PDA

View Full Version : Please help with lecture for test

blueb0y79
21st Nov 2005, 13:44
Calling all FI's,

I've got my test coming up for the FI rating this week. As a mock test ive been told to prepare a lecture to give to my insructor. Has anyone got any advise on where i can prepare for this please ? It can be on any topic.

Thanks everyone.

BB

mad_jock
21st Nov 2005, 14:46
Just pick any subject you like and look at Thevor Thom. And cobbel something together.

If you can't think of of a subject I will give you one.

Lecture title: Max rate level turns.

hugh flung_dung
21st Nov 2005, 14:57
Some long briefs that you can get your teeth into are:
- VFR diversion planning,
- stalling
- constant speed propellors
... loads of info on the web and in the usual books.

HFD

Whopity
21st Nov 2005, 19:08
"I've got my test coming up for the FI rating this week"

What on earth have you been doing on your FI Course if you have to ask such a question here?

You have the entire PPL syllabus to choose from. If you have been given carte blanche pick you favourite topic and use a little imagination.

Or is this a wind up? Talking of which how about prop theory, can you draw and describe all the forces acting on a propellor? Well you should be able to!

18greens
21st Nov 2005, 20:58
High lift devices, the marks on an ASI, how to fill out a flight plan, why not to exceed VNE, horn balances, the combustion cycle, pressure instruments. Oooh the exciting list goes on and on.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Nov 2005, 21:34
A favourite of mine if I want to blind people with science is how to calculate the flight envelope (g-limits, Vne, Va, Vb, Vfe, Vh, etc. etc.) It's particularly good for demonstrating how good you are with different coloured chalk/marker!

G

Freebird17
21st Nov 2005, 21:48
Thunderstorms - another one which will allow you to display your prowess with marker pens

P.Pilcher
24th Nov 2005, 22:14
Well, my favourite would be "Tracking to and from an NDB using an RBI".

I never did this on any of my courses but had to teach it, so I worked out how to do so in the bath one night. At my next FI renewal, Frank Morgan (R.I.P.) asked me how I did just that. I got out the coloured chalks and spent much time explaining same on the board. "Capital", he announced " I had to work out how to do this in 1948 and invented the same system you use today"!

P.P.

gemini76
28th Nov 2005, 07:50
PP, just out of interest, just how did you teach tracking to and from using an RBI ?

Always willing to listen and learn.........

Speed Twelve
1st Dec 2005, 18:10
Mad Jock

Didn't know max rate turns were in the civvy FI syllabus...

Have they chucked in formation, LL pilot nav and aeros as well now? ;)

ST

mad_jock
1st Dec 2005, 19:19
Gawds knows m8 its what I did my lecture on :D which I might add was choosen by dropping a book and doing the subject the page fell open on. The examiner got the instructor to choose the subject a couple of days before the flight test using this method.

I think the object of the exercise is not par say to lecture on the the PPL subject. Its to show that you can construct a lecture and give it. The subject matter dosn't really matter.

Personally I didn't mind the subject I just downloaded the lecture plan from the 2nd year Mech Eng Aero course and printed the hand out. Chopped most of the maths out and went into lecturing mode.

MJ

Speed Twelve
2nd Dec 2005, 13:00
MJ

OK, chap. Only learned the technique for max rate turns when doing my mil instructor conversion. Something I was aware of, but had never seen the technique published in a civilian text.

Did you then go and fly it as an exercise? Apparently it's 'fun' in a Tucano or Hawk, as you're sitting at 6g or so sustained max rate trying to patter to the stude!

ST

Send Clowns
2nd Dec 2005, 15:40
I love that one Genghis! The look of wonder on a bright student's face as the envelope appears out of aerodynamics they already understand and simple logic must mirror my own when I was first taught this.

mad_jock
4th Dec 2005, 14:47
Nope didn't fly it.

And you might be right the book could have been mil.

MJ

P.Pilcher
4th Dec 2005, 22:10
Gemini76 - sorry not been watching this board as much as I should. I am certainly not typing out my brief here - it will take ages! P.M. me your e-mail and I will then take it further.

P.P.