PDA

View Full Version : Intersection 'nelsa'

ex_matelot
17th Nov 2005, 19:14
Where I originally hail from,the town of Nelson oop north I always remember as a child noticing the jets travelling in the same direction at high alt.

Obviously now I know they were following airlanes and I know intersection nelsa is just above the town.

Could anybody offer any info on the possible destinations of these high alt (contrails etc) aircraft?

I realise there could be a thousand and one possibilities but my grandad always said 'America'!

Thanks.

captain cumulonimbus
17th Nov 2005, 20:34
if they were headed north then chances are ery very strong that they were on their way transatlantic.I haven't got my Jepp charts with me but i'd say your venerable old granddad may well have been spot on.

Take it easy!
Cb

ex_matelot
17th Nov 2005, 20:55
Cheers capt!

As I recall they only everseem to pass 180 degs direction of one another,presumably N,S.

BOAC
17th Nov 2005, 22:02
RP 'Nelsa' is on the track of airway UB4 (courtesy of Nick Lock's 'Reporting Points web site which has now moved servers to here (http://www.reportingpoints.info/), incidentally), so the traffic could be to the US/Canada, Iceland, or just to Scotland.

PS How's the moustache...?:D

ex_matelot
18th Nov 2005, 10:11
PS How's the moustache.....

Am still deliberating on which style to cultivate!!!:O

Conan the Librarian
21st Nov 2005, 20:12
Nelson - (shiver) where I met my very own Trafalgar... The Ex was from there and what a delightful memory I have of the place. I think Nelsa is somewhere over over Barrowford, isn't it?

I was up there two years ago with an hour to waste and remember seeing contrails from all points converging presumably towards Pole hill. Looked like the Red Arrows were working up for next season at FL 350.

I have always wondered exactly where Nelsa was in ground terms... if a local can tell me, then I shall be a happy chappy.

Conan

Nordams
21st Nov 2005, 20:17
Nelsa = Nelson

Small town just to the east of Burnley

beerdrinker
21st Nov 2005, 20:31
One of the best 5 letter waypoints was GAFFA right in the middle of the GAFA (Great Australian F*ck All). Unfortunately somebody in the OZ bureaucracy decided that it was not PC and it was changed.

BOAC
21st Nov 2005, 20:34
Conan - once again for your benefit -

"web site which has now moved servers to here"

be happy

ex_matelot
23rd Nov 2005, 00:04
I am from Nelson originally and can remember the crossing flightpaths always seemed to occur (from my viewing point of view) to be roughly over the village of Higham.

Conan, are you referring to the trafalgar pub by any chance?? The 'Traff'?

Conan the Librarian
24th Nov 2005, 19:46
Not one of my favourite places I am afraid, Ex Matelot, but there again, nor is Stoke On Trent, where I was hatched and raised. There may well be some latent prejudice to be honest! The Ex used to live close to a pub called the General Gordon, if that rings any bells and there was a poky little club not too far from Morrisons and the mosque (Goodnight club maybe?)

The bit I enjoyed, was getting out up to Skipton, Pendle Hill or the Lake District. Failing that, the M65 outbound was another joybringer :-)

ex_matelot
24th Nov 2005, 21:58
My mother lives just down the road from 'the Gordon'.

If you ever used to be a regular there then you will surely know my dad!

Conan the Librarian
24th Nov 2005, 23:20
Hibson road, eh? I don't think I will sleep tonight.... :-)

Conan

ex_matelot
25th Nov 2005, 00:49
Just off there..opposite 't trop!