PDA

View Full Version : More studying!!!

rob152
16th Nov 2005, 18:29
Hi Guy's and Gal's,

Well after giving CTC a call enquiring about there cadet programme, I've taken it upon myself to enrol on a distance-learning programme to study 4 GCSE's in order to meet their requirements! Coupled with the HND in Aeronautical Engineering I'm also studying (full-time), I'd say I've got some pretty heavy studying to do! Not to worry it all come's to an end next June so finger's crossed all goes well and I can get an official application off to them. Does anyone think I'm doing the right thing or could it be a waste of time? I won't be expecting much from CTC but I'd like to think it would improve my chances overall with all sponsorship's whenever they become available. What is getting through to phase 2 of the CTC selection based on if anyone know's? Am I more likely if I successfully complete these courses do you think?

Grateful as alway's for any reply,

Cheer's Guy's and Gal's, Rob152

ricky-godf
16th Nov 2005, 18:40
I don't have any personal experience with CTC, but remember that a good preparation is never a waste of time!

All the best

kwokwinguk
16th Nov 2005, 19:26
that's the best decision and a wise one too. but you must focus and be very determine everytime to aim your goals.

good luck
:cool:

High Wing Drifter
16th Nov 2005, 19:39
I have to ask, if you are studying aeronautical engineering at higher education level, what on God's green Earth are GCSEs going to do for you :confused:

Gary Lager
16th Nov 2005, 19:52
Save a bit of wear on that apostrophe key, for starters...(sorry rob!)

rob152
16th Nov 2005, 21:34
High Wing Drifter,

You see that was exactly what I thought, but as far as CTC were concerned as I dont have 5 GCSE's at grade C or above I dont meet their requirements so to qualify for their sponsorship, at least to get an interview, I need to go out and get them! The fact that I'm doing a HND in a related subject doesn't seem to make much difference, not with them anyway.

Rob152

Oh and also, I appreciate that many people would not know but once these GCSE\'s and the HND is completed, what is the likelihood of getting past phase 1? From what I remember the online application is fairly simple so I guess you can only prove you meet their requirements, is it that simple?

Sorry Chaps and Chapettes!

Rob152

FlayinSpanner
17th Nov 2005, 04:00
I always thought it was the highest level of qualification that you had that counted. An HND in Aero is pretty good considering some of the folk I know applying for jobs in the industry. Oh well, shows what I know!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you that you have to go 'back' to do some GCSE stuff? Were they particular about which subjects had to be over the C level? Maths etc? If not why not pick bloody pavement cleaning or nose picking?

I would think that if they are asking you do these things in order to be eligible, then you would prob get past the stage. Otherwise I would imagine they would have said, not interested, **** off please. With smiles all round.
:}

Megaton
17th Nov 2005, 07:23
Exactly. I don't have any GCSE's but I do have a BEng and an MSc so would it be useful to acquire some lower qualifications - of course not. The issue here is that you don't have your HND yet. Once you have qualification in the bag, your GCSEs will become irrelevant.

rob152
17th Nov 2005, 17:57
FlayinSpanner,

I'm 25 yrs old, I've now made the costly investment in re-taking 4 GCSE's. Maths, Science, English and Business + Communications system's, you see they specify having C's or above in the core subjects such as Maths, English and Science. It's a bit of a shame as my workload will increase dramatically but they will all be completed in the same month as my HND. I can only hope and pray that I get past the application phase on the next occasion but at the same time if I don't then at least I have got them! Oh and I hope they realise too the effort put in to complete these!

Rob152

High Wing Drifter
17th Nov 2005, 19:34
Rob,

There must be room for manouevre with Cabair. It really is utterly rediculous that they make you do this. Your HND in hard sums (effectively) would probably make you better academically qualified than some of the people teaching you to fly :rolleyes:

rob152
17th Nov 2005, 19:55
High Wing Drifter,

I agree how stupid it is and the HND covers a good 18 subjects most of which are directly related to aircraft and flying such as; Aerodynamics, Systems and Propulsion to name but a few, not forgetting the good ol' Maths which is disgustingly hard at times, and most of the related subject's are of a more in-depth nature than the ATPL!
Oh well, I've enrolled now anyway and it won't be taking up anymore of my time as all of the final exam's will be sat in June. I just hope it's not a waste of time and that it support's my application's to any sponsorship's I come across.
So do you fly for an airline High Wing Drifter? What would you be doing in a situation like mine?(bearing in mind I have no available cash to pay for any training, and I'm suffering a slightly poor credit rating at present as a result of all this studying!)

Rob152

High Wing Drifter
17th Nov 2005, 21:23
Rob,

I'm just a part-time mod student. I can't give you any advice. I have successfully navigated the ATPLs and, academically speaking, those exams require only basic knowledge of maths and physics, but above average in common sense.

I would expect an aero HND qualification placed near the top of your CV, in a hgihly readable but not overdone fashion, to encrourage closer scrutiny.

Good luck!
:ok:

rob152
17th Nov 2005, 21:43
Cheers High Wing Drifter, I'm sure one day I will achieve my dreams, much like I'm sure you will. Just gotta get through these courses and take it from there. Like I said, I just want an interview or, depending on how the selection works, at least get to the testing stage. At least after that it's down to me to prepare and impress so I can only hope that I get a simple opportunity such as that!

Good luck to you too, any developments let me know?!

Rob152

portsharbourflyer
17th Nov 2005, 22:11
Your HND is a good move, even if you don't sucure sponsorship, the Engineering sector is short of engineers at most levels, so it will gain you employment which will help fund the flight training.

