PDA

View Full Version : HAI's “Salute to Excellence Awards”

Hidden Agenda
17th Nov 2005, 04:05
I see that the recipients of the “Salute to Excellence Awards” have been announced. I would like to offer my congratulations to those recognised by the Helicopter Association International for their outstanding service.

Once again the HAI has only made awards to those based in North America. It may well be just a reflection on the dominance of the North American market, or an indication that the international members are not active enough to nominate worthy candidates or perhaps it could be just further evidence that the “I” in HAI is invisible.

I find it hard to understand that the judges assessed the work done in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina as demonstrating the value of civil rotorcraft to society (by saving lives, protecting property, and aiding those in distress) as of greater value than the work done by civil rotorcraft in the aftermath of the Asian Tsunami. I therefore feel that the HAI is perhaps playing to the “home crowd” in awarding ‘The Igor Sikorsky Award for Humanitarian Service’.

NickLappos
17th Nov 2005, 11:47
Hidden,
You are right, but the real devil is the need to chose "best" when faced with two overwhelming desasters, one admittedly of massively greater proportion.

I recall George C. Scott refusing to accept his Oscar because he said acting was not a competition. I think that lifesaving is not, either, and the award should somehow have reflected that (multiple awards are often gven in such cases).

Thomas coupling
17th Nov 2005, 11:50
Probably the biggest collection of obsequious sycophants in the aviation world. Sad bunch. :uhoh:

SHortshaft
25th Nov 2005, 03:14
In whose trophy cabinet will the ‘The Igor Sikorsky Award for Humanitarian Service’ be displayed?

Anybody got any idea who will accept the award, or perhaps who should accept the award, at the presentation?

I guess Del Smith will probably have his hand up already.

SHortshaft
2nd Dec 2005, 02:10
From RotorGram: "HAI is honored to announce the recipients of the 2005 Igor I. Sikorsky Award for Humanitarian Service will be all companies, organizations, and individuals who took part in the relief efforts following Hurricane Katrina.

The “Salute to Excellence” awards banquet will take place on February 27, 2006, during HELI-EXPO 2006, at the Wyndham Anatole Hotel, in Dallas, Texas."

Well that’s one way to get more people to attend a rather tedious dinner!!

Thomas coupling
2nd Dec 2005, 08:23
Have a look at their awards list - it's a joke!