PDA

View Full Version : Most logbook entries in one month?

airborne_artist
22nd Nov 2005, 16:36
OK, a p*ssing contest to beat all contests!

Who has the most entries in one month in a service logbook?

I'll set the ball rolling with 43 in June 1979. This comprised of 44 hrs 5 mins, all in the Bulldog, of which 6.55 were solo and 34.10 dual. I flew on 19 days that month, and completed over half of EFT in about 25% of the intended flying phase.

It's high for two reasons - a) we started the flying phase of EFT late due to prior courses getting delayed in the winter. and b) there were 5 transit flights from/to Leeming/Topcliffe, as we were based at Leeming, but went to Topcliffe each day. One sortie was Wx'd off after take off.

Herp
22nd Nov 2005, 17:24
44 entries in Sep 87 in a JP3 @ Linton...46:25 of which 38:40was instructional flown on 21 days.

I seem to remember nodding off down a PAR into Church Fenton with a stude who had my total confidence!!

steve757
22nd Nov 2005, 17:29
:rolleyes:
65, Ethiopia Famine Relief between 1 Nov and 29 Nov. Longest sortie 1:10, shortest 0:20. Total for month 76:30

P-T-Gamekeeper
22nd Nov 2005, 17:39
Get some time in guys! Will have to check the exact details, but I filled 6 pages in a month on TELIC in 2003.

That must be about 120+ sorties in Albert!!

KENNYR
22nd Nov 2005, 19:22
WOW!!! I am really so impressed:yuk:

maximo ping
22nd Nov 2005, 19:43
Sorry Kenny, your point was..?

Roguedent
22nd Nov 2005, 21:33
P-T,

Bet your medal hasn't turned up yet though!!:ok:

KENNYR
22nd Nov 2005, 21:41
Sorry maximo ping, I just thought it was another case of "my willys bigger than yours". No harm intended by my reply. Who cares how many hours one has, or how many log book entries does one have in a month.

P-T-Gamekeeper
22nd Nov 2005, 22:23
My medals have arrived just in time to be dined-out of the RAF!

KennyR - A hint - if you are not interested in a post, don't bother reading it.

Washington_Irving
23rd Nov 2005, 03:28
Sorry to p1ss on your bonfires, but a 16yr old Air Cadet G1 glider pilot on a Viking school can rack up 60 in a weekend. I personally did 30 in one day.:}

Milt
23rd Nov 2005, 07:35
Does 7 different types in 24 hours count for anything?

The final 2 were at night and all at a large flight test centre.

It was a deliberate attempt with most flights being productive. 2 were allocated as continuation training.

Always_broken_in_wilts
23rd Nov 2005, 08:00
You will have to excuse dear old Kenny.....he has the odd lucid day but I guess today was not one of them, very sad when old folks start to lose their faculties in this way:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

mr ripley
23rd Nov 2005, 08:07
July 1995 Bristol UAS Laarbruch 69 sorties 67hrs
July 1996 Bristol UAS St Mawgan 61 sorties 57 hrs
July 1997 Bristol UAS St Mawgan 46 sorties 46 hrs

These were my Summer Camp figures and were typical of those of a UAS instructor at that time.

airborne_artist
23rd Nov 2005, 08:46
Milt - 7 types in 24 hours certainly does count.

On a totally un-related subject, I parachuted out of a Chinook three times before breakfast one day in September 1986!

Sorry to p1ss on your bonfires No p!ss noted - though I hadn't considered those in un-powered a/c when I set the challenge. I was expecting that it'd be fairly easy for one of our boys in Green to win.

bowly
23rd Nov 2005, 10:00
Conversely, during my first tour, I managed to achieve 3 monthly summaries on one page..............3 times! No prizes for guessing which ac I flew.

LuckyBreak
23rd Nov 2005, 12:43
I once managed to get in 7 types in 24 hours whilst on London UAS. Their names were Sarah, Emma, Nyssa, Joanne, Cath.....

gravity victim
23rd Nov 2005, 14:04
With names like that they surely were all different marks of the same type!

Roguedent
23rd Nov 2005, 17:11
Think I had Emma too!!:ok:

sycamore
23rd Nov 2005, 17:47
7sorties, 5 types,(3rotary, 2 f/w), at 3 airfields,at least 90 miles apart, in one day;
11 different types (5 rotary, 6 f/w) in one month;
69 sorties ,52 hrs (2 hrs transit Leeming-Top.) Oct `78

unkind43
23rd Nov 2005, 18:16
81.6 in a 30 day month, never had more than an hours worth of gas on each sortie so guessing 70-80 sorties, maybe a few more with commutes from the grove to the city and back.

