PDA

View Full Version : Air Zim grounded!

Deanw
22nd Nov 2005, 08:09
Air Zim runs out of fuel

Nov 22 2005

Harare - Zimbabwe's national carrier has grounded its entire fleet and suspended the airline's boss after running out of fuel, a state-run daily said Tueday.

"All flights were cancelled until further notice owing to a dearth of Jet A1 fuel, inconveniencing hundreds of passengers," the Herald reported.

The newspaper said the Air Zimbabwe board had suspended chief executive Tendai Mahachi and company secretary Tendai Mujuru "pending investigations into serious disruptions of the national airliner's operations and services".

Stranded and frustrated passengers were milling around the Harare International Airport departure lounges after Air Zimbabwe cancelled all its flights on Monday, The Herald said.

Among those affected were passengers travelling to Johannesburg, Kampala, Singapore, Malawi, Zambia and the tourist resort of Victoria Falls.

"I have actually lost business today," the newspaper quoted a passenger as saying.

"I was supposed to be doing something profitable but I am stranded here and I am going to incur a lot of costs. You can't even plan when you are flying on Air Zimbabwe.

Air Zimbabwe's fortunes have been flagging in recent years because of critical shortages of fuel and spares and allegations of maladministration including plying non-profitable routes.

Early this year the airline flew one passenger from Harare to Dubai on a plane that carries 200 passengers.

In July, it cancelled some of its domestic and international flights because of fuel shortages and lack of spares for its Boeing planes.

Zimbabwe has been experiencing fuel shortages in the last five years blamed on shortages of hard currency.

Air Zimbabwe officials told the Herald that spares for some of its planes had been phased out by the manufacturer, Boeing.

Following sanctions and isolation by western countries over the political crisis in the country, Zimbabwe has adopted the "Look East" policy, fostering close relations with Asian countries, particularly China, Malaysia and Singapore.

In April, Air Zimbabwe took delivery of three MA60 passenger planes from China's state-owned AVIC aircraft manufacturer.
Fin24

SortieIII
22nd Nov 2005, 08:56
Is this the same country that is going to send instructors to train the SAAF? :confused:

Deanw
22nd Nov 2005, 10:25
Lifeline for Air Zim

Nov 22 2005 12:30:56:680PM

Harare - Zimbabwe's national airline Air Zimbabwe resumed flights on Tuesday after receiving a shipment of fuel, airline officials said.
Zimbabwe ran out of jet gasoline and grounded all its services on Monday. The country in southern Africa is suffering acute shortages of all types of gasoline in the worst economic crisis since independence from Britain in 1980.

State radio reported on Tuesday the airline's board suspended chief executive Tendai Mahachi and financial director Tendai Mujuru while investigations into their handling of fuel shortages were carried out.

At least six domestic and international flights were canceled on Monday. It was the first time the airline's planes were brought to a complete standstill by fuel shortages.
Fin24

B Sousa
22nd Nov 2005, 12:53
Bet they didnt suspend work on Mugarbages new house...........

captain cumulonimbus
22nd Nov 2005, 20:40
As i posted in a previous thread on here,could the latest shortage have anything to do with the visit of Chinese VIPs in a 767-300Er into HRE last night? If they're so short of fuel,one wonders if perhaps all that was allocated to Air Zim went into filling up the visiting 763???

ps,who bailed them out with relief fuel late this afternoon? SA?

Beechjet
22nd Nov 2005, 20:57
CC, Who else......anyway now at least we know were the flight instructors are comming from. At least the SA and Zim cronies got one thing right, multi tasking.

mini
23rd Nov 2005, 00:21
Must be getting desperate when the Herald is doing the trumpeting...

captain cumulonimbus
23rd Nov 2005, 20:34
We'll have to teach the Zim Flight Instructors what Jet A-1 smells and looks like before they start training us...

slapfaan
24th Nov 2005, 10:33
It's either Tony Blair's fault...or maybe the gays???

captain cumulonimbus
24th Nov 2005, 19:33
"You,Mister Blayah,can keep your Britayn,and I shall keep my Zimbabwe..." Hey,at least Mugabe knows if theres ever a riot in Zim they certainly won't be using petrol bombs!:cool:

Shrike200
25th Nov 2005, 17:28
Petrol Bombs...ha ha, good one!

How come I routinely see an Air Zim 73 on the ramp at JIA? I'm betting they fill the tanks when departing. I even saw it getting pushed back the other day, so they might even be flying it!

MysticFlyer
25th Nov 2005, 18:09
Looking here, reading and shaking head.....

Beechmonkey still wishes to support Bob (who in my opinion is quarter of a chromosome short of being a great attraction at your local zoo).

So this is reflective of non-reflective thinking currently in Southern Africa aspiring to attain recognition from the rest of the WORLDWIDE aviation community and that through excellerated command. Methinks you'll do well in the Air China relaying ATC instructions to the crew!

Now what for a fine mess have we got here? Politics normally is a current state and has variables. Southern Africa does not have to remain in that state. Remember, change towards the better, you've battled to impress!

Nommer, rang...naam? Ubami ka malango, o hlala guhpi, u dla kae, hey BOY? Hauw, modimo, dis die baas wat praat! :E

Apologies, major feudian slip there.

MF ;)

Gunship
30th Nov 2005, 18:32
Looks like they where on the ground again ... and new rescued ... again ..

Air Zimbabwe has resumed some domestic, regional and international flights following government intervention after being grounded owing to a lack of fuel, the State-owned Zimbabwe Herald newspaper reported on Wednesday.

This came as acting chief executive Captain Oscar Madombwe and management deliberated on new strategies to rescue the ailing airline, it said.

The newspaper said Air Zimbabwe had grounded its entire fleet on Monday and cancelled some of its domestic, regional and international flights until further notice owing to the shortage of Jet A1 fuel.

FULL STORY (http://africa.iafrica.com/african_business/605024.htm)

Paterbrat
2nd Dec 2005, 10:30
Wonder if there have been any parties in the local Zim Breweries?

Coleman Myers
2nd Dec 2005, 11:08
UM NBO - HRE cancelled yesterday and pax farmed out to KQ ... can't be profitable .. privatisation is the only way !!!!!!.

Paterbrat
2nd Dec 2005, 12:48
Privatisation perhaps being a polite way of perhaps saying 'different' management.

MysticFlyer
3rd Dec 2005, 18:31
Howzit Paterbrat,

Management? You're so right one monkey is stealing all the banana's and is now throwing tantrums because none is being thrown anymore!

Greetings

MF:ok: