PDA

View Full Version : Heli pad /strip

cholmondeley
18th Nov 2005, 14:24
I have been using my own paddock for landing fixed-wing and heli for about six years(about four/five times a week). I have no planning etc. but have had no complaints at all from the(very few) neighbours and I intend to keep it that way. However is there a time that I can "come out" and claim grandfather rights?

blade771
18th Nov 2005, 15:18
From memory, I think it is ten years - could be entirely wrong. You are correct that there is a time when the planners would grant grand father rights. There is also a maximum number of movements allowed at each site before planning permission is required again I cannot remember what this is but its quite low.

Whirlygig
18th Nov 2005, 15:25
I think it's 28 movements per annum i.e. about 2 per month.

I don't know whether there is anything specific relating to landing strips etc but as far as general "rights of way" and "access rights" go, it's 20 years as I have just had a similar issue with a house I'm going to buy and a right of way over shared land!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Whirls

heli1
18th Nov 2005, 15:48
The safe answer to your question is 10 years of continuous use,so try not to have a big gap at any time and never tell the authorities more than you have to! All you need is a few witnesses to back you up.The onus is on them to prove you wrong.
However you may also qualify for ancillary use if you are challenged in the meantime,especially if it is your own aircraft and being operated for your own personal/business use from within your own curtillage....Best advice is though say nothing until you are challenged..the longer you operate the stronger your case.

muffin
18th Nov 2005, 15:50
After 10 years you can apply for a "certificate of lawful use". If you look on the GAAC web site at http://www.gaac.co.uk/ there is a useful explanation.

28 days per year is what you are using now - just like me.