PDA

View Full Version : Badly behaved SLF

CherokeeDriver
22nd Nov 2005, 13:32
I missed a connection yesterday at LGW and decided to kill an hour in Gatwick Village. I was amazed at the amount of people that were pouring beer / wine / spirits down their neck prior to going away. Also amazed at the size of the Mcdonalds there!

So question is:- with the growth of Chav culture in Britain (if you don't know what a Chav is look it up on Google) what's the single worst dispay of behaviour you have ever been forced to witness on-board an aircraft?

newswatcher
22nd Nov 2005, 13:41
CherokeeDriver, IMHO that's a bit of a sweeping statement!

Now that pax have to check-in at airports much earlier, due to more robust security checks, what do you expect them to do whilst they wait for their flights, or suffer flight delays? Airport owners would love them to shop, but otherwise what is wrong with having a convivial drink before boarding. As usual in these matters, it is the exception that over-indulges and, if TV programmes are representative, these often seem to be those who are scared of flying(or is that a TV thing?)

MacDonalds? Haven't indulged since my kids left home!:yuk:

CherokeeDriver
22nd Nov 2005, 13:56
Newswatcher. I enjoy a drink as much as the next man. Never felt the need to pour 6 pints down my throat before flying, spit in a bar, use foul langugage in front of families, smoke in the non-smoking area and put my hands down Mrs CherokeeDrivers pants whilst waiting to board a plane. I feel sorry for the CC if this behaviour continues on-board.....

newswatcher
22nd Nov 2005, 14:06
.... perhaps the legacy of cheaper flights?

I hope you were just unlucky, I travel about 2-3 times each month, and have fortunately been spared such behaviour even when I haven't managed to get a cheap "executive" lounge, where I am unable to witness the excessive displays of the "great unwashed" that you describe.

Now as for behaviour at the "other" end, particularly charter flights.................?:yuk:

WHBM
22nd Nov 2005, 14:08
Now that pax have to check-in at airports much earlier, due to more robust security checks, what do you expect them to do whilst they wait for their flights
I don't understand. If pax now have to check in earlier for more robust security checks, why is this additional time not being absorbed by selfsame checks, and why do pax have the time to spend in the bar ?

5 years ago : 1 minute in queue, 2 minutes doing check. Total time 3 minutes.

Nowadays, often : 28 minutes in queue, 2 minutes doing check. Total time 30 minutes.

5 years ago : 5 million pax per year, 3 security stations costing £100,000 each, all 3 staffed.

Nowadays, often : 10 million pax per year, 6 security stations costing £1 million each, 3 of them staffed.

Nothing security-assisting there at all. It's enough to drive you to drink. BTW, just to add the final Anorak point, Gatwick Village is before security.

newswatcher
22nd Nov 2005, 14:12
WHBM I don't think it is the extra time taken on the checks, but the response to advice to turn up earlier.

For example, there was a recent rumour that it would be soon be necessary to check-in three hours prior to a cross Atlantic flight. If no problems, that is a lot of time to wait!

OZcabincrew
22nd Nov 2005, 14:18
I'm just watching that American show "Airport", i don't think there is any way you could ever get me to work in an American airport or for an American airline, they're just crazy!

Unfortunately, with low cost carriers, flying is now accessible to everyone and anyone. This is good in one respect but also bad in another. I love it when the oldies come onboard all dressed up purely because they're flying. There should be more of it!

EI-CFC
22nd Nov 2005, 14:52
I love it when the oldies come onboard all dressed up purely because they're flying. There should be more of it!

I remember being brought to the airport as a child to drop my grandmother off/collect her after her flights and being made put on the best clothes I had - even better than what I was made wear to Church etc :p Going there was an event for the whole family!

Everyone had to dress up, and we weren't even pax. My grandmother, travelling independently well into her 80's, always believed in dressing in her best for the flight. I'd imagine she'd do the same today if she was still flying!

And no, that wasn't all that long ago!

I guess it is the more modern cheap and cheerfulness which rubbed the glamour off flying. Not a totally bad thing in terms of cost, but still, you can help but remember the good old days.

Xeque
22nd Nov 2005, 15:01
An ex-partner of mine wouldn't even leave the terminal building to board a flight unless she was "three sheets to the wind".

