View Full Version : Clarification sought, regarding visual acuity Class I Medical Renewals limits.

Howlinwolf
22nd Nov 2005, 00:03
Clarification sought, regarding visual acuity Class I Medical Renewals limits.
From the CAA web site
JAR Class 1
The initial refractive error (correction) limit is +5/-5 dioptres, but this becomes +5/-8 for renewal/revalidation. The astigmatism (distortion) and anisometropia (difference between the eyes) initial limits are 2 dioptres, but are 3 dioptres for renewal/revalidation.
And further-
JAR Class 1 (Professional Pilot) Initial Examination Visual Standards
Under the heading of Distance Vision “If you need correction the refractive error (the amount of correction) must not exceed +5.00 dioptres of long sight or -5.00 dioptres of short sight.” etc.

In my case, distance vision correction is +2.75, with a further +1.25 for near vision. With a total correction of + 4.00 dioptres I am concerned as to whether the +5.00 dioptres limit applies to the total correction or just the distance vision. Need I be concerned? Any help with this gratefully received.

Howlinwolf

Irishwingz
22nd Nov 2005, 15:29
mate, best to go to the source as its important you get the right answer.

call the CAA aeromedical centre at Gatwick and ask to speak to the optometrist. They are very helpful there.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=1450

Howlinwolf
27th Nov 2005, 19:37
Thanks for your comments Irishwingz and to Terry who also phoned the nice people at the CAA aero medical centre at Gatwick.

It would appear that the initial correction limits of +5/-5 & renewal/revalidation limits of +5/-8 dioptres, is for distance vision only. So my concerns, about additional corrections for near vision being included, for the purpose of these limits were ill founded.

Howlinwolf