PDA

View Full Version : Qantas helps the Socceroos to the World Cup

Ozgrade3
16th Nov 2005, 11:08
Ok, a little tenuous link to aviations news but forgive me.

Yes, after 31 years, the Socceroos are finally in the World Cup. I'm not much of a fan, played no more than lunchtime playground soccer at school an know next to nothig of the soccer competition in Oz.

But was glued to the TV tonight watchig Australia v Uraguay.

Perhaps it was the Qantas charter that made the little difference. The boys relaxing in the business class seats on the way back might have made them a little better rested. The Uraguans meanwhile were in cattle class on another flight.

Well done to all the Boys in the Socceroos past and present, and the officials that administrate the sport.

7gcbc
16th Nov 2005, 11:30
maybe , maybe not, fyi , the uruguayans also had a good 80% in business class, so thats unlikely to be the whole reason.

The aussies looked fitter, more creative and most of all , more hungry. The uruguayans did indeed look tired in extra time.

well done!

how about that Schwarzer !!

btw , the Aussie goal was a slice of Kewells right, either that or he is an amazing strategist, I think it was a slice that was put away by Bresciano who picked it up on the left foot.

Binoculars
16th Nov 2005, 14:32
Stuff the aviation connection. Get over to JetBlast and crow. You think they're going to come here to listen to us?

planemad2
17th Nov 2005, 23:23
I read somewhere else, that it wasn't just the seating, they also had other things on the Qantas charter, like massage tables and other things including from memory extra oxygen for use on the flight. :D

Congratulations to all involved. ;)

ur2
17th Nov 2005, 23:36
Why the hell was John Tavolta there jumping up and down in the middle of the socceroo's ?

Give me a break what a disgrace. What does a Hollywood actor have to do with Australian soccer, let alone in the middle of it all at their crowning moment as if he was the captain of the team. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Animalclub
17th Nov 2005, 23:45
ur2
JT was there as a guest of QF - sponsers of the Socceroos. No big deal but no doubt QF is pleased at the result... you're talking about JT and he is associated with QF... and when does an actor miss a photo op?

gaunty
18th Nov 2005, 00:47
OK so he was there as a guest if the sponsor, guest should be polite.

I was bemused too and a bit offended when I saw it.

In my world, we wouldn't dream of of getting into the middle of what was obviously a very private "family" celebration with which we had but a very tenuous connection.

Support from the sidelines, cards, flowers etc. but not the main knees up.

I might give JT the benefit of the doubt in that he did have the look of a moll at a christening, not at all comfortable.

He is a naturally polite person and perhaps he wasn't able to convince the QF PR genii :{ that this wasn't a good idea. :ugh:

I got an idea, let's buy an ex BOAC VC10 do it up in its former glory, do a deal with British as an "ambassador" then we can get seats to the World Cup finals and.............

Binoculars
18th Nov 2005, 00:57
It sounds like QF is a hero for coming to the aid of our footballers, but I was under the impression that the charter flight cost the FFA around half a million dollars. Is QF getting extremely good publicity for something that cost them nothing?

Not being dogmatic here, and quite happy to be told if I'm completely wrong.

PLovett
18th Nov 2005, 01:00
Actually I thought the players enjoyed having Mrs Travolta there and I'm sure would have invited her to stay if it hadn't of been for Mr Travolta. :E

Well done the Socceroos. Now lets do better than we did in 1974 when at least I had crowing rights over the poms I was working with in London. They didn't get to the '74 Cup. :ok: