PDA

View Full Version : BA 1303 20th November

Shack37
21st Nov 2005, 10:00
BA1303 / 20 Nov. 2005

Let me start by saying that every member of BA Ground Staff at ABZ I spoke to by phone during the following episode was extremely professional, courteous and helpful. To them I am grateful, I can only imagine what abuse they may have been facing at the time from disgruntled pax face to face across the information desk.

This in short is the order of events yesterday:-

At 0745 I waved Mrs S37 off through departures at ABZ at the start of her journey to the sun, BA1303, ABZ to LHR then BA7087 (IB4143), LHR to SVQ. The first leg was scheduled to depart ABZ at 0825. At LHR she had 1hr 15mins to stroll from T1 to T2, no problem with baggage checked through to SVQ and both boarding passes issued at ABZ.

At 0900 Mrs S37 called from ABZ to say flight delayed due to fog at LHR but hoping to depart soon. At 1020 I checked teletext for LHR T1 flight ETAs to find that BA1303 did not have one. I rang BA at ABZ and was told that the flight was now boarding and that any pax missing onward connections due to the delay would have alternative flights arranged by the airline. Feeling somewhat relieved I relaxed and waited for my wife to call home on arrival in Seville.

When, by 1700 I had heard nothing from Mrs S37 I phoned BA at ABZ again and was told that she had been rebooked on BA6972 (LGW to SVQ) which was due to depart at 1715. Once again I relaxed, (this time with a small glass of the local produce) confident of receiving a call from a tired but happy wife in about 3 hours time to confirm her arrival in Seville. IT WAS NOT TO BE!!!!

At 1830 Mrs37, yes tired but not too emotional, called me from her hotel near LHR.
The big airline had pushed the boat out, she and some 150 other delayed pax had been accommodated in the Renaissance.
Needless to say she was surprised to hear she was already half way to SVQ from Gatwick.
She had spent 6 hours in a queue at Flight Connections before being sent back to T1 to be told of the overnight arrangements and flight rebooking for today.
Unfortunately her bag was still at LHR (we hope) and she was left without any toiletries etc for her unexpected overnight stop in London. No one offered any help on this

She will have fully recovered by this morning and her holiday enjoyment will be unimpaired. No lasting mental scarring has been caused, I hope the same can be said of the BA staff involved in yesterdays chaos because they must have had a truly horrendous day, especially in LHR Flight Connections.

On a more serious note, I find it a bit worrying that my wife was shown as being (booked) on BA6972 LGW to SVQ only 15 minutes before its scheduled departure time when she was actually somewhere between LHR and the hotel booked by BA.

Shack37

Epilogue
Flight arrived 1 hour late WITHOUT said pax luggage.
Who to blame? BA or Iberia?
Any airline people reading this? Would appreciate advice.
S37

GwynM
21st Nov 2005, 10:50
I've done 20 LHR-ABZ-LHR returns so far this year (all at about £350 each) and work on the basis that 50% of the flights will have at least a 30 minute delay. Some people I work with say I'm being optimistic...

At least I've now got my silver card so I can play sardines in the micro-lounge in Aberdeen

spiney
26th Nov 2005, 21:45
Gotta agree with GwynM... 1hr 15mins may seem a lot, and it's probably a valid connection time in BA's eyes - but is it reliably do-able? Knock off the 15 mins slot delay in ABZ, another 15 mins for the 'round-and-round' bit over SE England, yet another grindingly slow taxi to the gate that's still occupied and Mrs37's hour-and-a-quarter leisurely stroll to the gate is more of an 800m dash... with hurdles... Do-able in LGW, but in LHR? - I'd have got the Red Eye first thing.. might have had to kill an hour in T2, but that beats the dubious delights of an Airport Hotel.. "I can assure you... SIR... it IS a sausage...!"

Shack37
26th Nov 2005, 22:24
All's well that ends well, luggage arrived next day and somebody coughed up 97 euros for toiletries etc.
Could have been BA or Iberia, who cares?

BTW 1hr 15m is the absolute minimum BA allow for connections at LHR

Cheers,
S37

gobfa
26th Nov 2005, 22:37
Spiney,

"I'd have got the Red Eye first thing.. might have had to kill an hour in T2, but that beats the dubious delights of an Airport Hotel.. "

Excellent advice, pity this was a Sunday and the BA1303 is the first flight of the day to LHR.