PDA

View Full Version : Cuff Links??

TIMTS
18th Nov 2005, 20:24
Anyone here know of a place I can get hold of a decent pair of helicopter cuff links??

Thomas coupling
18th Nov 2005, 22:30
Off the cuff - no!

You could try the rotary club though!

I'd keep cuff links at arms length if I were you!

And don't get shirty with me either:ouch:

HeliEng
19th Nov 2005, 09:10
TIMTS,

Depends what you want them of!

Every so often I have caught pairs of Apache ones on e-bay.

What about Clivedon???

TIMTS
20th Nov 2005, 16:58
Thanks guys, order placed at Clivedon

remote hook
20th Nov 2005, 18:06
Is there any limit to the cheesyness that pilots will stoop???

Why don't you just get a forehead tatoo stating "PILOT" ?

Good grief.

AR:yuk:

Flingwing207
20th Nov 2005, 20:40
Is there something wrong with being happy about what you do for a living? Most people are interested in meeting professional pilots, more so if you are a helicopter pilot. Some of us are happy to share what we like if folks ask, and hey, a cuff link or tie-clip is a pretty low-key way to invite someone in. Unfortunately, I don't own a tie, or a shirt that requires cuff links, so I guess in my case the only way to tell if I'm a pilot is if I tell you...

Whirlygig
20th Nov 2005, 21:03
Cue the old joke.....

How do you know when there's a helicopter pilot at your party?

She'll tell you!! ;)

I have lots of helicopter paraphernalia; models, a mobile (v. cool!), JetRanger ringtone (and I know I'm not the only one!). I like helicopters so why not?

Don't have a need for tie pins or cuff links though! But if I did, I'd have a heli one

Cheers

Whirls

remote hook
20th Nov 2005, 22:33
Some of us are happy to share what we like

This is why we have conversations. I ask about you, you ask about me, and on it goes... Personally, when I'm in a resturaunt across the street from the local hospital, and three guys walk in with lab coasts on and stethescopes around thier necks, well, I'm a little less likely to engage in a conversation. If you're proud of yourself, fine. Just don't wear it on your sleeve.

How do you know when there's a helicopter pilot at your party?

I guess now you can just look at thier jewelery.

Let me guess, Ray-Bans too?:8

AR

Flingwing207
20th Nov 2005, 23:32
Wearing a tie-tack isn't exactly like walking into a party in your flight suit, but whatever works for you. At least Whirls has a sense of humor (and got the joke)!

TIMTS
21st Nov 2005, 14:02
Just wondering...

Wherever I go I see people wearing t-shirts, caps, jackets..etc etc with logos on them. Be it the name of the yacht they work on, the bar they work in....the bank they go to/work in...and so on ad infinitum...

Is this cheesy to? Or is it just us pilots that can't show what we do, or that we are proud of what we are doing. Why should we always have to hide the fact that we fly for a living?? Do we need to be ashamed of what we do? Did I miss something??
My girlfriend is a student...she has a t-shirt with the schools name on it....is that cheesy...should she not wear it??

Am i allowed to walk to my car and drive to the airport wearing a flightsuit...or would you rather I dress up like a tourist, and maybe change into my flightsuit next to the helicopter..better yet..why not inside the helicopter??

remote hook
21st Nov 2005, 14:16
T,

You've obviously missed a great deal.

Yes it's cheesy, and no you don't have to be ashamed of your proffession - but broadcasting it to the world smacks of arrogance and a desparate need to fullfill your own ego. That's what I don't like.

Just do your job to the best of your ability, loose the cuff-links and please on your way from the house to the helicopter, avoid walking into coffee shops, grocery stores, dry-cleaners, gas stations etc etc. On the rare job where I have worn a flight suit, I've always changed at the pad/airport.

Besides, what's wrong with dressing like a tourist? Or don't you want to be indentified with that lowely group of people who, judging by your location, pay your salary??

AR

TIMTS
21st Nov 2005, 15:04
RH.

I don't show off that I am a pilot, I don't walk into grocery stores, gas stations, dry cleaners or coffee shops in the flightsuit.
I even take it off before I walk the dog when I come home, and often have to clean the floors as a result. (she is a puppy and not quite housetrained yet).

I do however wear it to and from work. If I don't I get trouble getting through security...the airport pass apparently has no meaning, but my police patch seems to carry some weight.

When asked what I do down here I say I work for the police. I leave out the helicopter part unless they dig more.
What I am tired of on the other hand is the attitude that I CAN'T tell anyone what I do, cause then I am nursing my ego, or I am arrogant, or desperate. So I sit there next to the doctor wearing the "Trust me I am a doctor" T-shirt and the yacht captain with his yacht t-shirt...the police officers with the St. Maarten Police t-shirts.
Why do we have to feel like stroking our egos if we wear a t-shirt with a helicopter on it....or indeed wear helicopter cuff links?

Thats all I am asking...

remote hook
21st Nov 2005, 17:31
T,

I reckon there's about 65 degrees celsius between the places you and I work, and I guess that gap applies to our outlook on this topic.

So, I figure you should enjoy your flight suit and cuff-links, and I'll wear my parka, thermal underwear, and bellaclava. (no insignia of any kind attached...)

