PDA

View Full Version : Nike corporate jet incident

Rollingthunder
21st Nov 2005, 17:05
Currently this aircraft is circling in the area of Portland (Oregon) Intl airport burning off fuel. Right gear is stuck halfway down. Heavy fog is on the aiport perimeter and not sure if it's moving in or moving out. 3 crew and 4 pax onboard.

HowlingWind
21st Nov 2005, 17:33
Supposedly it was the "maiden" flight for this G-V. The aeroplane left Portland enroute to Toronto and circled back after the gear did not fully retract.

Rollingthunder
21st Nov 2005, 18:11
Aircraft has done a couple of low passes. Right gear is down about 20 deg.

Could be a couple of hours until attempted landing at Portland or Hillsboro or the nearby air force base.

Ontariotech
21st Nov 2005, 18:38
N5GV Nike Gulfstream....

Live ATC if you all wanna listen....

http://65.170.220.147:12100/

Click on listen on top menu.

Seems like they will be landing at the 11'000 foot runway at Portland International, so long as the weather holds.

benedictus
21st Nov 2005, 18:54
They think they've got the gear down, so all looking good
will be making an approach soon

Ontariotech
21st Nov 2005, 18:56
Landing Runway 30 at Hillsboro.

swordfling
21st Nov 2005, 19:11
Fox showing aircraft landed safely...

Jet2
21st Nov 2005, 19:12
Nice landing Captain!! ;)

Azzurri
21st Nov 2005, 19:17
Great landing guys!...Nicely done.

(Looked like the starboard inboard MLG door is not where it should be, but I could be wrong.)

A..

BN2A
22nd Nov 2005, 15:39
So yesterday, Sky News (amongst others) reports a Gulfstream V (?) burning off fuel over Portland Oregon before landing due to the right main gear being jammed up (shown on TV... No denying it happened!!). Promises of 'returning live' when it attempted to land.

Time goes by.... Nothing!!

Do we assume that the crew landed it without any newsworthy drama?? Or did it un-jam??

:ooh: , :eek: , :hmm: , :cool: , :ok: , or :zzz:

ALLDAYDELI
22nd Nov 2005, 21:02
BBC reporting that the Nike corporate Gulfstream GV was involved in an incident involving landing gear today. Was flying from Hillsboro Oregon to Toronto. Had to dump fuel & return to make a safe landing. The CEO was NOT on board.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4458218.stm

Kaptin M
22nd Nov 2005, 21:17
According to CNN, the pilots tried a couple of different "manoeuvres", including negative G, before finally shutting down an engine(?) to allow the hydraulic pressure to be increased on the landing gear system (anyone familiar with the Gulfstream aircraft involved might be able to help out here).
The 1 main landing gear that had failed to retract/extend fully then did so, and the aircraft made a normal landing.

CNN went on to report that no-one suffered any serious injuries.
Considering the landing was a normal one, I was wondering whether the "serious injuries" was another media beat up, or whether persons were injured during the negative G manoeuvres?

flying brain
23rd Nov 2005, 08:48
You both might want to try positive 'g' to assist the landing gear in locking down - negative 'g' would stow it again.

4HolerPoler
23rd Nov 2005, 09:29
Just Do It: Crew of Troubled Nike GV Did

The maiden flight yesterday of Nike’s newest Gulfstream V–a 2002 model acquired by the sneaker giant on November 2–ended uneventfully, but not as originally planned. Carrying Nike president and CEO William Perez, four other Nike executives, two pilots and a flight attendant, the aircraft took off yesterday morning from Nike’s headquarters in Hillsboro, Ore., on an intended trip to Toronto. However, the right landing gear failed to fully retract or lower, getting stuck about halfway up. After more than six hours aloft over Oregon to burn off fuel, consult with Gulfstream technicians and perform emergency procedures that eventually got the gear down and locked, the crew completed a textbook landing back at Hillsboro, not stopping until the aircraft was well inside Nike’s hangar. Speaking to local media about 45 minutes after landing, Perez praised the crew (pilots Dave Newton and Blair Gammon and flight attendant Melody Peters) for their calmness, the professional job they did and for keeping the passengers informed every step of the way.

Flight Safety
23rd Nov 2005, 21:00
I don't mean to Monday morning quarterback, but I wish to pursue the following discussion from a flight safety viewpoint.

I heard a report that when this aircraft first took off and the pilots raised the gear, it was noted (how this info was obtained I don't know) that a door did not close on one of the MLG. According to what I heard, the pilots then chose to cycle the gear back down, which they did successfully. So far so good. Then they chose to cycle the gear back up again, which caused the malfunctioning door to jam the gear, precipitating all of the drama.

