PDA

View Full Version : Cable to ADSL advice please .....

Oggin Aviator
22nd Nov 2005, 17:24
Hello

I have been living in the States for a while, using a Cable broadband modem linked to a desktop PC and a wireless router, allowing wireless web access on my laptop combined with a WEP encrypted "family" LAN between PC and laptop. I set up this network without any problems and it has run fine the whole time.

I am returning to UK where our village is fortunate to be served with ADSL. I am going to sign up to an ADSL provider, however whereas my cable modem is "always on", I understand from my father that the ADSL is not. When he goes online, his ADSL modem actually sort of dials out, connects, then disconnects when he is finished, rather like traditional dial up. He only has one PC so it is all easy however how does this change with a wireless LAN? Does one have to load the ISP ADSL software onto both PC and Laptop so both can connect, or just the PC hooked up the router?

Furthermore, can anyone recommend a decent good value router? I was looking at something like this (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NGR-108156) which appears to not even need a ISP provided modem?

TIA

Oggin

spekesoftly
22nd Nov 2005, 22:07
We leave our Netgear ADSL wireless modem/router switched on h24, and it keeps a permanent broadband connection, that can be accessed as required by a PC, and various laptops. (The original ISP supplied modem is gathering dust).

The router was very easy to configure, following the 'on-screen' prompts, with the PC connected to the router via a Cat5 cable. During set-up, I allowed the wireless side to broadcast unencrypted, to simplify initial laptop reception. Then I followed various steps (WEP etc) to make the signal more secure.

Oggin Aviator
22nd Nov 2005, 22:16
so ..... no dialling by the ISP supplied modem software? (My father's ISP is Tiscali and does this). Thanks for the info. I guess all modern modem routers can do this ??????

Oggin

Dee747
22nd Nov 2005, 22:20
Oggin,

Experienced the same "dialling" effect with my broadband modem until I replaced it with a 3com ADSL/Wireless Router which remains permanently connected. Operates superbly with Virgin as my ISP providing wireless connectivity to three desktops and two laptops.

Dee747

Oggin Aviator
22nd Nov 2005, 23:19
Dee - Thx for the tip.

Speke - I had adsl for 6 months (but without a wireless LAN then) so happy with the filters issue etc. So I need a wireless router with an independant power supply (adapter) that stays connected all the time? Can you have a look at the link I posted on my first post and see if this would fit the bill. Being out of the country for 3 years and being happy with 1 set up for most of that time I have not had the need to keep up to date with current technology or products (hence this thread I guess !!).

Also, Novatech HQ is just down the road from where I will be (in the shandy drinking southern part of the country near a big naval base (no surprise there !) so it will be easy and quick for me to pop down and get one (doesnt have to be that specific model, just want one that will do the job)).

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Oggin

edit to say this post now on top of your last post which you were presumably editing while I was composing !!!!

spekesoftly
22nd Nov 2005, 23:19
AFAIK, the ISP software is only relevant to the ISP supplied modem. An ADSL modem/router makes its own arrangements. Once connected, there's no noticeable dialling effect. Very occasionally, the router may lose connection, but it should normally re-connect without any user input.

It's some time time since I used the ISP supplied modem. Mine was connected to the PC by a USB cable, which also powered the modem. So when the PC was shut down, it also cut the power to the modem, and disconnected the broadband connection. On power up, the modem had to re-establish the ADSL 'handshake'. The Netgear etc, has its own independent PSU, so this isn't an issue.

You'll also need an ADSL Filter for each telephone in the house. (Without them, you'll hear noise on the phone). Don't be tempted by the cheapos, I've heard many horror stories. We're using three Speedtouch UK413s, and they're excellent.

Edited to add:-

I would hope the DG834GT shown in the link would fit the bill. It's a later version of the Netgear (DG834G) we've used for some time, without complaints.

Dee747
23rd Nov 2005, 08:55
Oggin,

The Netgear ADSL router you've identified will do the job perfectly well. At the end of the day there's very little to choose between the well known and established makes - Belkin, Netgear, 3Com, Linksys.

The layman just needs to have clear in his mind the difference between a pure router and an ADSL router. The former makes available the already received signal to other devices by means of hardwire cables or by wireless. The ADSL router does all of the above, but also acts as a 'modem' on a standard broadband line in order to receive the signals in the first instance. You can't use an ADSL router along with an existing ISP's modem or on cable systems (as in effect you'd have two modems trying to work at the same time).

Hopefully that hasn't muddied the waters any further .....:confused:

Dee747

Oggin Aviator
23rd Nov 2005, 13:37
no, all OK. Thanks for all the help, think I will have a deeper browse online, decide on the hardware and be hot to trot for when I get back.

cheers

Oggin