This was caused primaraly because of her fear of flying but exacerbated by the (i.e. 'we sneeringly know more than you do') attitude of the ground staff we came into contact with during our transit through the departure facilities.

airborne_artist
22nd Nov 2005, 15:19
My worst memory of this was when flying from Gatwick in 1987. A couple, youngish, fore-runners of chavs, were both so p*ssed that they had to walk along the wall edge to the gate just to stay even slightly vertical. She was slightly less far gone than him, knew that the flight was imminent and had to keep pulling him from the waste bins that he was heaving into.

I still wonder if they were allowed to board - I do hope not.

I was once so short of sleep (but totally sober) on a take-off from Brize that I was asleep before take-off. Luckily I woke up in time to put on my parachute :ok:

WHBM
22nd Nov 2005, 15:27
I love it when the oldies come onboard all dressed up purely because they're flying. There should be more of it!
I have an old BOAC timetable from the 1950s with some artwork illustrating the cabin interiors. In one an elderly couple (say 65+) are loftily selecting from their seats refreshments from the steward's cart. The man is wearing Full Evening Wear, black bow tie, the lot. The woman is in her diamonds. Steward, serving tongs poised for the choice, is of course in a white jacket.

When you thing they were probably hammering along through the cloudtops at 225 knots groundspeed (if lucky) with 4 Merlin piston engines just outside the cabin windows shaking everything apart, it seems even more bizarre. Of course, it had come from ocean liners. Storms or not you Dressed For Dinner there.

apaddyinuk
22nd Nov 2005, 15:50
A woman came into the galley a few weeks ago on a 11 hour flight to Joburg and started in a rather muffled drunken splurg shouting at me and my purser for some totally stupid reason....she then sort of stopped and held herself up against the galley top and had moment, she wet herself all over the galley floor and passed out there and then!!! This is perhaps the worst I have ever seen and will ever see....kinda made me laugh though when I saw last weeks first episode of Little Britain 3!!! :}

Bus429
23rd Nov 2005, 16:32
UK ANO prohibits being drunk on board an aircraft. Regulatory law in most other countries no doubt similar. Why the hell do p*ss heads still get on board? It's down to CC, ground staff and the aircraft's commander to deal with them and, particularly with the charter market, the commercial pressure to let them fly.

flash8
23rd Nov 2005, 17:37
I find the use of the word "Chav" derogatory, however its not hard to imagine the lower middle classes jumping on the word, after all we all like to make fun of people somewhat less fortunate than ourselves don't we?

As for the "legacy of cheap flights" why is it that some people equate lower socio-economic class with trouble? What you are trying to say is, to cut a boring explanation short, is that the poorer you are the less well behaved you are likely to be.

The word b*llsh*t comes to mind.

The Otter's Pocket
23rd Nov 2005, 17:44
Apaddy - Is that behaviour not a good reason for having the person restrained, or even arrested at the end of the flight?

Phileas Fogg
23rd Nov 2005, 18:49
If the airlines, many in this day and age, were to make beer etc. more readily available on board then perhaps they wouldn't drink so much before departure. Compare it to last orders at 11 p.m. thus lets get a few in before it's too late.

Last year I flew Kiev-AMS on KLM (ticketed with Ukraine International). When I asked for a beer they looked at me as if I was from another planet, 'we don't serve alcohol in economy class sir!' There was a roaring party going on the other side of the curtain so I asked the hostie for an empty cup and took from my inside pocket a beer that had fallen into my pocket as I had left Kiev's business class lounge, did I get a telling off or what for daring to drink a beer in KLM economy class!

Austrian Airlines, 3 euro's for a small beer but only one service during the flight, SAS you need to pay for it and so it goes on, the situation of 'binge drinking' before a flight is only going to deteriorate whilst the airlines become meaner and meaner.

mostie
23rd Nov 2005, 22:32
The one that pokes his/her head into the galley with a look of terror/panic on their face.

They proceed with, "I think I'm going to......." and then proceed to projectile vomit all over you.

It REALLY f@#ks up your day!

The African Dude
23rd Nov 2005, 23:09
Flash8

As clearly as it is part of our culture (unfortunately) to subconsciosly categorise each and every person we meet into the socio-economic categories you describe as lower-middle etc., it is also part and parcel that within these we have subgroups of people.

Interestingly though, much anthropological research has clearly shown that this categorisation does NOT depends upon the amount of money the person earns (slightly dependant upon our stoic British reluctance to talk about money) but rather on the way that person conducts and presents themself.

