PDA

View Full Version : Qantas LHR Based Requirements...?

Reejay
22nd Nov 2005, 20:25
Hi all..
First up, I have just done a search, however it didn't produce an answer to suffice my querie, so here goes:
I'm wondering if anyone call tell me about the requirements Qantas are seeking to satisfy when considering applicants for their LHR base. In particular, I want to know about visa/ residency criteria. I am an Australian, on a Australian passport, with no right to an ancestry visa or UK passport. At the mo I am long haul CC operating on a sponsered visa, however my contract is up early next year and there is no option to extend. In a nut shell, do they "sponsor" Aussies for a working visa application?
While I'm on it, if anyone can provide additional info on whether they are recruiting now (I've checked out their Qantas Uk Cabin Crew website), what they want in terms of full time/ contract/ casual, and is it true that if successful, you're fast tracked to senior level? Feel free to email me if you wish. Thanks in advance lovelies...

R x

SydGirl
23rd Nov 2005, 06:07
If you are applying for a position for QF Cabin Crew UK and you are an external applicant (ie. you don't work for QF already) then you must have a visa which allows you to work in the UK. Qantas will not sponsor you.

They do sponsor their current Australian based employees but only for a 2 year period, after that these employees will return to their home base.

Hope that helps.
SG
:}

GalleyWench
25th Nov 2005, 23:34
Sydgirl, Is it at QFs request that your visas to work in LHR are only for 2 years. I am based at LHR with UA and our ALE ( air line employee ) visas were 3 years in legnth- PanAm was the same way. At both airlines we were/are entitled to stay working in London if we are commuting from another EU country. This is something your colleagues that might wish to stay in LHR may want to look into.

SydGirl
26th Nov 2005, 02:50
Hi GalleyWench,

I'm not too sure on the technicalities of the visa, perhaps one of my LHR based colleagues can clarify that one.

I do know the initial agreement was for a 2 year span, however not sure whether that is extendable or whether QF wants to bring them back to their AU based positions after that time.

SG
:}

OZcabincrew
26th Nov 2005, 04:21
the contract was for two years with the ability to extend to three years before having to move back to Australia and their originial positions.

ozskipper
26th Nov 2005, 13:46
The visa's issued for QF FA's to transfer to QCCUK are for 3.5 years.

The current arrangement is that you must take LWOP for 2 years. A 3rd year may be possible by mutual agreement. There is no guarantee that the 3rd year will be offered (although it's likely to be offered to those who want to stay and don't have any performance issues).

As for staying on longer term - well it's early days and we'll have to see what happens.

To answer Reejay's question. Unfortunately, you're not in a situation where QCCUK will be able employ you based on the information you provided above.

You do not have the appropriate residency / right of abode requirements and QCCUK does not sponsor external applicants.

The UK (like Australia) only permits sponsorship (essentially a work permit) where there is a skills gap in the UK and a locally recruited person would not be able to perform the role to same standard as the sponsored employee. In short, cabin crew positions don't fall into that category.

Sorry :{