PDA

View Full Version : Converting Australian ATPL / FAA ATL AMEL to South African ATPL in Lanseria ?.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Nov 2005, 12:26
Hold an Australian ATPL / FAA ATL AMEL, how do I convert to a South African ATPL in Lanseria ?, what is required and who would you recommend in Lanseria ?.

3,700 TT, 2000+ mecomm, all under 5700 kg.

Thanks in advance.

Gauteng Pilot
20th Nov 2005, 08:49
Maybe Lanseria Fligth Centre can help

http://www.lfc.co.za/

LongJohnThomas
20th Nov 2005, 10:31
Why would you wanna do that?
Just a question?!
:ok:

rsull
20th Nov 2005, 18:01
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

i also hold a AU CPL and a FAA ATP. let me know what you had to do to convert once you figured it out.

thanks in advance
rsull

Jangys
21st Nov 2005, 05:15
I wanted to do the same for our foreign crew that holds ATPL's in other countries. Spare yourself the grief of trying and just get a Validation.

According to our lovely friends at SA CAA, you have to write all Comm subjects, do an odd amount of flying to satisfy their needs. When you reach the status of South African Commercial Pilot, you can then write your ATPL.

Trust me, this is a lenghy and expensive exercise.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
21st Nov 2005, 05:50
Jangys,

If i validate an ATPL, can i then fly PIC in South African registered ATPL sized aircraft ?.

Thanks

Mark J B
21st Nov 2005, 06:59
The way I understand it you can, but not in South Africa unless you have a work permit or are a SA citizen.

B200Drvr
22nd Nov 2005, 10:07
Mark is correct, With an ATP validation which is the easiest way, you can be PIC in RSA as long as you have the required work authority. You can however work on contract in other countries flying ATP size aircraft with ZS reg on that validation.
Andy

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Nov 2005, 11:27
A South African citizen who occasionally posts here has a SA validated FAA ATP. He's not permitted to fly as P1 on aircraft heavier than 5700kg in SA airspace unless it's an international positioning flight.

rsull
23rd Nov 2005, 01:25
Whats involved in getting a VAL?
Where can we find out the actual limitations on the ATPL VAL?

CoJam
25th Nov 2005, 08:01
Being new to the forum, I would like to ask a question:

Being a FAA CPL(A) 575TT(270 ME/ 200 CrossC)(Frozen ATP) what are the chances of getting a job in SA if I have a work permit and CAA validation?

It will be great if you can let me know.

Thanks guys

SAT_BOSS
25th Nov 2005, 12:15
We use many ZS aircraft & foeign crews long story short you wont get work permit unless you are the best invetion ... ie South Africa has many South Africans WITHOUT jobs that have licenses.

For a straight validation contact [email protected] They do it for us and rather quick

SAT

CoJam
25th Nov 2005, 16:45
Thanks SAT. Just wanted to know what kind of jobs are available in SA for my type of hours. If someone could indicate that to me it will be great:ok:

B200Drvr
28th Nov 2005, 18:02
Solid Rust Twotter.
Dont agree, with a validation of a foreign licence at ATP level, if you are P1 rated on that machine in the country of issue of your original ATP you are permitted to fly as P1. in South Africa (if you have the required work permit)

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Nov 2005, 05:58

I worked with this person and those were the restrictions under which he was placed. It was a few years back and things may have changed.

To summarise, his FAA ATP was validated but he had a SA comm. He could fly aircraft >5700kg as P1 on positioning flights into and out of SA but he was not allowed to operate within SA airspace, except as the holder of a SA CPL.