PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Cams

gashman
20th Nov 2005, 14:27
Anyone got any experience in using helmet mounted cameras to film from the cockpit? I'm trying to find a way to capture some footage without killing myself or hampering flight safety. Is solid state video storage available? It's got to be a hands free jobber, and I'm not talking about those bricks you see strapped to the heads of loonie skydivers.

TVM

glum
20th Nov 2005, 16:56
Use a camcorder with an AV input socket and a remote 'lipstick' sized camera strapped to your head.

The cables are very small and light, and the camcorder itself can be strapped wherever it's safest.

Make sure you use gear which is cleared for your aircraft type!

gashman
20th Nov 2005, 17:16
Thanks, anyone had probs with the camcorder breaking under high Gz?

akula
20th Nov 2005, 17:23
Hi,

I have used this for a variety of action tasks and it gives good quality video, the only downside is the limited memory (requires expensive memory stick pro to upgrade the memory). It is tough as old boots.

http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=1305

I got mine stateside so a lot cheaper.

gashman
20th Nov 2005, 17:39
super job, I'll write a letter to Santa right now.

Talking Radalt
20th Nov 2005, 17:54
I do hope you're not thinking of illegally modifying a flying helmet? :ooh:
Course any device will need to be tested at Boscombe then sent to Henlow and declared fit to dive to 20,000 leagues, fly to the moon and back, have a lower Geiger count than occurs naturally in the atmosphere and withstand acceleration to 20g sub 5 seconds......

..........just to go on a low-speed medium level jaunt round Wales or something. :rolleyes:

Background Noise
21st Nov 2005, 07:50
akula - that looks good, how much video recording (time) can you get on the 1gig memory?

Regie Mental
21st Nov 2005, 08:54
Suggest you call the photogs at Media Comms at Strike, they have both the experience and the equipment and as anything you film is crown copyright anyway I see no reason why they won't assist.....

Vox Populi
21st Nov 2005, 09:49
Thanks, anyone had probs with the camcorder breaking under high Gz?

It won't break under the sort of G you will experience (<9g) unless of course you whack it against something...

If you use tape (even digital formats such as mini DV) I've been told that the magnetic particles will rearrange themselves under the force of an ejection (>20g)...but I've thankfully not tested that yet.

vp

PS I suspect by now there's a team at Wyton on standby for your request...

tucumseh
21st Nov 2005, 11:24
"I do hope you're not thinking of illegally modifying a flying helmet?"

Depending on what aircraft you're flying, the helmet may be part of the avionics system for EMC and TEMPEST purposes, as opposed to separately tested aircrew equipment. Powered electronics in/on a helmet usually moves the helmet across the control boundary into the avionics system.

Tamaze Man
21st Nov 2005, 12:04
If this is for a FJ, how will you get auto-separation on ejection (as you would have with NVGs?). If you do not have time to pull the camera off your helmet, you may be asking for a broken neck! Beware!

Talking Radalt
21st Nov 2005, 16:34
Must admit my comment was only thinly veiled in jest, although the compete lack of any acknowledgement from Background Noise or gashman leaves me thinking they're actually gonna go ahead and just do it, and say bollox to the possibilities.....:(

Runaway Gun
21st Nov 2005, 16:41
Try http://www.helmetcamera.com/

Just a very light indestructable lipstick camera, velcroed to your helmet, head or crotchless G-suit.

Plugs into most mini cameras.