PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter down in Akon Southern Sudan

Douglas Lee
17th Nov 2005, 20:15
Does anybody have any info, about a Twin Otter incident/accident in Akon, Sudan earlier this week?

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Nov 2005, 05:57
How could they damage an Otter there? The Russians were putting AN72s in there so length is not a factor. Could be a collision with a pedestrian, goat or cow as there is no control of these creatures in the Sudan. Even NGO vehicles are driven across the runways willy-nilly without checking for approaching aircraft. Parked aircraft are also at risk from the drivers and their vehicles.

Safety meetings required of crews by a large international organisation are a waste of time as recommendations made are largely ignored unless it's something they can be nailed for, in which case they go to great lengths to cover their arses while not improving safety one iota. The only reason that there aren't more accidents in the Sudan is the professionalism of the crews in the field who operate above and beyond what their duties require, despite that large international organisation.:ok:

boyracer
18th Nov 2005, 07:57
Solid R T

If you really think that accidents dont happen to VERY expirenced crew you in for a really BIG surprise mate.

Douglas Lee
18th Nov 2005, 08:32
Apparently landed short of the runway, ripped the r/h gear out, so it is possible, wonder what the weather conditions were like?

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Nov 2005, 09:13
Boyracer, I understand perfectly that accidents can happen to anyone but having worked in the area, I'm trying to figure out what COULD have happened, rather than the old standby of pilot error, hence the reference to the professionalism of crews being largely responsible for lack of serious accidents..

However, after reading DL's post, I wonder if that is perhaps what happened here. Second guessing the crew is never a productive excercise, so I guess waiting for the accident report may be the best plan.

D Lee

All ops are meant to be day VFR...:rolleyes: Unfortunately the lack of met info and the nature of the work sometimes conspire to throw in the odd curve ball.:(

Edited to ask if anyone knows whose aircraft it is?

Bow Wow
18th Nov 2005, 12:42
The twotter in question is operated by Solenta and Reg was ZS-NJK, previously operated by Rossair. According to reports it would appear they ripped the R/H gear off, damaged the Nose Gear and then proceeded to damage the R/H outer portion of the wing on the landing. This is going to be an interesting recovery.

Rudeman
18th Nov 2005, 12:47
The aircraft belongs to a private owner and was leased and operated by Solenta Aviation out of Rumbek Sudan.

The following report was made to SACAA the day of the accident:

ZS-NJK
DHC-6 Twin Otter
Date & time of accident: 14 November 2005 @ +- 11h20Z
Location of accident: Akon, Southern Sudan (+-160NM NW of Rumbek)
Brief description: R/H main gear struck a small brick wall during the flare to land.
POB: 2 crew, 5 pax
No injuries to crew or pax
PIC: XXXXXXX
P2 XXXXXXX
Damage to aircraft: Full extend not known, initial reports indicate damage to R/H main gear and R/H wingtip

We are in the process of recovering the aircraft which will on repair be send back into action in Sudan in due time.

I think that anyone that operated in Sudan before will understand the extreme conditions the crew and aircraft face on a daily basis. The company launched a full accident investigation along with the insurers.

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Nov 2005, 13:57
Thanks guys. Glad to hear no injuries.:ok:

Shrike200
19th Nov 2005, 03:26
Very glad to hear about the no injuries bit, especially since they are friends of mine. Operated in that area myself, and I am fully aware of the problems facing them.

I REPEAT - If you want to operate aircraft into South Sudan, you WILL have incidents, and eventual accidents. It is inevitable. I'm not going to say 'I told you so', but...........

Renaissance
19th Nov 2005, 14:03
Another ZS aircraft trying to land short????? Maybe....

I don't recall any brick walls on approach at Akon, but then again its been a number of years since I've been there. There was a structure and some trees near the threshold of the northerly runway.....

Length of that strip couldn't be a issue....

A shame though. Its a good thing no one was hurt

MysticFlyer
19th Nov 2005, 14:22
Renaissance Man,

A kikuyu speaking chappie with an FAA licence back in Africa with an Amercan passport, deciding to drop his 2cents worth on this incident involving a ZS a/c incident.

Did you not once work for SAA with either a licence thingy or a coke thingy ruining your visits to the Cayman islands to the ex-miss?

Nothing really much of a renaissance here then? Let us know where you're now, man, in Kenya if it is you!:ooh:

MF

Renaissance
19th Nov 2005, 14:36
Hi MF,

I am on this side of the moon too. I don't speak kikuyu, and I have never worked for SAA. I do have people in the Cayman islands, but have no idea what your coke thing is about.....

As for Akon, I think we can all agree length was not an issue for a twin otter. I 'm glad no one was injured in the incident. I just hope it wasn't another botched attempt of a short field landing by a ZS airplane. I have flown there, and know the temptation to land shorter and shorter....

My 2 cents worth.....

Douglas Lee
21st Nov 2005, 06:18
Rudeman, wish you all the best with the recovery. Great to hear there were no injuries.

DL