BHPS
23rd Nov 2005, 20:34
Maybe not the most logbook entries, but plenty of sectors:

Falkland Islands December 1985

Logbook entries: 40
Total Hours (31 day): 101:10 (28 day) 92:40
Shortest Trip: 0:25
Longest Trip: 7:25

Sea King HAR.3 (1564 Flt)

Hueymeister
23rd Nov 2005, 22:40
93 hrs in 22 days in NI....Wessex HC2..went home and slept for two days solid...getting up only to eat and pee.

airborne_artist
24th Nov 2005, 08:26
93 hrs in 22 days in NI....Wessex HC2..went home and slept for two days solid...getting up only to eat and pee.

Now that's what I call a work rate, esp. in the flying emergencies trainer formerly known as the Wessex.

LuckyBreak
24th Nov 2005, 09:03
QUOTE: With names like that they surely were all different marks of the same type!

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any marks on them at all......

You do have a point though. To get 7 types you may have to venture as far as Elizabeth, Helga, Fatima, Umbungo, Mai-Po, Nataliaski, and Emanualle.

Thud Ridge
24th Nov 2005, 13:45
Definately got a nyssa in my logbook.

Guess that makes us some kind of brothers......

airborne_artist
24th Nov 2005, 14:05
I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any marks on them at all......

But did they leave any on him? The sight of Rod H*n* with scratches across his back after he'd be attacked by an amorous lass who picked him up (he's not tall) in Penzance...

arthurwellington
24th Nov 2005, 14:35
Hueymeister

Early 90's per chance?

I seem to recall certain P/Os topping out at 100 hrs after 18-19 days.

Fond memories of as many doubles as possible on the freedom bird then 48 hrs sleep.

Can't beat the hrs but recall averaging more than 50 hrs a month on goggles the first winter we were cut loose. Pink milk anyone?

:8

buoy15
24th Nov 2005, 22:00
This is confusing

In March 97, I flew Ex Dogfish, 2 longish Med transits and then Rum Punch in Florida for 3 weeks, and was standing at 118.30 hrs.

With 2 days to go to the end of the month and the possibility of delays, U/s, etc, my Boss applied to the AOC to get dispensation for me to fly home from USA in case I exceeded 130 hrs for the month.

Does this apply to other units, or can they fly as long as they like?

PS - didn't get a medal for crossing the Atlantic twice - by the way!

16 blades
25th Nov 2005, 06:37
Kabul Det - 31 days, 103 sorties, just under 90 hrs, 5 pages.

I've also done the 3 monthly summaries on one page bit.

16B

brakedwell
25th Nov 2005, 09:06
February 1960 - 152 Squadron Bahrain.

Entries: 88
Mostly in the Jebel Akhdar area of Muscat & Oman shuttling between the Firq U2 Strip (1500 yds, 1100' amsl) and Saiq (380yds, 6300' amsl). Average trip - 15 minutes up the mountain - 10 minutes down.

Twin Pioneer 34.00 Day 00.50 Night. Pembroke 13.40 Day 2.00 Night

PS It was a leap year!

PC7anyone?
25th Nov 2005, 09:14
Op Barwood Mar 2000 (Mozambique flood relief with the Puma). Did 60 odd hrs in 2 weeks and that wasn't flying every day. Don't suppose that was any different to any of the other crews involved. Sadly for us rotary pukes a days flying usually involves one entry even though it might be 120 odd "sectors" !!!!! As an aside met a guy logging with a sky crane in Malaysia recently. He thinks nothing of 8-9 hrs a day with 300+ 5min runs up and down the hill. Month on month, off living in the middle of the jungle.

Roland Pulfrew
25th Nov 2005, 09:38
brakedwell

Did you get the 4 Firq Saiq tie? ;)

brakedwell
25th Nov 2005, 10:05
RP
A tie hadn't been invented before I was tourex in 1961.

ClearReverse
25th Nov 2005, 10:55
Do civvy hours count ?, flying an L382 in Africa, airdropping food etc to Southern Sudan form Lokichoggio in Kenya, 4 sorties a day working 6 on 1 off for a 3 month contract. This gives an average of over 100 flights a month and I dare'nt tell you how many hours we flew but the money was great (paid extra for flying hours!!!) shame I can't put it all in the logbook.

:hmm: :hmm:

Spurlash2
25th Nov 2005, 19:13
How about 'Most Diversity' in one month? (20 years ago)

You'll never guess who I was flying with;)

36 trips, 2 types, 61:30. Shortest 0:10, longest 5:25.