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

RH

PS, the only way I'm identified as a pilot is by the slim profile of my wallet...:ok:

ShyTorque
21st Nov 2005, 17:57
So helicopter cuff-links shouldn't be worn by anyone with a personal interest in helicopters? Only by folks with NO personal interest in helicopters?

So by that logic, no-one should wear "Cat" or "JCB" boots or jacket if they are a digger driver. Right?

No one should wear a "car" logo-ed T shirt if they work for a car company or drive a car for a living?

No-one working for a company wears the logo of the company they work for outside work, only those that DON'T? OK ..... :rolleyes:

Some have a strange logic - but it's a free country - so wear whatever you like and be absolutely free - to look like a complete prat if you wish - it's your choice. :ok:

P.s. I don't wear anything with a logo except "Notata University" on my t-shirt.

R22DRIVER
22nd Nov 2005, 09:19
As a young and low experianced pilot i eat, sleep and breathe helicopters.

I too have cuff links and a tie pin of my wings which i received when i passed my PPLH. To my getting my wings pin was one of the proudest days of my life!

Pilots and their families who have had to climb the ladder and fund it ALL themselves know how much of an achievement it is to get there.

If i see someone wearing some kind of helicopter jewelery at a party etc, im going to go and speak to them! After all the more people i talk to, the more experiance and knowledge i can gain! And Safer and better pilot i will hopefully become!!

Its a pity some of you guys have lost your pride in showing people just what you have achieved.

As for me im proud, im not afraid to show it and i love giving the small amount of knowledge i have to anyone interested enough to ask me!

Wear your jewelery with PRIDE!!!

R22

Impress to inflate
22nd Nov 2005, 13:38
There's no were to wear cuff links on my goon suit

:sad:

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2005, 13:43
I reckon some people are just jealous that somebody else has been invited somewhere posh enough that they have to wear a suit.

G

:p

remote hook
22nd Nov 2005, 14:00
KMS,

I have a life, thanks very much for caring though. My life however, extends beyond my career choice... I have plenty of other things to be proud of and discuss with people before getting into my job.

R22,

Its a pity some of you guys have lost your pride in showing people just what you have achieved.

You want to see pride?? Come to work with me(or any of my co-workers for that mater) for a windy day on a 130ft long-line in the mountians, or maybe filming a movie, or perhaps some night IFR in ****ty wx. I choose to show my pride in the efficiency, safety, and proffessionalism with which I do my job. What exactly are you trying to show people by wearing the giant watch with fifty time-zones on it, or the much debated cufflinks?

No "bloody cufflinks" required thank you very much. Face it folks, it's cheesy and juvinile, get over yourselves for Christsakes.

That's it for me on this one. You can all get your license number tatood on your hip, seen that one before...:yuk:

Whirlygig
22nd Nov 2005, 14:19
You can all get your license number tatood on your hip, seen that one before
Hey thanks remote hook, for that idea. Why didn't I think of that? In fact, with hips the size of mine, I'd have enough room to have a S-76 tattooed there as well!

Cheers

Whirls

R22DRIVER
22nd Nov 2005, 14:53
REMOTE HOOK,

I can only dream of doing those things! Yes i would love to come and join you and experiance all the good and the bad! Just tell me when and where and i have no problem with you teaching me on how to fly those conditions. I have never flown anything like that and any chance offered, i will grab with both hands!

You should be proud in everything you do! My jewelery is just one of my ways!

Waiting for the flying offer,

R22.

remote hook
22nd Nov 2005, 15:33
R22,

It'll come. Just stick with it.

I'm flying with a guy right now who has about 15,000hrs doing everything and anything you can think of in a helicopter, looks like a poverty stricken farmer, makes me feel like you do reading my post! All I can say is work hard, learn as much as you can, be as safe as possible, and you(we) will get where we want to go.

I think we are all proud of what we do, most not all, of us aspire to more, and that's a good thing. Keeps you going. But the best oldtimers I've worked with over the years are the ones who have that quiet confidence and don't "advertise." If someone has to tell you how good they are, chances are, they're not. How do you think it would look if I were sitting beside this guy with a big giant watch, Ray-Bans, a coffee mug with "Long-line Pilot" written on it, and the dreaded cufflinks?? Pretty bad huh?

You may look at many on this board and think "boy that guy has some great experience." I look at others all the time and think exactly the same thing! You never know who you're talking to, so I prefer to be low key until the correct opportunity presents itself to discuss my job and experiences.

Nothing looks worse than fishing for attention. If you deserve it, the attention will find you. Humillity will serve you well in the long run.

So much for me not saying anything else....

RH;)

Gerhardt
22nd Nov 2005, 19:24
"My girlfriend is a student...she has a t-shirt with the schools name on it....is that cheesy...should she not wear it?? "

NO, SHE SHOULD NOT! Tell her to take it off, and NOW! I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we'll need verification via photograph when this has been done.

J.A.F.O.
23rd Nov 2005, 01:07
Come on guys.

Everyone's different. I know pilots with thousands of hours who are badged up beyond belief and those with a hundred who have a Tesco Nav bag - and vice versa.

Why?

Because they're different people with differing views.

Chill out, accept it and move on.

I think that we should also accept that Gerhardt is right in this matter.