PDA

View Full Version : ATC - is it a good first step?

roundthebend
17th Nov 2005, 12:54
Hi all, hope this is the right forum

I am considering the "life changing" option of trying to become a professional pilot. For various reasons (mainly financial) it isn't so easy for me to jump into training right now.

I am considering the option of becoming an ATCO as a potential route into the cockpit, but also because I have a general interest in aviation. I think that the financial rewards of this career are good also, so if I can't pursue my ambition of being a pilot then I would still be earning a living in the aviation industry.

I was after some opinions on whether this is a sensible thought? Will ATC experience help me in my primary ambition?

EGBKFLYER
17th Nov 2005, 15:51
I'm not sure if it will give you any advantage directly but it may do indirectly...

I began by working air/ ground radio at the local airfield. You only need an PPL R/T licence, after which the CAA will give you a ground operator's certificate. PM me if you need details of where to train for the RT licence as I live in the Peterborough area (roughly).

The next option is to become a Flight Information Service Officer (FISO). You will need to take some exams (how many depends on whether you have a PPL or not) and then train 'on the job' at a FISO airfield (your nearest would be Sywell or Wellesbourne).

After that, you could go to full ATCO, but that's a lot of training for no definite advantage if you want to fly.

I love FISO and A/G work - I appreciate the ground station's workload a lot more, my R/T is better and I have learnt a lot about Customs, Flight Plans, emergencies, airfield regulations etc etc, which makes me a better pilot. Though the experience hasn't got me a flying job (yet!), it's improving some of the skills I may need when I get one.

Best of luck.

PS Don't do FISO or A/G for the money as it's not great!

roundthebend
17th Nov 2005, 20:10
Thanks, some ideas that I was unaware of there. I'll PM you about the PPL R/T.

paulriggers
22nd Nov 2005, 14:45
Selection for ATC is highly competitive and you will be competing against people who want to do this as a 1st choice career, pass rates from application to a place on a training course are around 3% and even then I doubt a half hearted approach would get you through the training. May sound good in theory but not sure it would work in practice!