PDA

View Full Version : 42 year old wannabe

markhooper
16th Nov 2005, 23:34
Hi all

What is the airlines attitude to age regarding hiring FO's?
I am 42 and am about to start my ATPL theory course by distance learning. I have an FAA CPL/IR and plan on converting to JAR CPL/IR as soon as I can. If I also do a MCC I will end up with a little over 500hrs TT.

What are my prospects? Need more hours? Good? Age doesn't matter? Maturity a good thing? No chance?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

veetwo
17th Nov 2005, 00:44
Forgive me for saying so, but you are so far down the line now that does it really matter what anyone on Pprune says? You have your FAA CPL/IR... soon to convert, and whatever anyone says on here is irrelevent... its the airlines who matter, so it is them you should be asking ;)

Its a bit late for doubts!

Very best of luck to you...

V2

FlayinSpanner
17th Nov 2005, 04:09
Totally agree!!

I would imagine your hours being the biggest seller, except against another potential Fo your age who might have a couple of zeros after those hours. What sort of background?

Remember though, whilst nobody is going to openly discriminate on age, they will. At both ends of spectrum. Snotty nosed know it all pilot vs mature FO with incontinence pants.

At 42 your gonna be on middle salary increment by retirement. No chance of command in that space of time I would have thought.

Best of :ok: to you though....

Megaton
17th Nov 2005, 07:25
Command time with a regional TP operator could be as short as 18 months to 2 years so there would be every chance of a command. You'd be unlikely to join a major but there are plenty of good jobs for decent applicants at the moment.

RYR-738-JOCKEY
17th Nov 2005, 15:31
Ditto! Decades ago, you would not get command in such a time frame, but nowadays you can easily acquire 3000 hours in just over three years, which is a typical limit for most operators, depending on demand.
So you still have good chances of command.

rfresh
17th Nov 2005, 16:39
You need to check with each airline you have an interest in working for to see what their hiring age limits are, if any.