Unfortunately, along with the "lower-middle" you mentioned, also come "Chavs". Us British also have a tendency to support the underdog or the hardly-done-by too.. so derogatory or not, accept it exists and that there's nothing you can do about it!

PAXboy
24th Nov 2005, 12:53
Phileas Fogg Alcohol is restricted on flights due to cost and for the PAX's own comfort and safety. Your suggestion that carriers go back to the 'give them all that they want' is strange. Once you have had a seat neighbour who: Boards fairly sober but already 'started' and then proceeds to get drunk, to the point where they wet the seat in their sleep and then, upon waking, are violently ill all over you and your children ... perhaps you will see the problem. Not to mention the difficulties presented by these people should an emergency occur.

I am not unsympathetic to those that are frightened of flying. However, I am more frightened of my fellow SLF.

1DC
24th Nov 2005, 13:13
Some years ago I travelled from AMS to HUY on a shorts 360 of the late AirUK. We boarded, a full aircraft apart from two seats, i was lucky having an empty seat next to me. We sat for about twenty minutes and then two guys who were almost paryletic fell on to the aircraft. The guy attempting to sit next to me fell in the aisle on his way to his seat, lots of effing and blinding. He sat next to me and smelled as if he had recently thrown up. I advised the flight attendant that I wasn't prepared to sit next to him, she replied that i had to because the flight was full. I said I would not sit next to him and if necessary would get off, after a few words where I seemed to be the baddy and the drunk butting in to ask me what my effing problem was. The two drunks were sat together and i was moved and sat in the other drunks original seat.
How they were allowed to fly that night was amazing and is my worst experience of such problems.

Phileas Fogg
24th Nov 2005, 13:34
Paxboy,
As airline staff I wasn't suggesting that pax get seriously drunk, that would be going to the extreme!

Since they banned smoking, and I am a smoker, there is bugger all else to do on a flight, no movie (inter Europe), bugger all food, have you seen the menu on Austrian Airlines? I for one am fed up with pizza slices and seafood baguettes thus a couple or so beers during the flight would not be considered unreasonable.

But ..... as an instance, KLM economy class, inter Europe, is like a desert, the consumption of alcohol is strictly forbidden but the other side of the curtain, in business class, the alcohol is flowing freely.

Now by your standards, why is it OK for a business class pax to get drunk and wet his seat but not OK for the guy sitting behind him to do the same?

The best way I find to get thru a non-smoking flight is to doze or sleep, I don't have to drive when I get to my destination thus a few beers, in moderation, will help me doze or sleep.

And, in 26ish years of regular travelling, I have never wet my seat nor offended another passenger. Your response was going to the extreme and referring to a very small minority and not the regular and sensible traveller.

fernytickles
24th Nov 2005, 13:45
Is the booze culture when travelling a peculiarly British thing? After 4.5 years living in the US, when I've probably averaged about 4 or 5 commercial flights a year, I've yet to see the sort of antics I used to observe in the waiting area at MAN airport. Now that doesn't mean there are no drunks, just that I have never seen anyone wasted at a US airport. And there's plenty of hanging around time to be filled when travelling here. Maybe its something to do with the wishywashy beer here ;)

To say that the extended waiting time due to security changes is to blame for the drunkeness is a poor excuse. We all have to hang around and wait at various times in our lives, but don't get legless everytime. Whats wrong with watching a film, reading a book/magazine/newspaper, chatting to companions? Everyone has the choice, why do people choose to drink to excess? I don't know the answer to that one....fear of flying is definitely one reason, lack of self control or respect for others?

wiggy
24th Nov 2005, 14:54
There is certainly something odd about the Brit drinking culture...at either end of my UK/European weekly commute, around air port bars its quite common to see groups of Brits ( sadly by the volume of their conversations there is no doubt about the nationality) hoovering up pints of lager at 5, 6, or 7 in the AM...Now the Brits aren't the only morning drinkers - I've seen a planeload of French paras almost all indulge in a civilised quiet breakfast time drink, but why is it that a significant number of Brits seem obsessed by "going on the lash" at breakfast time in Airport bars ?

Oh yeah, FWIW I'm a Brit and definitely not tee total...but what the h*** is going on here?

