PDA

View Full Version : Observer & WSO Aptitude scores question???

nazmasterx
22nd Nov 2005, 10:15
Hope someone can answer a quick question for me as I've just phoned OASC and been told to call 4 different extensions and still have'nt had a straight answer.

I've just been down to OASC where I was going for WSO with the RAF which i've subsequently very marginally failed the aptitude by 4 points according to the debrief officer. He said my work rate had let me down in the tests.
What I wanted to know is if the WSO scores are the same as Observer scores as I was quite interested in the Royal Naval option as well but I was not given a definative answer by anyone down at OASC about the scores being the same or different.

Im gutted at failing WSO despite getting a pass in Pilot as am now heading towards the age of 25 and was desperate to get flying doing something. I am now desperately trieing to see if the score would be good enough for Observer so I can possibly give that a try so would be grateful if anyone knows the answer to my question.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again

UberPilot
22nd Nov 2005, 10:22
The RN Obs aptitude test is compiled from a slightly different selection elements of the overall battery than RAF WSO. I am led to believe therefore that scores a not directly transferable between the two. To get your Obs score you need to contact a RN AFCO and apply I believe when they will then ask Cranwell for your relevant RN Obs conversion.

Generally though, they are of a similar principle, i.e. workload, ability to multi task etc. So although it may convert to a pass, it won't be spectacular. I also believe, and I'm sure others will correct this if wrong, that you have to have passed ATC as well to be considered for AIB.

nazmasterx
23rd Nov 2005, 20:39
Thanks for that.
Its giving me a little bit of hope of that I may have passed for Observer if the batterys are different from Weapon System Officer.
Also just wondering then if the same is true for pilot with the Royal Navy's battery being different or are they exactly the same for both the RAF and Navy?
I've already passed Pilot with the RAF so am hopeing that If i've passed Observer I can also go for Pilot as well with the Navy

Can anyone clue me up on this?

Thanks, Naz

Bigtop
24th Nov 2005, 21:38
Nas - see PM. The FTO at BRNC may be able to help.