PDA

View Full Version : SIA Cargo??

rwelch
17th Nov 2005, 02:48
Has anyone interviewed with SIA cargo recently, DE FO?
Looking for information on the interview process.
I have read some older posts but am looking for the most current information.

Thanks
rwelch

rwelch
27th Nov 2005, 01:58
Bump!!! Anyone with any insight???

Thanks

samuelcam
13th Dec 2005, 21:55
I am scheduled for an interview for B744 commander.

Me too.I would appreciate some responce about the interview.

Sam

sgt_pepper
13th Dec 2005, 22:23
Hi sam
check your pm

max767
14th Dec 2005, 08:05
Just go there with all the paper they ask you to bring, and you're in.

Just small talk with 2 chiefpilots, no tech questions, no CRM questions, they just want to see if you understand what this contract means, as FO : no upgrade possibility and if you want to leave earlier then 5 years and 6 month + time of training it's going to cost a lot of money to you...

Then you go in the sim, I had the B777 : TO with flightdirector, A/T ON straight ahead, then turn to the left FD OFF and do 360 left and right 45degr BA. then radar vector Back ILS with FD and land. All that with a nice retired instructor next to you who will help you to a maximum. It's more an entertainment sim then an evaluation...

And then they say that you can go for your medic... and after that it's finished.

Very easy interview...

The most important thing is the paperwork, you must have all the papers they ask otherwise you're out in 5 min.

Also be aware that if they give you a job offer, they will ask a reference letter from your current employer. If you already know that you can't get one don't go because they won't hire you anyway.

Be also aware that the contract looks better on internet then in reality :

You're going to be bonded for almost 6 years for 67000€

They say you will make 5700 Sdoll allowance but then they say at your interview that you will only fly 30 hrs a month, so you will never make 5700 sdoll

Schedules goes from 2 days away to 16 days away. But they have 2 kinds of contracts flying the 747 cargo, the cargo and the mainline contract pilots. they first do the rosters of the pilots with the mainline contract (they will get the nice flights 2-3 days away)
And then they do the cargo pilots schedules, with all the ****, being away for 16 days, a lot STBY, a lot positioning for which you are not paid...

And for 16 days away you are only entitled 6 poor days off. So if you take your wife and kids with you, you will only see them for a couple of days a month. Unless she is screwing her tennis teacher there, she won't stay long.

And finally for expats, they don't give you a good deal for ID tickets. You only get ID75% tickets on the highest econ price they have = very expensive

Good luck!!!!

ps: I went there a couple of months ago, but I didn't take the job for the reasons mentioned above.

BANANASBANANAS
14th Dec 2005, 08:39
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions I guess. I have been with SIA Cargo a few months now and a friend of mine who is in LHS on 744 Cargo earned just shy of Sin$7000 in allowances last month. He seems to think that it was perhaps slightly more than average, but only a little.

My roster has already been published for Jan 2006 and it shows 10 days OFF in SIN and a fair amount of home Standby. I also have a very nice long haul to look forward to.

I am very happy and the bond is only an issue if you are not sure if you are going to hang around. My future is in SE Asia so its not an issue for me.

BlueEagle
14th Dec 2005, 10:56
max767 - your version of the rostering system is simply not true, there is no discrimination between Main Line flying Cargo and Cargo flying cargo. Won't enter into an argument over your other claims, Bananasbananas has already answered some of those.
Right now SIA, as a DEC, is probably one of the best jobs going.

max767
14th Dec 2005, 13:20
Yes, but I didn't mean as a DEC, but as an expat First Officer.

In MY OPINION it's a good company to enter as DEC but not as Expat FO and I already mentioned it before why, mainly because there is no upgrade policy.

And about rostering, it's true that this is my vision. I'm not happy if I'm awayaway for 20 days a month from my family, but that of course is personal.

You know this site is all about opinions...

samuelcam
15th Dec 2005, 00:02
Thank you all !!

That is quite helpful.
The post I am looking for is DEC .I need conversion ( not 744 type rated)
Thank you for what you have given me so far.
More info,if any, is very much appreciated.

Hopeful Sam

BANANASBANANAS
15th Dec 2005, 06:16
No offence Max. As you say, its all about opinions. I am a little curious though as to why you looked at a 747 position when you say that you don't like long haul or being away from the family for up to 16 days at a go. Apart from Japan (where I believe 747 are used on high density domestic routes) I can't think of any 744 position that would satisfy your criteria.

The plus side of being away for extended periods is that you get quality time off at home base on your return. It works for me and I see an awful lot of happy smiling faces when I go to work.

kk pilot
15th Dec 2005, 15:03
Blue Eagle did you receive my pm?

kk

(for some reason, I don't show that it was sent - no excess msgs either)

BlueEagle
15th Dec 2005, 22:41
Yes KK and answered about ten minutes ago.

kk pilot
16th Dec 2005, 00:46
Many thanks B.E. - I'll go with the seasonal leave theory.....

kk

hamil
17th Dec 2005, 14:25
...I see an awful lot of happy smiling faces when I go to work
... your wife doesn`t play tennis, does she?:p

BANANASBANANAS
17th Dec 2005, 16:39
Thanks for the chuckle Hamil.

No, Mrs Bananas is totally trustworthy and she keeps a blunt parang handy (instant "Bobit" maker) just in case anyone fancies their chances.

Whats your wife up to at the moment??
:p

A321Driver
17th Dec 2005, 16:47
No worries! Say hello to your wife....and MY kids :}

hamil
18th Dec 2005, 12:39
Hi folks,
Sorry Banana but I couldn’t miss the joke based on previous post. As I can see you have a good sense of humor as well...
Returning to the topic, I was invited for an interview but am waiting for a confirmation. Can Banana, Blue Eagle or any mate in Singapore tell me how long prior to the interview day they usually give all details concerning tickets to SIN and hotel reservation?
In average how many pilots have they called to go for an interview on the same day and how the pass rate has been lately?
Does anyone have any idea how many DEC they need to complete the staff?
By the way, I’m a tennis teacher during my days off …:E