PDA

View Full Version : '60s DC-8 crash NZAA

steinycans
16th Nov 2005, 07:45
Hi,

Has anyone got any info/www-links on the airnz/teal DC-8 training crash at NZAA?
I've tried every permutation I can think of on google and come up empty-handed.

Fris B. Fairing
16th Nov 2005, 08:01
steiny

Does this (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19660704-0) help?

steinycans
16th Nov 2005, 08:12
It most certainly does. Thank you.

Uncommon Sense
16th Nov 2005, 08:27
steiny,

The NZ AAIB(?) or version of sent me a copy two years ago of the original Accident report - it is about 35 pages or so - if I can dig it up I will scan and send you a copy.

The lady I spoke with was very prompt to send me a copy by mail on request.

There are some pictures around on the net if you hunt closely of the DC8 after the accident.

Samuel
16th Nov 2005, 21:47
From memory, it was at the brand-new Auckland Airport, in 1966, and reverse thrust while airborne played a significant part. Only the flight crew were on board.

The aircraft was Air New Zealand by the way, though the earlier Electra crash at Whenuapai, also involving reverse thrust, was TEAL.

tinpis
17th Nov 2005, 00:07
Yes it was the new (then) Auckland airport.
Tin was not far away:ooh:

Casper
17th Nov 2005, 01:37
Here's the other training prang in NZ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accident description

Date: 27 MAR 1965
Type: Lockheed L-188C Electra
Operator: Tasman Empire Airways Ltd. - TEAL
Msn / C/n: 2011
Year built: 1959
Crew: 0 fatalities / 4 on board
Passengers: 0 fatalities / 2 on board
Total: 0 fatalities / 6 on board
Airplane damage: Written off
Phase: Landing (LDG)
Nature: Training
Destination airport: Whenuapai
Narrative:
The Electra, named "Akaroa", landed heavily following a flight idle approach to Whenuapai. One of the main gear legs failed and the aircraft caught fire.

noooby
17th Nov 2005, 05:25
One of the main gear legs failed and the aircraft caught fire.

Wow, understatement of the century, it tore the whole bally wing off!! For photos of both these incidents, John Kings book Aviation: Accidents and Disasters is pretty good. Is well written too. Have had my copy for years, and still pick it up every now and then and reread a chapter or two. Not sure of the exact title. I'm not at home at the moment

ATCO1962
17th Nov 2005, 18:09
nooby

Does that book contain a photo taken from the air that shows the resting place of the remains of the DC8? If so, I seem to recall that it seemed to be heading towards the new(ish) tower at Auckland and must have left the tower controllers feeling a little nervous, knowing that they could be amongst those lucky controllers that have died in the pursuit of their vocation!!:\ :uhoh:

Oops, posted too hastily! I'll edit this to ask if anyone has seen the photo referred to above. Cheers:ok: