PDA

View Full Version : BA Citiexpress Sim Ride

Capt Holland
22nd Nov 2005, 14:54
Hello

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice for the sim ride. I spoke to a friend who has done it and he said it was a very tense affair with a very unhelpful and grumpy examiner. However, he spoke to someone who did it before him and they said it was very enjoyable the examiner was friendly and helpful and it felt more like a lesson than an examination. What was your experience like? Was the examiner nice?

For those that have done it what sid did you get and where from, where you RV'd to the ILS or did you have to do the procedure, did you do any practice in a sim before hand, if so which sim and where, how long did it last, did you enjoy it and did you pass, if not whay not (if you don't mind)?

Any advice welcome and feel free to PM me

Thanks

Capt Holland

GoAround-Flap15
25th Nov 2005, 13:29
hello,

well my experience with the citiexpress simcheck was quite positive. I did not pass it though, but that had more to do with me!
The examiner was a nice retired citiexpress captain from the isle of man who gave me a thorough briefing before the sim ride.

Easy SID out of EGCC (I think RWY 26?), then ask for the ATIS, give him an approach brief and then into the hold with either 210kts or 170kts flap 13(?). After that RV ILS. Sounds pretty easy, but as you can see you can still f*** it up.
Oh yeah and you can also use the flight director!

Go and practice one or two hours in a non-glass cockpit jet sim and you should be fine.

GA-F15

JetAngel
29th Nov 2005, 14:26
Hi,

I've got a sim ride coming up soon too. Can anyone recommend a good place to get some sim practice in before I go ??

Thanks. :O

EGBKFLYER
29th Nov 2005, 14:31
Try Tony Davis - contactable through BCFT at Bournemouth. He offers a reasonable deal on the 727 there.

JetAngel
29th Nov 2005, 14:33
Thats great. Thank you very much.:D

eghi r20
29th Nov 2005, 15:34
hi all

Also Mike Bolton of Simulatior Training Services (STS) Bournemouth.
he does courses on the 727 or tri star. you'll find him on the net !!

good luck.

i am waiting to hear how my interview went, so i May or May not also be looking for sim info !!

happy flying

eghi

Troy McClure
29th Nov 2005, 16:33
JetAngel

If you're in Yorkshire, try Yorkshire Flight Centre at Arkendale near Harrogate. Their 737-200 sim might be a bit dearer than a 727, but Bournemouth's a hell of a long way away.... Chap to speak to is Kevin Medcroft - 01423 340664, or www.yorkshireflightcentre.co.uk (http://www.yorkshireflightcentre.co.uk) .

T McC

JetAngel
29th Nov 2005, 18:59
Cheers Troy.... You're right it is much closer..I'll give him a call.

SEAMASTER
29th Nov 2005, 21:38
DEAR CHAPS AND CHAPESSES

FIRST OF ALL ENTER THE BUILDING WITH A SMILE AND FRIENDLY ATTITUDE, FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT. I INTRODUCED MYSELF TO THE VERY NICE LADIES ON THE DESK AT CRANEBANK AND MADE PLEASANT CONVERSATION WITH THEM TO BE TOLD THAT MY SIM INSTRUCTOR WAS SAT DIRECTLY BEHIND ME, YOU NEVER KNOW EVEN WALLS HAVE EARS ! SO BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU SAY AND HOW YOU SAY IT !
THE BRIEFING PACK YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD BY NOW SO LEARN THE NUMBERS ! YOU'LL BE TAKEN TO A BRIEFING ROOM AND AS YOU WOULD EXPECT IN A BRIEFING ROOM YOU WILL GET FULLY BRIEFED ON THE DETAIL, ASK ANY QUESTIONS ON AREAS THAT YOU MAY HAVE ANY DOUBT OVER AND MORE IMPORTANTLY LISTEN CAREFULLY TO WHAT IS SAID. BE CONFIDENT, NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH AND MAKE CONVERSTION IF YOU GAUGE THE NEED FOR IT ON THE WAY TO THE SIM. BE POSITIVE IT IS NOT AN IR TEST. RELAX AS MUCH AS POSIBLE. I GOT GIVEN A CHOICE OF MAN OR BHX DEPT AND ARRIVALS MAY BE DIFFERENT ON THE DAY, BUT CHOOSE THE AIRFIELD THAT YOU ARE MOST FAMILIAR WITH. YOU ALL CAN FLY, THE BAC1-11 SIM WAS A LITTLE TWITCHY BUT DONT WORRY IT IS TWITCHY FOR EVERYONE, JUST RELAX AND HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR OWN ABILITY TO HANDLE THE THING. ONE POINT, IN MY BRIEF I GOT TOLD THAT WE WILL LOOK AT A HOLD ENTRY WHICH IS DIFFERENT TO LOOKING AT A HOLD SO BRUSH UP ON YOUR TYPE OF ENTRY AND REMEMBER DRIFT, I FORGOT BUT STILL PASSED. IF SUCCESFUL GREAT IVE FOUND THE COMPANY A PLEASURE TO WORK FOR WITH SOME VERY NICE AND HELPFUL PEOPLE AND I AM ENJOYING THE 145, I JOINED WITH TP TIME AND WENT STRAIGHT TO THE JET, HOWEVER IF UNSUCCESFUL DONT WORRY, DONT BE BITER OR DOWN HEARTED, ANALYSE YOUR ENTIRE PERFORMANCE AND LOOK TO SEE WHERE YOU CAN IMPROVE WHEN YOUR NEXT OPPORTUNITY ARISES. ABOUT PAYING FOR SIMS PRIOR TO THE CHECK, WELL MY ATTITUDE WAS THAT IVE PAID ENOUGH OUT SO FAR IN THIS INDUSTRY TO PROGRESS, GRANTED IT DOES HELP SOME PEOPLE BUT I DIDNT BOTHER. IF YOU CHOOSE TO AS MENTIONED EARLIER STEAM DRIVEN ONES ARE THE ONES TO GO FOR WITH CLOCKS AND DIALS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND I HOPE YOUR SUCCESFUL, IF NOT KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AND YOU'LL FIND YOUR SKIN WILL GET A LAYER THICKER READY FOR THE NEXT EPISODE.

SPELLING AND GRAMMER POLICE DONT BOTHER PLEASE CURRENTLY COSUMING ALCOHOL SO IT DOS'NT COUNT !!

CHEERS
SEAMASTER.

JetAngel
30th Nov 2005, 17:41
This may sound a daft question but do you use the FD on the sim assessment?

SEAMASTER
30th Nov 2005, 19:10
YES YOU DO MATE, THE THING IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IS THAT IT IS PRESET TO 5,10, AND 15 DEGREES IN PITCH, SO YOU HAVE TO SELECT THE REQUIRED PITCH ATTITUDE YOURSELF WITH A DOOBERY THING ON THE AI I THINK ! DONT WORRY YOURSELF OVER IT THOUGH IM SURE YOUR INSTRUCTOR WILL REMIND YOU OF THE FACILITY, GOOD LUCK !!

mightymouse111
30th Nov 2005, 21:49
Interesting comments by many.

For all those attending in the future, remember that this is a rumour web site. Not everything is as it appears.

The assessor will brief you fully before and give you time on your own to think things through. You are better off listening carefully to what he has to say rather than going in with any preconceived ideas of what to expect.