Here goes:
Torpedo drop
Depth charge drop
Helo In flight refuel (HIFR)
Helo Delivery Supply (HDS)
Jumpex (Sub-killer)
Surface Search
Deck Landing practice (DLP)
General flying practice (GFP)
EWX (EW!) spot(!) of jamming
Detect-Identify-Destroy (DIDTACS)
4.5 inch flare drops
Naval Gunfire Support (NGS)
VIPTAX(Taxi-VIP):hmm:
CASEVAC
Load Lifting
Winching
Dead Reckoning sea navigation(Dalton/Protractor/pencil/dividers/rubber)
Beach Assault - with troops!
Photex
Test flights:hmm: -up to 12000 feet.

Milt
25th Nov 2005, 21:22
Incredible!

What did you guys do in your spare time?

jayteeto
26th Nov 2005, 06:57
Since leaving 2 years ago, I am using paper faster than handbrake house. Police flying makes lots of logbook entries. Minimum 30 a month. Highest ones this year: 61,58,51 and four 45s. Thank god it has an automatic start system!!!

Roland Pulfrew
26th Nov 2005, 15:30
Just checked the old log book. In July 1991 I got 83 sorties in the great Bulldog T1! Total for the month 70:35 of which 62:15 was instructional! In the June preceeding I managed 55 sorties and 48:15. But in August I got the grand total of 3:40!!

However this was in the days of running changes, instructional sorties being only 0:45 on average and 5 sorties per day (instructional) being the limit!!:zzz:

BEagle
26th Nov 2005, 15:57
But that was in the days of real UAS Summer Camps, Roly!

Happy days!

I never cracked those totals at a UAS as our summer camps suffered from the weather at St Mawgan. My best Vickers FunBus month was Feb 1991. 103:00 all operational AAR.

Griz
26th Nov 2005, 15:57
Can't even hope to compete, but on a different slant I managed four months in one page each with a summary.

March, April, May and July in 1995. Obviously couldn't be ar$ed to get out of bed in June!

mad eng
26th Nov 2005, 22:16
12 sorties, 16 hour day............total hours.........ONE!!
Had to round up to nearest 5 minutes to get that.
ferry Landrovers to LZ and wait for them to return by road, repeat til bored........

just a bloke
30th Nov 2005, 23:17
Torn GR1, 42 trips, but there were 31 days in the month, and for an odd reason there was no shortage of spares. Only 15 mins actual ( I needed them for the rating ), but 21xILS to land (whether I needed them or not).

Roland Pulfrew
1st Dec 2005, 10:07
Slightly off topic but what about the shortest trip? I got Lossie RW 23 to Kinloss RW 26 in an MR2 in (according to the logbook) 0:05, it was actually 2 mins 37 seconds but we had to round up not down to the nearest 5 minutes! IIRC one crew achieved it in 2 mins 21 secs so all rounded down to the nearest 5 minutes ie 0:00!!:)

diginagain
1st Dec 2005, 10:23
Hildesheim airfield to the nearby training area, distance about 2.5 km. Should have taken but a moment.
However, a quick head-count revealed a shortage of complete Lynx crews, so my CO auth'ed me to do it solo - no groundspikes, no techs, just me, 2 weeks after converting onto type (CO was a trusting bloke!).

Did a couple of circuits of the training area before landing with a huge smile, and 0.2.

Flap62
1st Dec 2005, 10:38
My god, you actually flew it on your own!!

brakedwell
1st Dec 2005, 10:49
Who made the tea and coffee if there were no cabin crew?

diginagain
1st Dec 2005, 11:04
I think the theory was that I'd just spent two months in the sim doing malfs, while the Detmold sim had been AOG for a while.
'Twas a tad lonely, mind.:ok:

Kirkwall
1st Dec 2005, 22:10
I guess the recod will be held by CXX crew5 during a SAR deployment to ASI. 60 hrs in the first 5 days, about 90ish in the fortnight and 110 in the month.
Captain got some sort of medal. Probably for inventing an ingenoius method for checking that there weren't any donkies on the runway just before landing. :cool:

artyhug
2nd Dec 2005, 11:30
Shortest? 2min13secs including two landings to regain night currency.

And you tell that to the kids of today and they don't believe you.....

2 TWU
3rd Dec 2005, 05:42
Shortest?

Just after liftoff in a Hawk, birdstrike, big bang, engine quits, back on the ground with 4 large feet on the brakes to stop just short of the barrier. Got to 132 kts, approx 10ft (from ATC), airborne for about 7 secs, most of which was gliding.

Most Hours?

