PDA

View Full Version : Failing DVD disks

BOAC
21st Nov 2005, 11:08
I purchased a 'snap' deal of '2-for-price of 1' Samsung DVD-R8X disks from Office World a few months ago following a tipoff on this forum.

A few of them have worked fine, playing back several times without problem, and then suddenly the drives on my desktop (LG4160) and DVDRec (JVC) will not recognise them as disks, and the heads just hunt endlessly. Some have been recorded via DVDR dub and some via PC. The odd ones are still working normally (at the moment).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it likely I got a bunch of duff disks in the 'bargain' or are DVD disks known to be unreliable?

BOAC
23rd Nov 2005, 07:49
The exponential learning curve roars steadily upwards!

Using my favourite site, (http://digitalfaq.com/) I downloaded the programme cd-dvd speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/) as recommended and found that my 'Samsung' branded disks were in fact 'OPTODISK' disks with a reported 80-95% burn success rate, the same company's DVD+R and +RW disks being rated as 'coaster quality'. My '4.7GB' disks also showed as '4.38GB' capacity - huh!

It is certainly a jungle out there. Buyer beware! The prospect of using the massive 4.7(4.38??) for reliable data storage frightens me somewhat, 'cos when old Mother Hubbard goes to the DVD cupboard..........................

Jhieminga
23rd Nov 2005, 08:09
My '4.7GB' disks also showed as '4.38GB' capacity - huh!
Isn't this just the difference between seeing a kbit as 1000 or 1024 bits? Similarly a 512 Mb memory card will only show 489 Mb usable. Just a different way of counting bits!

BOAC
23rd Nov 2005, 08:22
Maybe - beyond my 'ken'! The DVD info site I linked does say that capacity is often 'not as stated'.

Jhieminga
23rd Nov 2005, 08:55
Interesting site that one! I found this on the subject:Quick note: "4.7 GIG" vs 4.38GB disc size

Many people wonder why there 4.7 GIG discs are "defective" and "only" write 4.38 GB at maximum capacity. This is not an error of any kind, but rather an industry inconsistency. The 4.7 "GIG" that is calculated is actually 4.7 billion bytes. But on a computer, it takes 1024 bytes, not merely 1000, to make up a full MB.

The 4.7 GIG discs = 4.38 GB = 4489 MB (for DVD-R) and 4483 (for DVD+R)

This kind of inconsistency is found in many other areas. For example, the 120GB hard drive will format to about 112GB, requiring 8GB for file system and other settings. A 6-hour video tape is about 6:05 in length. And let's not forget the most famous one: hot dogs come in packs of 10 while buns come in packs of 8.

From here (http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm).

BOAC
23rd Nov 2005, 09:12
Ta, J, should have read further.................:{

spekesoftly
23rd Nov 2005, 09:41
Perhaps not quite the same issue, but it seems that some makes of DVD recorder are 'fussy' about which brand of dvd disc is used. After making some enquiries, I was sent a list of recommended brands for our model (CyberHome DVR1600). So far I've used Sony and Maxell DVD+RWs, and have not yet had any actual failures. Occasionally the DVR will not initially recognise a disc, usually when swapping from one to another, or after inserting a fresh blank, prior to formatting. Re-inserting the disc, or switching off and then back on, fixes the problem.

Another mystery is that the handbook and spec sheet clearly state that the DVR1600 can only record to DVD+RW or DVD+R discs, but I've made several successful recordings on a DVD-R ! :confused:

BOAC
23rd Nov 2005, 10:30
Another mystery - it does not seem to affect the recording 'success' on my DVDR whether I format the disk first or just go straight into 'dubbing':confused: