PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Visits (no, not 'can I')

The SSK
21st Nov 2005, 11:37
On a flight last week to a Southern European capital, on the flag carrier of that country, the (C-Class) passenger sitting next to me was given the nod by the flight attendant during the taxi out to go up to the flight deck, where he stayed until the drinks/meal service.

At the top of descent he was invited back and stayed there for the landing.

I'm just trying to imagine scenarios where that might be legal and/or standard practice.

Globaliser
21st Nov 2005, 12:24
Not all European regulators have banned flight deck visits whilst in flight, so the answer may depend on the airline concerned.

lexxity
21st Nov 2005, 14:47
Could have been an off duty member of staff for that airline.

Leezyjet
21st Nov 2005, 18:35
A certain French Flag carrier allow this. Even for non airline employees.

:)

Gonzo
21st Nov 2005, 22:21
Could have been an air traffic controller.

MagnusP
22nd Nov 2005, 08:29
All changed now, of course, but I used to get invited forward by AirUK FC on evening flights LCY-EDI as they'd sussed that I worked at an observatory, and wanted me to ID something they'd seen, or to let me see a comet when there was one visible. Nice crowd.

speke2me
22nd Nov 2005, 19:39
asked on a Monarch holiday charter (Lanzarote-Manchester, return flight to UK) about 10yrs ago, to 'have a look up front'.

All went well, PIC showing me the weather radar, tuning in to some local ATC and turning up the speaker etc.

Then when I said I carried a hand-scanner (not used on the aircraft of course) and explained I had listened in to Arrecife approach and heard him coming in, it all suddenly went a little cooler.

"oh - you're one of those are you?"

and then the conversation dwindled very quickly, at which point, I thanked them and left.

Is it looked down upon for punters to listen in on ATC?

I hear some US airlines have ATC comms (or maybe did before 911) on their in-flight channels. Would love, as a PAX, to have that facility - even just for ENR without take-off/landing.

On a recent flight to Helsinki from UK (Sabina? - can't remember) had cams showing taxi/tak-off/landing phases from a nose-wheel camera on PAX monitors - brilliant!

Some of your PAX are really interested in the flight aspect, you know...

lexxity
22nd Nov 2005, 22:12
I hear some US airlines have ATC comms (or maybe did before 911) on their in-flight channels. Would love, as a PAX, to have that facility - even just for ENR without take-off/landing.

Yep, United, Channel 9 on the radio.

Flip Flop Flyer
23rd Nov 2005, 10:09
Recently flew across the pond with a well-known European carrier. Enroute to the states I (discretely) flashed my airline ID and crew certificate to the No. 1 and asked for a visit up front. Much to my delight, the skipper had a pack of smokes lying on the centre pedestal! Best flight I've had in ages; sipping Jack and Coke in 1A - off to the cockpit for a smoke and a chat - back in 1A for more J&C etc etc etc. The fun ended when we entered Canadian airspace though.

So yes, it can be done with certain airlines - especially if you hold an airline ID or a crew certificate (or, preferably, both).

Provided you have ID and certificate, a number of European airlines may accomodate a request. Then again, they may not - it very much depends on the No. 1 feeling like passing on your request and the acceptance, or not, from the skipper.

(Airline names omitted for all the obvious reasons!)

The SSK
23rd Nov 2005, 11:31
How much did he charge you for the smokes?

(Please don't say a slug of J&C)

Flip Flop Flyer
28th Nov 2005, 11:54
As is typical for skippers, he was happy smoking 10 of mine for 1 of his :ok:

And no, I didn't bring J&C to the cockpit - that would have been stretching the privlige just a tad too far :E