Heard a story many years ago. The Hastings was being introduced into service, inevitably one went u/s in a remote part of the Pacific on a route proving flight. There was a real faff trying to get a new engine out to the broken a/c and there was just one type rated air eng in the whole region, the story was that he was grounded after 24 days non-stop flying averaging 10hrs/day----240hrs no less!

albatross
3rd Dec 2005, 06:59
Before flight / duty time limits one of my "wandering boys" did a ferry trip to the Canadian Arctic ( 7 or 8 Hrs a day ) then once there got some sleep and slung the entire camp and fuel cache from one side of a lake to the other. ( It had been flown in via DC-3 on skis during the winter and accidentally dropped off in a swamp.( not a difficult mistake to make )
Flight report and log book - one entry for the day- 23 1/2 hours. I forget the exact details but I seem to recall 12 to 15 landings for hot refueling so probably 21 or 22 hrs in the air - probably well over 200 sling loads. He was a tired puppy at day's end.

We used to do something called Inertial Nav Survey using a jazzed up Ferranti INS ( A la Harrier ) or a Litton systems INS (US Made ) in a Bell 206L or L-1. It entailed going as fast as you could but landing every 4 minutes Max. to stabilize the INS - Lots of fun - not unusual to log 10- 12 hours a day for 10 or 15 days. 1 start but lots of landings!

It was funny that the INS system modified for survey was worth a lot more than the helicopter.

John Eacott
3rd Dec 2005, 07:22
Albatross,

The same chunk of INS gear occupied the back of 206BIII I spent two weeks flying around Tom Price, WA, in 38+C for 10-11 hours a day; as you said, landing <4 minutes, hot refuels with pump & drum, real tiger country with many landings on quite steep slopes. Nearly as bad as the Brent Field shuttles, many a fortnight logged (Bell 212's) with upwards of 250 rig landings, 65+ hours.

4 hour Sea King sorties were quite relaxed in comparison :p

albatross
3rd Dec 2005, 07:56
Geez it was fun wasn't it? The good old daze!
We had a target on the ski beside the pilot's door that we tried to place on the survey mark and a tape on the ski marked in CM for the offset if needed . Not to mention a tape measure in the cockpit so I could reach out and measure the vertical offset if any. We later also had a theodolite and laser rangfinder mounted on top of the INS so we could put reflectors on survey points we could not land on. Land on the offset spot - operator out the door - pilot does an update - operator takes a shot - pilot inputs the shot - operator jumps back into the front - another update if necessary and off you would go. It is amazing how many fire towers and microwave repeaters are built on top of Survey points.
I liked the Longranger on high skids and skis with a range extender as it climbed outa the holes and accelerated so much faster than a Jetranger. It was surprising how much more ground you could cover with the L vs the the B.
Once the customer saw how much faster we could be with the L he never asked for a B again. Extra speed and fuel made up for the more expensive hourly on the L.
I found the funniest thing about inertial was how you used to scare the customer when you went back to normal flying -
"Can you land us there?"
"Sure" Steep bank into curving approach , pole down, flare , pull , level, thud!"
High recon? Low recon? What's that? We sure got good at confined area landings! LOL
I must have done 6 ot 7 hundred hours of inertial and enjoyed every minute of it. Not to mention cutting pads and setting out targets and fuel caches beforehand. Sometimes in dense bush we had to cut an enroute pad between targets.
Usually great crews to work with and it was never boring.
GPS put an end to it all but it was fun while it lasted.

EESDL
5th Dec 2005, 08:30
Military Log book entries being the topic of this particular pissing contest - and not hours flown or number of sorties - rotary boys will always come low down the order as one entry would typically cover a day & night task.

Fellow pilots this is meant to be a Pissing Contest.

KennyR - get back on your bunk.
Bulldog/Grob pilots - Summer Camp - hard work but daytime right?
AAR pilots - mmmmmm!

Didn't have the time for logbook writing and probably couldn't - any spare time was for eating and sleeping.

Not enough time to debate which colour bic to use....

If you consider that the average NI sortie duration was approx 3 minutes (Farnborough's figures not FOLAs) then you can do the maths!!

Before you ask, AAC worked just as hard but were far uglier - and they knew it but didn't like admitting it................

Bare in mind that we were not on a special op (according to the 'normalisation' fraternity) ad there were no TV cameras there to cover the bags of grain squashing the locals, or a video camera to film the sick spanish trawler man who happened to have been well enough to make the 400m journey to our waters.......

Yep, the pilot not wearing a growbag but a staggering collection of survival gear, asleep in their beer in the corner of the Mess (or tied up, naked, on the railings singing a song or three) would be the SH pilot...........

Consider yourself pissed upon you fixed-wg, shandy drinkers..................
;)

Like I said, SH pilots can't win this particulary-worded pissing contest but we'll go down fighting anyway!

(logged 4 entries in Nov, but that will serve me right for flying a civilian french aircraft that's yet to come out of its inspection)