PDA

View Full Version : Camera cards.

got caught
17th Nov 2005, 10:27
Forgive my naevity.

I've just bought a digital camera, and I need an SD memory card.

It looks like there are various makes and models of cards on the market, at differing prices.

Is price/make related to quality/reliability?

longarm
17th Nov 2005, 11:23
Similar query from me. Sorry to hijack your thread.

My digicam takes both SD or MMC type cards. Can anyone explain what the differences are and which perform better

WeatherJinx
17th Nov 2005, 13:02
It's not naivety to ask if you're stuck.. perfectly wise in fact ;)

Not really a question of any one being 'better' as such - think of each type as a solid state 'hard-disk'. MMC and SD cards are exactly the same, except that SD (Secure Digital, the newer version of MMC) has a copyright protection/encryption feature and a faster data transfer rate. I use a 128mb MMC (a free gift donated by a friend!) on my Pentax *ist DS and find it perfectly adequate for my requirements.

All 'Flash Memory' is pretty much a commodity these days and you're probably just as safe going for a generic 'no-name' brand as anything fancier, but some people might feel more comfortable with a big name like Sandisk or Kingston behind them, I guess.

Best place for buying is online. High-St. retailers tend to put on a shocking markup, preying on user ignorance. eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/) offers some great prices.

got caught
17th Nov 2005, 13:36
Weathe J, thanks for the info.

Off now to take some photo's in this fantastic frosty weather !