I don't know if this report is accurate, but I do have a question. If the circumstances were as this report claims, wouldn't it have been better to leave the gear down (when it was first cycled down), rather then cycle the gear back up again with a known door malfunction? It seems to me that if you know you have gear trouble, and you get the gear down correctly at least once, wouldn't it be better to leave the gear down and take it back to the barn, rather than to try to continue the flight?

Thanks,
Flight Safety

mjtibbs
23rd Nov 2005, 22:59
what is the physical movements to generate pos or neg G?

out of curiosity :confused:

glad they made it down safe.

P.S ill be tuning into your ATC stream ontariotech :ok:

flown-it
24th Nov 2005, 03:40
G V gear operated off left hydraulics. If no pressure in left side PTU will auto on to repressurise left using right side pressure. (PTU can be switched off if req.)So shutting the right would have no effect and I have no idea what good shutting the left engine down would do. If no left system hydraulics you can blow gear down with emergency system but this would leave the gear doors open. I didn't see the footage..... did anyone notice if the doors were open?
Flight Safety...After take off I would guess that the CAS would have annunciated that the right door was open plus the red light in the gear handle gear would have been on. I imagine the pilots relayed that info when talking to maintenance.

armada
25th Nov 2005, 23:51
Now this is disgusting. :mad:

http://www.nikeclassaction.com/

Class action lawsuit
For five hours, when a Nike Inc. corporate jet carrying 7 people developed landing gear problems shortly after takeoff, the passengers were in imminent danger.

The right main landing gear on the chartered jet became stuck shortly after the plane took off from Hillsboro airport, bound for Toronto. Allen Kenitzer, an FAA spokesman, said the plane crew was trying to correct the landing gear problem by consulting the Gulfstream company. The crew was also taking steps to burn off fuel.

While the left and front wheels had been lowered, the right side of the landing gear appeared stuck inside the jet's body. The aircraft eventually landed in Hillsboro, near Portland, Ore., hours later, after killing time in the air and burning off fuel.

A Nike official says Nike President and CEO William Perez was on board. Passengers included 3 senior executives, a 4th Nike employee and three crew members.

If you were a passenger, or are a family member of a passenger, please contact us,

Glyn Hotz
Contact Information
Email :
[email protected]
Phone :
416-590-7823
Address :
100 Upper Madison Avenue
Toronto
Ontario
M2N 6M4
Canada

DUAL RATED
26th Nov 2005, 11:08
Flown it

I was in the US at the time saw it on tv, only the right gear door was down on landing all others were up so he didnt blow the gear down

G-V Mama
28th Nov 2005, 19:19
To answer an earlier question regarding proper procedure when a L or R Main Gear Door fails to close during gear retraction, here is the procedure from the G-V Flight Manual:

Caution Message: "L or R MN GEAR DR OPN"
Corrective Action:
1) Maintain 225KCAS or less in (1) "g" flight.
(2) Cycle landing gear DOWN then UP.
(3) If message remains displayed:
a) Extend landing gear.
b) Return to land.

The crew did everything that Gulfstream recommends. There is another procedure published to address the "failure to extend" situation. Eventually, using non-published, non-standard procedures as instructed by G-V test pilots over the phone, they got the situation under control.

Another point to follow up on - they would primarily be using positive and g forces to try and fix this problem, but negative g forces may also be required. The key here is to get the gear back in to the proper hydraulic sequence so that it can operate in the proper precise sequence again. The flight manual also recommends that in this situation, with one main gear partially extended, the crew should try and "yaw" the aircraft to apply spanwise air load to force the affected gear outboard: right rudder for right main gear.

Hope I have helped answer some of your questions....

Will Rogers
29th Nov 2005, 09:52
armada,

I could not agree more. How the **** could someone come up with a lawsuit for this. How nuts are people these days??? :*

:mad: idiots!

Flight Safety
3rd Dec 2005, 18:40
G-V Mama, what are the odds that the procedure changes after this incident?

Check 6
14th Dec 2005, 06:43
Gulfstream’s initial investigation into the November 21 incident involving a jammed right landing gear on Nike’s GV revealed corrosion on the main landing gear (MLG) uplock linkage bungee. According to a December 5 service letter sent to GV, G500 and G550 operators, “It is suspected this corrosion caused the bungee to freeze in the extended position, contributing to the MLG door being out of sequence during the extension and retraction cycles... With the door linkage system out of sequence, hydraulic pressure was attempting to close the door before the landing gear had completed its retraction cycle.” The gear finally was freed after the Nike crew removed hydraulic pressure by temporarily shutting down the left engine and performing a negative g maneuver. In addition to other solutions being considered, “Gulfstream is evaluating the addition of a filler to the inboard gear door where the tire made contact.”