrowbody aircraft which has no computers to fly it -- this alone requires unique abilities. He, among many others, nows spends very little time at home, being on reserve/standby, and has a family. Despite seeing a "gloomy forecast" here on his "company horizon", he has a positive attitude and is top-notch. Any airline would consider itself most fortunate to be ABLE to recruit this type of individual.

Many of these most junior pilots will be furloughed their second time by this company, late in the winter. Many are between age 35 and age 50, and all have extensive experience in multi-turbine, fixed-wing transport category (medium and/or heavy) aircraft, classic and/or FMC operations.

Do any solid Asian airlines (whether passenger or freight) base regular or contract US pilots on the west coast? How about the best corporate flight departments in the northwest?

Thanks very much for any reasonable recommendations. :ok:

LUM
24th Nov 2005, 09:33
Does such an airline, with "good pay, lots of days off in a row, flexible about commuting, etc..." still exists nowadays?
If yes, tell me which one, I'm interrested too!:E

GlueBall
24th Nov 2005, 10:56
Let's see:

1- Soon to be furloughed back-home-every-afternoon domestic airline narrow body pilot:

2- wants job at foreign air carrier, but live at home in USA,

3- doesn't want to commute/deadhead frequently,

4- is new hire but wants numerous consecutive days off,

5- has little or no international living and flying experience,

6- presumedly doesn't want to resign his seniority slot and go back to USA when "recalled."

Sir, ...you must be dreaming. :eek:

Whaledog
24th Nov 2005, 21:40
Should have saved some $$$ from those LARGE Delta airline pay checks ( ?) when you had the chance.....feast then ...
Good luck finding a job like that. welcome to the "dard side"

411A
25th Nov 2005, 00:42
<<Let's see:

1- Soon to be furloughed back-home-every-afternoon domestic airline narrow body pilot:

2- wants job at foreign air carrier, but live at home in USA,

3- doesn't want to commute/deadhead frequently,

4- is new hire but wants numerous consecutive days off,

5- has little or no international living and flying experience,

6- presumedly doesn't want to resign his seniority slot and go back to USA when "recalled.">>

Nope, I wouldn't hire 'em either, nor would I recommend the DirOps do so.
Sounds like they are spoiled to me.:ugh: :}

Now, OTOH, should they decide to resign, pull up stakes and actually live at that foreign base, be prepared to operate our way and not complain, then a company might reconsider.
Not until.

Ignition Override
25th Nov 2005, 05:03
Some of my original statements were not accurate and were contradictory-this is my fault, and have no idea what this has to do with Delta (?).

There seem to have been at least two or three Asian carriers which were to have based pilots on the west coast, possibly Anchorage or Vancouver. We have a guy who interviewed with Cathay a few years ago. Among the three pilots who interviewed, two of the three had many years in transport-category c0ckpits. The guy who was hired was the only young guy and reportedly had very little experience.

But it is clear that this discussion won't produce any helpful, positive responses.

MetAl
26th Nov 2005, 05:27
n a previous life on the KC-135 (he has the 707 type-rating: these four-engine aircraft had NO Flight engineer, only two highly-motivated pilots...) and is now current on a "classic" narrowbody aircraft which has no computers to fly it -- this alone requires unique abilities.

B-52's don't have flight engineers either, so 707 (KC-135) would have been easier, only 4 motors and half as many tanks to worry about? (BTW, Air Canada had DC-8s with no plumber.)

And unique abilities just cause it's a narrow body with steam guages? That's something I'm gonna have to remember, I'm unique cause I can do partial panel.

I don't mean to be snarky, but your buddy will have to come up with something better, these qualities don't make him a stand out in my book.

As far as this discussion providing positive results, give us something to work with.