Eddy
24th Nov 2005, 23:04
Gatwick Village = South Terminal = Easy Jet + Virgin + Charter, Charter, Charter!!!!!!

Getoutofmygalley
25th Nov 2005, 00:40
Gatwick Village = South Terminal = Easy Jet + Virgin + Charter, Charter, Charter!!!!!!

Meaning what exactly by that then Eddy? Don't forget there are other airlines that operate out of the South Terminal, for example Monarch, Ryanair, Flybe, Air Aurigny (or however that one is spelt). Don't go assuming that all the people that hang around the Gatwick Village are just the people you have quoted!

SkySista
25th Nov 2005, 01:17
Not so bad as some things mentioned, but annoying all the same...

Pax clipping toenails and leaving them on the floor (eewwwwww! :yuk: )

Getting your mate to watch your luggage so you can get away with not paying excess (don't think I don't know it's yours... I'll just charge yer mate instead... :p :E)

Pax pinching the FA's butt... (like, what makes you think that's ok??)

Flogging drinks off trolley when FA's back is turned (don't think she didn't see you either!) just don't ask for a coffee later you may get more than you bargained for.... :p ;)

Geez some pax are so gross...

lexxity
25th Nov 2005, 09:34
I just don't buy the "scared of flying" problem. I used to be terrified of flying and do you know what I did? I asked the doc for a prescription for a couple of valium and after that I stuck to using rescue remedy. I never, never got drunk. That just makes the problem worse.

We see this problem all the time at MAN in T1, which is mainly Lo-Co/Charter, there is a relationship no matter what you say.

SkySista
27th Nov 2005, 08:26
Rescue Remedy rules!!! :ok: :p

cwatters
27th Nov 2005, 09:15
Since they banned smoking, and I am a smoker, there is bugger all else to do on a flight

I guess smoking does tend to kill your imagination :-) Ever tried reading a book?

I overheard someone telling the person next to him the most outragous stories once. I'm convinced he was making them up to entertain himself.

powdermonkey
27th Nov 2005, 17:09
PLease explain:

Why can't
a) people be breathalised prior to boarding
b) if over limit, stopped from boarding -AND NO REFUND

Why do airlines serve alcohol on flights?
There is no excuse for being pissed when flying. It's unpleasant for the other pax and crew should never have to put up with drunks. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

If booze is to be served, for profit etc, 1 drink with a meal. That's it. You don't need to get pissed simply because you cannot find anything else to do when flying. Read a book and get some culture!! What bull**** that because there is no movie and the food is crap, the only thing to turn to is booze.

I am half Irish and have lived in Eire for 28yrs. I am sick to death of the pisshead mentality of the Irish and the English. " oh dear, I have to wait 2hrs before boarding, oh well, best ram 6 pints down my neck... there is simply nothing else to do!"
I simply don't get it, sorry if I offend anyone out there from the Ireland and the UK, but it's true, as soon as there is a social occasion, GET THEM IN QUICK, AS MANY AND AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

I am sick to death of it, no wonder the continent think we are muppets. Prime example, I was on a flight to Turkey, this Irish middle aged woman was so pissed, that during a 30 min stop at one airport in Turkey, she sat on the steps of the plane and lit up a fag! Very clever, especially when we were refuelling!

Time to grow up and be responsible, the world will not end if you can't drink for a few hours.
End of rant...hang on, not quite.....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ah that's Better:ok:

wingman863
27th Nov 2005, 17:50
In my experience when you fly easyjet and to a lesser extent flybe, you are very likely to come across badly dressed scum. When flying BMI or BA this simply does not happen. The funniest experience of airborne chavs was during the summer on a flight from LGW to BFS. Daddy chav, complete with burberry hat and a belly hanging over his tracksuit bottoms, tripped climbing onto the airstair which resulted in the aforesaid tracksuit bottoms comming down just enough to reveal some hilfiger boxers and his large arse crack. His chavette in training (daughter) was similarly attired and had most of argos' stock of jewellery hanging off her.

Cue the "thats so unfair" comments.

People such as these beg to be slagged to death for their behaviour and overwhelming lack of taste. They have a "get pissed" mentality and seem to pour any substance which is vaguely flammable down their necks before boarding a flight to join some of their countrymen in some hole in spain.

