PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writer Won't Read It's Own Discs!

acbus1
17th Nov 2005, 16:28
Just bought a Samsung DVD writer....external. Nero software came with it.

Using Win ME, which is listed as OK for the drive.

Ran it as a muiltisession disc (otherwise, how else do I add data later?). Recorded two separate recording sessions (of data....that's all I need to record.....data.)

(Using drag & drop means I have to uninstall my CD writing software (the Nero pops up such a message. I don't want to lose that software, though.)

The Samsung DVD writer won't read any of the stuff I've written with it!

In Windows Explorer, it shows the disc as completely empty!

Also......

My PC's internal DVD (reader) sees only the first session, not the second.

At least it sees something! :rolleyes:

Can anyone help, please......I need to write to DVD in (for example) a few dozen separate sessions until it's full. I need to read any of the data copied to the disc, at any time.

spannersatcx
17th Nov 2005, 19:02
you have to close each session, this writes a lead out and lead in for the next session. If you haven't closed the session it won't be able to read the data.

it may be that you recorded the disc in CD-ROM (Mode 1) format, while your multisession CD-ROM drive only recognizes CD-ROM XA (Mode 2) multisession discs.

acbus1
17th Nov 2005, 20:03
I've run the Nero software again on a new blank DVD+R disc and unfortunately I'm not given the option to close the session. I've run two burning sessions, as before. The disc shows as having two sessions on it, which is correct. But it won't show me the contents of the second session, only the first, which it displays just fine (files all display just fine.)

All I'm allowed to select is a tick box against "Allow files to be added later (multisession disc)" before burning.

I've been ticking that.

Then it just allows a "Burn" button press (apart from some irrelevant other buttons) and off it goes on a burn.

Then thats it!

I'm sure I'm specifying DVD media and that the drive I'm selecting is correct.

The drive supports writing to all DVD disc types.

As an added simplification, I've firstly removed all the other manufacturers software which does burning (Roxio, in this case).

maxell
17th Nov 2005, 22:07
Not sure but I have a feeling that you need at least windows XP to read a multisession dvd and then sometimes it will only see the last session
Try the DVD in a windows xp computer see if it reads it

acbus1
18th Nov 2005, 17:05
maxell, you're spot on! :ok:

Haven't got access to XP, but a friend has just confirmed what you say.

Oh :mad:

:( :{

What a Mickey Mouse mess.....good old Microsoft/Philips/anyone else involved. How useless is a disc of 4.7GB capacity which only allows access to one session? How many 4.7GB sessions do they think we do?

CD and DVD technology/compatibility/reliability/standardisation is rubbish.

My television DVD recorder has also just refused to recognise a new box of Philips DVD+R discs. Here's me thinking I'd pay a bit more for some quality discs........ah well.....back to the good old cheapo Tesco discs. They probably self destruct in (cue "Mission Impossible " music) two years. :rolleyes:

spannersatcx
18th Nov 2005, 18:01
Why not just use DVD-RW's saves messing about wasting discs.

Hew Jaz
18th Nov 2005, 18:12
Why not just use DVD-RW's saves messing about wasting discs.

Instead of +RW or, simply because they are rewritable?

Just curious - I recently bought a DL DVD burner and bundle of +RW discs (not the DL), but am having some problems. I'm not sure if its me - quite possible - but it was also suggested that maybe some of the bundle are suspect.

Now I'm wondering in hindsight if I should have bought -RW. Vague recollection of hearing that they were the original format, and therefore supposedly a better system.

Hew Jaz
27th Nov 2005, 13:12
It was the disks. Seemed to be the OPTODISC's mentioned on other threads. Not to be recommended I gather.

All not lost though - managed to persuade store that at least some were faulty and was able to exchange them for a better 'branded' bundle.

Have used quite a few, and so far, seem to be ok.