PDA

View Full Version : ANZ 747 Engine Failure

Don Won
16th Nov 2005, 02:23
Heard that anz 74 turned back half hour into a flight to LA this morning due to engine flame out/ shut down/blow up, or maybe the hanger rats are starting to get some early pay back.
Local sandby were called out but guess would been all over the news if anything had happened.........

billyt
16th Nov 2005, 03:21
Maybe this was what is referred to.

N A T I O N A L N E W S S T O R Y
RELATED LINKS

» Have your say
» Subscribe to Archivestuff

PM's flight forced to turn back
16 November 2005

Prime Minister Helen Clark's arrival in Dublin to help present New Zealand's 2011 Rugby World Cup bid has been delayed after a flight she was on was forced to turn back to Auckland.

A spokeswoman for Miss Clark said she departed Auckland on a flight to Los Angeles – the first leg of the trip to Dublin – last night, but four hours into the trip the Qantas aircraft was forced to turn back due to some sort of mechanical problem.

Miss Clark spent the night at her Auckland home and was due to catch another flight this afternoon.

She would still arrive in Dublin in time to help present New Zealand's World Cup bid to the International Rugby Board on Thursday night and Friday morning (NZT).

However she would no longer be able to attend a day of meetings with Irish politicians the day before.

Speeds high
16th Nov 2005, 06:53
the Qantas aircraft

That 'll teach the b#@&%h for flying on the compitetion
:E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :ouch:

Don Won
16th Nov 2005, 10:26
Billy....cheers kuz, guess I should tune into Te News bit more often:ugh:

Samuel
16th Nov 2005, 19:36
It was probably a combination of factors: an engine shut down and excessive drag from the broomstick attached to the tail, and more than likely a touch of indigestion caused by one or more passengers. Aeroplanes have feelings too you know!:uhoh:

numbskull
16th Nov 2005, 21:20
It was a Qantas A/C 747-400.

A high pressure fuel tube coming from the fuel manifold sheared causing the engine to lose 3500kg of fuel in 3.5 hrs onto the core of the engine.

Apparently this tube had been replaced recently and Rolls Royce have just issued a warning about the new tubes being prone to cracking. Tech services were swarming over planes that had also had similiar tubes replaced recently.

Lucky there was no fire with 3.5 tonnes of fuel pouring around the combustion chamber case.

defiant
16th Nov 2005, 22:07
Is it just me? or does Helen Clark seem to have a knack for being on an aircraft when something goes wrong?

I seem to recall her being in an aztec not so long ago and a door unlatching during flight ?

Maybe she should stick to driving..

Oh thats right.. her motorcade was caught speeding to an All Blacks game.. :}

Defiant.

kmagyoyo
16th Nov 2005, 23:41
Watch out Speeds high, you'll spend a week honing your 'communication' skills with that sort of outburst :E

I might as well join you...WTF was she doing on the RAT, even Johnny doesn't use them :E

CT7
20th Nov 2005, 07:28
Hey Don Won

Ever thought of editing your original post, say something more factual?

Also, has anyone wondered why the Qantas part was ommitted from the news stories? Heck, if it had been Air NZ or the RNZAF it would've been front page news...

chockchucker
20th Nov 2005, 09:34
Come to think of it, why was uncle Helen travelling on Qantas? Doesn't the N.Z. Goverment have an airline of their own (that they nationalised back in 2001) which could have accomodated her?

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that she's helping out the competition but, if I were a N.Z. tax payer/ owner of Air New Zealand, I'd be a little miffed.

27/09
20th Nov 2005, 23:56
Come to think of it, why was uncle Helen travelling on Qantas?

She does make a practice of flying Air NZ whenever she can, apparently this time the trip schedule didn't fit with any Air Nz flights.

ZK-NSJ
21st Nov 2005, 06:16
or maybe its because shes trod on that many toes there that they told her to f*** off,

kiwiandrew
22nd Nov 2005, 09:47
quote :if I were a N.Z. tax payer/ owner of Air New Zealand, I'd be a little miffed

As a former New Zealand taxpayer I would like to assume that anyone travelling on public money has to take whichever is the most cost-effective ( please note this does not necessarily mean cheapest ) airfare .

I assume the parliamentary travel department looked at her itinerary and came up with the solution that was best for the taxpayer .