PDA

View Full Version : Floatplane in Sydney

TangoZulu
19th Nov 2005, 22:39
Hi

I am currently on holiday in Sydney and have seen the floatplanes doing the scenic flights.

I would like to do one of these, but preferably with an instructor so I have a chance to fly a bit myself (UK PPL) and possibly go for a bit longer than the regular 15 minute circuit of the harbour.

I have made some enquiries here at one of the companies and looked on the web but am struggling to find a company or school which could offer this?

Can anyone provide any pointers please?

Thanks

TZ

rearviewmirror
20th Nov 2005, 05:53
TZ, try SeaWing, he might still be doing training in the Beaver - SWB, expensive, but a very tidy beaver. Apart from that, there is a guy up at Port Stephens, about 2.5 hours north, he does training in a C-185.

kiwiblue
20th Nov 2005, 10:40
Try Nelson Bay... C206 on PeeKays @ $550ph training

4SPOOLED
21st Nov 2005, 03:57
why would a 206 be that much per hour even if it is a seaplane when a 210 is only $325 per hour?

Is it lack of competition?

I mean a floaty wouldnt have to pay landing fees or anything would it?

I would imagine if it didnt have gear un the floats though it would be an expensive op to give it its 100 hourly's

interesting...anyone shed any light on this one?

disco_air
21st Nov 2005, 08:44
Upkeep costs in general for floatplanes are significantly higher than landplane counterparts, not to mention access to terminals, fuel, maintenance etc etc

This is especially true for saltwater based seaplanes - corrosion works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Steve will take you for a run in his Beaver VH-SWB, however it may be expensive. Look here (http://www.seawing-airways.com.au)

...Disco

Woomera
21st Nov 2005, 08:54
4SPOOLED. I suspect he's asking his real cost of operation plus profit.

I have no problem with $550 per hour for a C206 on floats.

Welcome to the real world.

Woomera

Binoculars
21st Nov 2005, 10:56
I'm way out of my league here, and only repeating figures given to me, but I remember vividly being shown the effect of corrosion on a Beaver prop by the pilot, and being told that a new prop was $27,000, with a useful life of 400 (?) hrs. Those figures may be slightly out but I remember being astonished that replacement prop costs were $65 an hour before anything else was taken into consideration. That would have been at least eight years ago now.