PDA

View Full Version : To get typed or not?

LimpopoHippo
20th Nov 2005, 13:19
Have 5500TT, 1500 ME(not jet). The question is:

Is it worth paying for a type rating for 737NG or an airbus product so as to boost chances of getting hired in South East Asia?

If anybody has gone this way or would care to share your thoughts on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

El Oso
21st Nov 2005, 01:25
Do your homework first.

Some SE Asian CAA's will not accept bare ratings unless they come from the manufacturer's school, but others will. So if you just go out and buy a "cheap" A320 or NG rating you may be dissappointed later on.

I recommend you find out the DFO or CP's names and contact numbers of the various A320 / B737NG operators in SE Asia and keep calling until you get them. Ask the obvious question of do they require a rating for an interview or just the written offer of intention to purchase. And if so what local CAA reqts are there? Some even bond you for line training even though you have a type rating - so be prepared for variations in terms and condx. With your total time, once you have 500 - 1,000 on type your options will change.

Right now there are some operators looking for A320 pilots (Both CPT's & F/O's) in SE Asia (Vietnam, Dragon, Macau, Tiger, etc) China & the Gulf (QATAR, Gulf Air, NAS, etc). Search for these jobs through their own web sites or the agencies like; PARC, Direct Personnel, climbto350.com, etc.

Some want good total time for potential upgrades within 2 years, others do not. Most prefer a "good" ICAO ATPL.

Good luck.

:ok:

Neptunus Rex
21st Nov 2005, 12:04
LimpopoHippo

You quote 5,500 TT and '1,500 Multi but not Jet.'
If you have 1,000 hrs Multi Turbine, you will get a shot with many operators. Sadly, if it's 1,500 hrs Multi Piston it's a different story. Also, there is 'Weight for Age.' If you are over 40 with 5,500 hrs, you will be pushing the proverbial uphill; that is, until the market you are probing needs more pilots. You may need to look overseas from Home Plate to get the break you are seeking.

BTW, the 'Jet' bit is easy, after all, you can't feather a hole. The bit most don't comprehend is the vast difference between a swept wing and a straight one!

Bon chance mon ami,

Neppie :cool: