PDA

View Full Version : air crash investigations ........now ch7

blueloo
23rd Nov 2005, 07:38
its on again 730-840 ch7

aloha airlines

Capt Basil Brush
23rd Nov 2005, 11:13
I hope not too many potential Ozjet pax saw it. (Aloha convertible)

It might put a few of them off the old 737's.
(providing they know their aircraft types)

BB

Centaurus
23rd Nov 2005, 11:44
Watched it and was struck by how many times the commentator (NTSB bloke) kept on repeating the spectre of crash, flames, death and high drama. OK maybe a bit of jazzing up of potential dangers of locked up nosewheel on one occasion, but to keep on harping on and on about death and crash stuff every time he opened his mouth was all too much for me and I switched off.

Capt Claret
23rd Nov 2005, 12:01
Centaurus,

Your comments about the high drama are intersting. Mrs C, despite her fear of flying, is drawn to these air disaster, tunnel disaster, etc. types of show.

Like you, I find the over dramatisation, and also the repetition very off puting, and rarely do more than have a peek whilst reading.

CAVOK Pilot
23rd Nov 2005, 12:49
> repetition very off puting

Mind-numbing wasn't it? :\

After each ad break they go over the whole bloomin' thing again. I reckon you could have shuffled off to do something else, miss almost the whole show and come back on the last segment to catch the few basic facts they are trying so desperately to pad out. I'd rather read it in Mr. Jobs Air Disaster book myself.

Buster Hyman
23rd Nov 2005, 20:07
I recall one show where the re-enactment of the CVR was done on a bare stage without props. I think these shows should either stick with that, or just play the CVR itself. I know this won't make the punters sit on the edge of their seats, but I find the cockpit scenes distracting.

For example, it kept bugging me that I was draw to the non 737 window next to the FO. Stupid, I know, but distracting nonetheless. And when they had touched down, the girl playing the FO sits & pauses for, what I imagine, was dramatic effect before asking "Reversers?" WTF!

You see, this is where a little knowledge, & I'm happy to emphasise little, can spoil the entertainment factor of such shows. Lets face it, anyone who's got AvGas pumping through their veins know all these stories already, but we're sucked in every time...no pun intended.

Oh well, check your guides but I think there's a show on the A380 on Friday night...yeah...I'll watch that one too!:rolleyes:

dodgybrothers
26th Nov 2005, 02:16
because I love a great conspiracy, is there any coincidence that the episode used for the new series of air crash investigation, featured an aging B737-200, of the ozjet type, just prior to their launch and a few days before the A380 propoganda machine rolls out on the same TV channel!!

me thinks the rat is upto its old, yet very good tricks.

Buster Hyman
26th Nov 2005, 08:39
Sorry...Saturday night.

Well, it's good to see that John Travolta is still getting mileage out of that Qantas uniform!:rolleyes: I'm going to a 6 year old birthday party next week,,,I wonder if he'll be there too!:hmm:

SkySista
27th Nov 2005, 11:51
Buster, are you talking about 'Charlie Victor Romeo'? Recall it went round Oz a few years back on the '(City) Arts festiva' circuit, got some good write ups too, I missed out on seeing it as I on;y got the program in the mail AFTER it had already been.... :rolleyes:

I guess we can't expect any huge level of accuracy/attention to detail, but as someone said, it's the little things that grate. One thing i hate on any program, is the showing of a cabin interior, then the exterior shot being of an aircraft that is so obviously different (one common example being, 737 int & 757/767 exterior), worse is when they don't even make an effort to kind of sorta match the livery colours at all!

The theory about the timing is all the more interesting given that no Air Crash is on next week... and every other time it's been run as a series.

Do recall though that after one of the recent crashes (Helios/Peru etc) they put on an episode as a one-off... so transparent!!! :zzz:

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2005, 20:02
Probably was Sista, never knew the name though. For me, it's like reading a book, I'd rather interpret what I'm hearing in my mind rather than see someone elses depiction...make for dull telly I suppose.:rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
28th Nov 2005, 00:47
I'm going to a 6 year old birthday party next week
You type pretty well for a 6 YO, Buster! :E

Buster Hyman
28th Nov 2005, 00:58
Thank you...but I'm 6 next week!;)

Capn Bloggs
28th Nov 2005, 01:56
Dohh..well you type even better for a 5 year, 51 week old! :{

Animalclub
28th Nov 2005, 02:36
Buster that's a pretty long time to have a party.... 6 years???

Buster Hyman
28th Nov 2005, 05:59
More like a wake....:ugh: 73 minutes of fun & a lifetime of credit card abuse!:{