PDA

View Full Version : Flights - HK to Singapore

newswatcher
16th Nov 2005, 14:08
I am planning a vacation next May, and hope to do London-HKG-SIN-London (or reverse). I am getting some pretty good offers for the outward/return legs, but can't find anything "cheap" for the HK-SIN leg (or reverse).

Through the likes of EXPEDIA/OPODO etc, I can find a United Airlines flights for just over £100 either way, with "anti-social" flight times, but all the rest are in excess of £300.

As a UK resident, can I/dare I deal with a flight broker in HK or Singapore and get some better offers? If so, who should I deal with?

Projected costs so far are about £450 return(Emirates), £560(Virgin & BA), all excluding HK/SIN leg. This rises to just short of £700, if I make it a round trip with Cathay, but this involves flying back to HKG, from SIN, before flying back to the UK!!:mad:

Any help gratefully received!

Terryble
16th Nov 2005, 15:54
http://www.jetstarasia.com/index.php

a 1 way from hk - sin would cost roughly 1000 hk dollars to 1500 hk dollars, depending on the date

1 GBP roughly equivalent to 13 HK$, so this might fit your budget.

Sultan Ismail
16th Nov 2005, 15:58
You could also try Air Asia (airasia.com) from Macau (across the water from Hong Kong) to Kuala Lumpur 15 pounds, and KL to Johor Bahru (30 minutes across the Causeway to Singapore) for peanuts

Dani
17th Nov 2005, 00:53
Tiger Airways flies from MFM (Macau) to SIN directly. Also peanuts, if you are lucky! (although you need less luck than with Air Asia:E )

newswatcher
17th Nov 2005, 08:13
Thanks for replies guys. Unfortunately the schedules on Jetstarasia and Tiger airways only go to end March but Tiger are showing £20 o/w fare for March, which is encouraging! Opodo showing same £300 o/w fare for MFM/SIN.

rodondo4
17th Nov 2005, 13:35
If you want keep the costs down may I suggest this:

LHR-KUL-HKG-KUL-SIN-KUL-LHR

Basically getting LHR-HKG-LHR with MAS for around £500 (tax included in price)
Getting KUL-SIN with MAS or SIA £100-ish rtn (RM713 or RM861 First class).
Total £600

Even cheaper by duluxe luxury coach (3 abreast, 4 hours) about RM60 appox £10ow.
In total £520.

the travel agents for this:
http://www.rexair.co.uk/
http://www.leestravel.com/
http://www.flightsemporium.co.uk/

*nope I have no I don't work for them :)

newswatcher
18th Nov 2005, 08:05
Thanks rodondo4, I will explore this more thoroughly later today. At present I am finding the "round" trip LON-KUL-HKG-SIN-KUL-LON at over £1K each!

SHortshaft
21st Nov 2005, 13:28
I too would recommend the coach for the Kuala Lumpur – Singapore v.v. sectors. Takes about the same time door-to-door, more reliable than the shuttle service and considerably cheaper.

For SIN – HKG – SIN at the moment I use JetStarAsia. Going through Macau may save you ten bucks but will give you a lot of headaches. Brunei may offer some cheaper tickets but again takes a lot longer.

For SIN – LHR – SIN check out Sri Lankan, they are usually pretty competitive.

One question that must be considered is how much is your time worth.

newswatcher
22nd Nov 2005, 11:52
Thanks SHortshaft. "Time" is not necessarily a problem. I don't necessarily have to do non-stop LON-HKG or SIN-LON. In fact with Emirates coming out at best fare, and only about 2 hours extra for trips e/w, this is looking best option. Apparently, also gives me the best legroom in economy.
:ok:

rodondo4
23rd Nov 2005, 09:20
newswatcher,

For the prices I wrote down you have to go through those travel agents. In general MAS flights from the UK are the cheapest from those agents....

newswatcher
23rd Nov 2005, 10:59
rodondo4 thanks, will be able to spend more time on this next weekend. Are MAS worthy of consideration? Never flown them before. Seem to remember them in the news for keeping fuel levels at bare minimum!

rodondo4
24th Nov 2005, 21:59
newswatcher,

worthy .... more than worthy. Have you been sleeping???

newswatcher
28th Nov 2005, 08:01
CX will carry us to HKG for an inclusive fare of £415 return.
:D
Found this on their web site of all places! Don't usually find airline's reservations sites to be the cheapest.
:confused:

ScootCargoOps
4th Dec 2005, 21:08
MAS has a fantastic service from LHR I’ve flown with them many times
LHR-KUL and LHR-PEN.

They've got the best seat pitch in Economy for any Far East carrier.

CX has very good rates on thier web site. I think HKG-LHR floats around 300GBP.