PDA

View Full Version : BBC's "The Pilots"

Dr Esteban
16th Nov 2005, 20:13
Ladies and Gents,

I am desperately trying to find a documentary named "The Pilots". It's a BBC documentary made in the 60s and it has been on television a couple of times after it's initial broadcast (1963?).

I have tried a dozen of different ways of getting it. Including contacting the BBC, unfortunately without succes...

I would be extremely grateful on any advice/info on how to get a copy.

Adios!

Brakes to Park
16th Nov 2005, 20:22
Is this any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Pilots-by-James-Spencer-2003_W0QQitemZ8353244852QQcategoryZ377QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

747-436
16th Nov 2005, 21:19
There was also if memory serves me correctly a doc on BBC in the late 80's early 90's where they were in the cockpit on a (BA??) 747 classic out of LHR or somwhere heading to the far east. Was quite good!

Dr Esteban
16th Nov 2005, 22:33
Hello again,

Thank you both for your quick reply!
The documentary follows a BOAC crew on one of their trips, somewhere in the mid 60s.

Brakes, I had a look at the link you gave me. But that is a documentary about WWII pilots. Thank you for your effort anyway!

Any more info welcome!

Thanks

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Nov 2005, 16:57
"The Pilots" 1963, director Richard Cawston, who previously made the documentary "Royal Family." Black and white, of course.

Central theme was a BOAC Boeing 707-436 Far-East flight following the crew from their report at Heathrow to their slip in Beirut. Capt E E Rodley and first officer Brian Walpole (yes, later of Concorde) featured. Also a slightly tense sim session in a BEA Vanguard!

Searching Google under Richard Cawston seems to come up with awards ceremonies - I think he got one for "Royal Family."

Have you tried the BA Press Office?

Dr Esteban
17th Nov 2005, 17:47
George,

Thank you very much, that is very useful information. I will give the BA press office a try, they might be able to help out.

Thank you once again. I will be back, hopefully with good news!

Cheerio

PS must have been a bit more ancient type of aircraft though!

carbheatcold
18th Nov 2005, 07:36
They did a documentary called 'Diamonds in the Sky' or something like that, just can't remember what it contained!
Also remember seeing a program showing an ANZ 747 Clasic going into somewhere small - can't remember why or where though.

Georgeablelovehowindia
18th Nov 2005, 09:45
"Diamonds in the Sky" was much later. Sometime in the 1980s, in colour, and fronted by Julian Pettifer, the then 'glamour boy' of the BBC. He seems to have vanished without trace since.

"The Pilots" also featured interviews with luminaries of the period such as 'Mickey' Miles the BOAC 707 fleet manager. He started off life as a barrister - so not much chance, stood in front of him on a disciplinary, then! Captain Priest of BEA was shown sweeping the leaves off his lawn and making sardonic comments about the state of the gardens of the BOAC pilots, because they were always away. The previously mentioned Vanguard sim session was, I'm fairly sure, being conducted by captain Ron Gillman. Now he was also a big 'wheel' in either BALPA or GAPAN, and it occurs that these two organisations might also be of help.

holyflyer
18th Nov 2005, 10:27
I would try the BBC again. This is from BBC archives : (just don't ask how I know)

THE PILOTS
Programme number: LDC5834F Date: 05/03/1963

View holdings | View credits and references | Abbreviations guides

Category LONPROG Catalogue number 1746382
Medium FILM Programme/Item PROG
Duration 1:09:20

Film about the job of flying one of the giant jets that cruise just below the speed of sound - a Boeing 707, on flight 900, bound for Beirut & Far East.

> sps film Pilots of 3 British airlines provide the comment on a profesional life which is at the hub of international controversy. Var s of pilots training at BEA training centres. Var s of aircraft taking off & landing at London, Frankfurt, & Beirut airports.

Bus429
19th Nov 2005, 07:37
Julian Pettifer (spelling?) still does stuff for BBC Radio 4 and World Service.

Dr Esteban
19th Nov 2005, 09:04
Hello people,

That is all usefull information, thank you very much for your effort. Holyflyer, your input might mean a breakthrough, those details are extremely useful.

I have been intouch with the BBC again. They were a bit more co-operative this time around. They will be sending out a request form in order to request the documentary from their archieves.
I guess I have to be patient from here.

Once again, thank you.

Regards,
Dr.

arem
19th Nov 2005, 10:45
I may have an old copied video of this prog so if you have no joy from the beeb, pm me - if you do have joy from the beeb do let me know , I would love to have a 'proper' copy

JamesT73J
19th Nov 2005, 14:22
There was also if memory serves me correctly a doc on BBC in the late 80's early 90's where they were in the cockpit on a (BA??) 747 classic out of LHR or somwhere heading to the far east. Was quite good!

I've got that episode on VHS. The series is 'Airline' (I think) and that episode was called 'Jet Jockeys'. It follows a flight to Bangkok and Sydney, and the theme is the pilot's changing role amongst the technology, complete with an Aussie atco giving pilots a good slagging.

Georgeablelovehowindia
19th Nov 2005, 18:21
You're correct, the episode was called "Jet Jockeys" and it caused a bit of a furore in the airline pilot fraternity in Britain. The director concerned set out with an agenda to show the pilots in a less than favourable light and succeeded.

Great play was made of the autopilot being engaged early in the climbout, the time spent in the rest bunk while the 747 droned through the night, the uneventful landing into BKK, and then the confusion on the ground frequency over which gate they were parking at. The clear implication was that the aeroplane took care of itself for the whole flight and then the dozy pilots couldn't manage the easy bit at the end.

Off duty in Bangkok was a potential minefield of course! However the crew were briefed not to go anywhere near Patpong - the 'Red Light' district - and staunchly resisted the film crew's pleas to be taken there. They did allow themselves to be filmed having a drink and surprise, surprise, the beers which they ordered were substituted by the director for some ridiculous cocktails with parasols stuck in the top. Finally, there was the slagging-off by ATC in Oz.

The episode duly went out, followed a month or so later, by the captain concerned writing to the BALPA Log, detailing the 'stitch-up.' Suffice to say it vividly demonstrated to the rest of us the perils of dealing with the media, and it led to a marked reticence to feature in such programmes in the future.

I suppose "The Pilots" pandered to the pomposity of the era and "Jet Jockeys" went to the opposite extreme. You can gather that from the respective titles, can't you?

JamesT73J
21st Nov 2005, 08:06
It's interesting, watching it now, to see observe how transparent it was. I didn't read much into the scenes in Bangkok, but I thought the interview with the Captain's wife was very manipulative, especially as it was intercut with the same captain talking to some girl in a bar - a clear case of mischievous editing.

GJB
21st Nov 2005, 12:33
I remember watching Jet jockeys and have it on tape. I still quite enjoy watchig it from time to time.

Until reading this, I had no idea there was an agenda behind the programme. Dare I say it, I thought it was quite factual and a reasonable representation of a long haul flight. I'm sorry to learn the crew felt mis-represented or cheated.