You wont necessarily save the money to fund the flight training but with a couple years in industry and an established "trade" gaining the finance (loans) for the flight taining should not be too much of a problem. I would advise trying to minimise debt as much as possible by working as long as possible, but to be realistic in order to achieve the qualification by a reasonble age a certain level of borrowing is normally necessary. However the HND in aero will give a trade to fall back on to cover the debts. I didn't enjoy studying aero engineering, but am certainly reaping the benefits now (see the "overqualified" thread in the training forum). So stick with it.

Blinkz
20th Nov 2005, 12:20
Its a good idea to do some GCSEs, but only if your doing them for the right reasons. CTCs selection is the toughest there is, only 2% of applicants will get through to actually start the course. If you are only doing the GCSEs for CTC then I think its a bad idea as (and no offence) you have very little chance of getting in. It maybe more of an idea to get your HND done then save money to get your licence self-sponsored.

rob152
20th Nov 2005, 18:32
Blinkz,

Thank you for your point of view, any form of advice offered is always grateful. Why, though, do you say I have very little chance of being successful? Do you think it's impossible for me to even get past phase 1, the application? I appreciate how difficult it really is and how few people are selected but if I passed the application phase at least then my success or failure is down to me. In all honesty I have decided to re-take my GCSE's as a result of what CTC said but I think either way it can only benefit me whether I get anywhere with them or not, I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves at some point. Anyway, if I manage to achieve these GCSE's I will meet their requirements, so why do I have any less of a chance than anyone else? The HND in Aeronautical Engineering can only support my application that little bit more and offer a slight boost to my chances, surely?

Thanks though Blinkz,

Rob152

Aviation kid
20th Nov 2005, 20:13
Save your time and money and give CTC a miss!

Instead spend the money on selection for a decent FTO such as FTE or Oxford.

AK:D

kwokwinguk
20th Nov 2005, 21:20
I know that if you got some qualifications related to aircrafts, yon may see that GCSE is needless. But, please keep this in mind when it comes to selecting cadets/pilots/students what ever, the employers will TEND to pick those high qualifications (i.e. degree) AND along with GOOD GCSE PASSES. Therefore, in my opinion that taking GCSE is not waste of TIME/MONEY it is useful! PLUS it wouldn't take much time as it is GCSE.

kwok:sad:

Blinkz
20th Nov 2005, 23:02
I don't mean to put you down, you have as good a chance to pass as anyone else, the point I was trying to make was that to do 4 GCSEs just to meet the basic requirements is an awful lot of work to do for such a mathmatically small chance of making it through the selection. I myself got to stage 4 so I know its a tough selection and by all means go for it and I wish you the best, however maybe it would be a better use of your time to follow another path? e.g the time and effort you put in to the GCSEs would probably get you your ATPL exams if you did them instead, so maybe just go the self-sponsored route instead? financially CTC is of no real help, the only good point of them is the extremley high chance of employment at the end of it.

veetwo
21st Nov 2005, 02:01
I'm with Blinkz on this one. I think you need to be careful about drawing some kind of assumed correlation between meeting the basic requirements and passing the somewhat gruelling multi-stage selection process that CTC use. 4 GCSE's will certainly (obviously) not hurt your CV but you should be prepared to accept that they are not necessarily the answer to your prayers.

You've signed up to do them now, and frankly I admire the fact you're going back a stage so don't look back. Just have a few other plans in the background in case CTC doesn't work out - and don't be too upset if it doesn't! Plenty of people will fail the CTC selection and go on to be excellent pilot's. 2% is, afterall, a tiny proportion of applications accepted, and if 98% of the people who apply to CTC gave up after the first hurdle.. well... I suspect there wouldn't be such competition for jobs!!

V2

rob152
21st Nov 2005, 11:55
Well thanks guys. I have to say though, I'm not drawn into some illusion that by taking on this work and, fingers crossed, hopefully passing them all that I'm going to succeed in sponsorship I'm a reasonably realistic person but I just want an opportunity. If I miraculously got through to phase 2 and then failed at least it would be down to me more than anything and I would walk away thankful for having the chance! I'm not relying just on CTC either, it's just another avenue to try. You never know where success lies so you have to try everything, I wont be giving up, and one day I fully intent to be in the left hand seat flying for an airline! Who knows, I may even be successful at CTC and if not then you pick yourself up and go for everything else that comes along.

Cheers guys

Rob152

Oh and also with regards to the ATPL\'s v GCSE\'s, by doing the GCSE\'s ok I\'m dramatically increasing my workload but the exams will be around the same time as my exams for my HND so its not going to take me any longer to complete them, I cant do alot until then anyway. I cant afford self-sponsorship at the moment so what advantage will I get from having the ATPL theory under my belt when it comes to applying to sponsorships?

Rob152

Atreyu
22nd Nov 2005, 21:10
I would say having your ATPL's would be a good thing, they can only be taught one way (unlike flight training) plus the to your potention sponsor (for want of a better expression) it shows commitment to Commercial flying as well as less of a financial outlay on their part

My two cents anyway

AT

Charlie Zulu
22nd Nov 2005, 22:12
Hi Rob,

If you were to do the ATPL exams, please bear in mind that you will require at least an ICAO PPL before you can enter the exam room to take the ATPL exams, the reason why I say this is because your profile doesn't state if you have a PPL or not at this present time.

Also I have heard (can't remember where though) that even if one has done the ATPL exams and later obtains sponsorship on an Integrated course then the course and exams will need to be sat again. However I am unsure of where I heard this rumour I'm afraid.

Good luck with the HND and GCSE's.

I'm tempted to do an Accountancy GCSE or even retake French GCSE (which I flunked badly, never have been any good with foreign languages) but in my case this'll be just to keep brain fade away. This won't be until after I have finished the ATPL exams and JAR conversion courses though.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.