As much as we can complain, they are great entertainment from a safe distance.

sleepinpassenger
27th Nov 2005, 18:11
Its all true the passengers on those airlines mentioned are plebian in the extreme ghastly drunks. But what about the hostesses awful common accents regional in most cases but some with that awful elocution class harshness.

Enough to turn anyone to drink.

:yuk:

But in anycase of course some inhabitants of the british isles have a problem with drink. If the do and they are causing trouble then dont let them fly. Otherwise who cares, a lot of the population only flies a few times a yea,r its a treat for them-why shouldnt they get merry- if they overstep the mark bar them.

badbiccychucker
27th Nov 2005, 18:25
What a load of sanctimonious bollocks being written.

Yes, lets breath test the passengers but only after they breath test the cabin crew infront of all the passengers aswell!

Lets get our own house in order first. There are enough incidences of drunk/ over the limit cabin crew, we have all smelt them as they turn up for work.

Which reminds me what did happen to the two P**heads from BA who got done in Helsinki? Hopefully both sacked for bringing us all into disrepute. With incidences like that, we really do not help our cause.

EI-CFC
27th Nov 2005, 19:34
When flying BMI or BA this simply does not happen

Whatever about BA, have you been on a bmi flight lately? ;)

firstchoice7e7
29th Nov 2005, 04:03
my most cringy flight was a BA shuttle from LHR-GLA on xmas eve late 90's, 'donald' a Glaswegian drunk sat next to me and proceeded to make me feel v uncomfortable throughout the flight, he was plastered on G and T and spoke absolute drivel throughout the flight. Saying that i was on a Easyjet flight LTN-GLA a couple of years lateR again, xmas eve and there was a tracksuited chav with gold hoops and b/b cap, high on amphetamine and tennets i suspect, telling the EZY despatcher 'to get a f****** move on' at the gate in LTN.

Just goes to show you get a better class of drunk on BA, at least he was drunk on G and T! :p

Edited for bad spelling (yes ive got glasgow roots and im posting this at 5am with a g and t in my hand!)

airhead10
29th Nov 2005, 05:11
There is another side to the subject of drinking on flights. My wife and I recently had a dreadful flight on Emirates.

We were returning to Hong Kong and boarded the Dubai/HK leg on 5th November. Sitting in front was, as it turned out later) a Greek gentleman and his wife. A meal was served and my wife chose a bottle of wine to go with her meal. I had a beer. My wife was having trouble with her TV monitor in the seat back and was prodding fruitlessly at the screen. The “gentleman” in front leapt up and turned on my wife screaming that if she was going to do that for the rest of the flight he would be having a go at her! The whole aircraft heard this outburst. We were stunned into silence and just looked at each other.

After the trays were removed my wife was given a second bottle of wine, (lets not forget they are small bottles!!) and I had a second beer. The drinks were on the seat tray in front as we read our books. Without warning the “gentleman” in front shot his seat back into the reclining position, promptly dumping my wife’s wine all over her lap. She cried out with an inevitable “SH*T!”. The man leaps to his feet again and commences screaming at her again. “How was I to know you had a drink, you stupid woman! Anyway, you should watch your drinking!!” Not wishing to inflame the situation, I asked him to please sit down and face the front. He then turned on me stating he would have a go at me as well, telling me I should also watch my drinking and watch out for my wife’s drinking!!

My wife went to the crew at the rear to clean up the spilled wine. They asked what was going on. They then advised that if there was any further trouble to let them know as they would not accept any air rage on the flight. Ten minutes later one of the cabin crew arrived with 2 glasses of champagne from business class and announced in a loud voice, “Enjoy your champagne madam!”. This clearly infuriated the “gentleman” who again slammed his seat back. My wife was ready for him this time, snatching her glass away before being caught by his seat. The man then told the cabin crew member that he wished to complain about us, she responded by telling him we had already complained about him and would he please raise his seat slightly and to leave us alone.

About 30 minutes later the “gentleman” carried out his ‘coup-de-grace’ slamming his seat back so violently that he injured my wife’s knee. She was in tears of pain. The crew again told the man to sit up slightly and to give us room.

My wife is still suffering from pain to her knee. What were my options? Request that the police be called and report him for assault? Some friends suggested having a go at him, however, I feel that this would simply have inflamed the situation. My point is that it isn’t always drinking that causes problem passengers!!

By the way, if the lovely girl who looked after us reads this, just want to say thanks!