PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Training Questions

martyngorton
23rd Nov 2005, 15:52
Hi,

I am seriously considering training for a commercial pilot licence. I have no flying experience apart from a 1 hour trial lesson.

I am thinking of firstly doing my PPL out in the USA just to get that out of the way, in the three weeks as a holiday from work. Is that the right thing.

Is there a modular route i can take which enables me to carry on working full time but links all of the training together as one package (PPL, ATPL theory, multi, CPL etc.) Taking holidays where needed for certain aspects of training.

If there is where can this be done UK? USA? Where is best? Looking to the future in relation to job prospects.

Thanks this would be a great help as I am very confused.

Sans Anoraque
23rd Nov 2005, 16:20
Didn't you just ask this?

No, the first step is a Class One medical from the CAA in Gatwick (current cost £450?). Without that, you won't be flying commercially. The required standards for eyesight, hearing etc are described on the CAA website. If you have any doubt about (eg, your eysight) get checked out at an opticians first. It will be a lot cheaper.

Next step - a GAPAN test to see if flying really is for you.

After that, a PPL (3 weeks in the States is one of the best ways) to see whether you are as keen as you think at the moment. You may decide not to go down the commercial road and stay as a private pilot. You may hate flying and change your mind.

After that - now it's time for you to do some work. Everything I've mentioned so far has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Seek and ye shall find. Regarding, for example, modular v integrated - there is no 'best' way. Just the best way for you and your circumstances. I'd also suggest buying Clive Hughes' book (it's one of the cheaper purchases you'll make) again, details via PPRUNE search engine.

Charlie Zulu
23rd Nov 2005, 16:50
A friend called me today as he is looking to go commercial and thus called the CAA. The current cost for an initial JAA Class One medical at Gatwick is £293. There are a few tests which they no longer go through during the initial JAA Class One, thus it being cheaper than it once was. Oh well! Bargain. :D

martyngorton
23rd Nov 2005, 19:12
Thanks for the replies!

markflyer6580
23rd Nov 2005, 21:13
I paid £337 Last week for class one,got the certificate within 5 days.
Sans anoraque has got most of it covered,I have the clive hughes book he mentioned,and its very good,certainly more plain english than some of the rubbish about.
Good Luck with your training:ok: