PDA

View Full Version : Nav/WSO: your experience sought

Fanois
17th Nov 2005, 21:53
Good Day

I've been offered a place at Cranditz as a navigator (sorry, WSO). It was my second choice, but not just because i felt that i should put one down... I've always wanted to join the Air Force. Having been on a UAS i feel well informed on the role of a pilot, but have had little contact with Navs.

Could anyone currently serving/training as a nav, or who's had experience shed some light on the job beyond the fact that it involves 'map reading'? How does it compare, for example, with the role of an Observer in the RN?

I fearfully don my nav-banter-deflecting helmet and await any serious answers with anticipation.

thanks for your time

Fanois

Unmissable
17th Nov 2005, 22:39
Firstly
The reason they changed the name from Nav to WSO is because the role of the back seater (or crew member) nowadays is very remote from map reader. In the same way that pilots have had a black box auto pilot for years, the navigation is also done by a black box.

Secondly

Any WSO job will be at a desk but in the sky. You will press lots of buttons, do lots of assessment, make lots of decisions and actually make the aircraft perform its military role (as opposed to driving it).

Finally

As with any aircrew role, you will (probably) eventually end up in ground appointments advising on and creating policy etc etc. Once in these appointments your role experience counts for far more than the number of wings on your brevet. Furthermore with all the pilots jumping ship, if you really wanted to climb the promotion ladder, then ther will probably be no limit to your ceiling.

ProfessionalStudent
18th Nov 2005, 07:51
Fanois

IMHO, being a nav in the back of a GR4 is one of the best jobs in the RAF, and if you're good enough, there's a reasonable chance that's where you'll end up. In the FJ world, you have as much chance of commanding a sqn as anyone else (can't speak for AT) so the career ops are there too.

I never wanted to be a nav but ended up that way and never regretted a moment. An offer from the RAF at the mo is quite a rare thing, so take it and capitalise on it. Chances are you'll get the chance to change brevets at some point in your career (though don't expect them to change their minds during IOT etc, as has been discussed in other threads, and don't believe anyone who says that will happen - IT WON'T!).

Good luck and keep us informed of your decision.:ok:

abbotyobs
18th Nov 2005, 08:08
I had a similar decision to make a few years back. What you need to ask yourself is, if you turn the offer down will you regret the decision in later life. Will you wonder what it would have been like to sit in a GR4 for example tearing down the Glens of Scotland.
If so, then the decison is made for you.
Good luck:D

Griz
18th Nov 2005, 08:10
Unmissable is right.

Without a back seater the GR4 is just a noisy way of converting paraffin to CO2/H2O.

It could be 2 pilots I suppose but most are either too frightened or don't trust each other and refuse to go in a cockpit without a stick. :=

radish
19th Nov 2005, 11:12
After 22 years and 7,000 hrs on 3 operational types I have not regretted a single day; nor will you if you have a "work hard, play hard" attitude.

frodo_monkey
19th Nov 2005, 12:01
I can only echo previous sentiments...

As a 1st tourist backseater on the F3 I can tell you its a cracking job, and you'll get to do a whole load of fun & challenging things whilst snotting along at 600kts or Mach 1.whatever!

And I definitely agree with the 'work hard, play hard' idea!

If you want any other advice PM me.

Frodo

scottyhs
19th Nov 2005, 15:57
My uncle is a WSO at 617 sqn, and after seeing his job i wouldnt say no. i mean yes id love to fly its something i have great ethusiasm for but the job of a WSO is now so in depth that i have used it as my 2nd branch choice and i think it forms a really good career! Good luck

buoy15
19th Nov 2005, 17:38
Fanois

Put simply, if you are a WSO, you cannot aspire to be CAS

The Twin Winged Master Race have been pushing this for years and it has come to fruition

However, if you choose to be aircrew with a "spine", rather than "spineless", and fly for the rest of your life, you might move up the ladder - Ha!

Best of luck in a system which has the full support of General Sir Micheal Jackson and Tony Bliar

Fanois
16th Dec 2005, 11:25
Thanks for your time folks, much appreciated.