PDA

View Full Version : Why dont they????

havoc
15th Nov 2005, 17:05
Question came up on why technology from other industries are not incorporated into use on helicopters. Cost would be the most obvious.

For example cell technologly, weighs the aircraft and gives a weight and CG readout in the cockpit. Nick informed me that this has been used on larger models.

Far fetched: golf balls have dimples on the surface to make them fly straighter, any good use for that concept in helicopters?

Would the shape of the vanes on the GE engines benefit helicopter engine performance?

http://www.geae.com/education/engines101/

Any ideas that are eating at you to get them into future designs?

The Nr Fairy
15th Nov 2005, 17:45
My attempts at modifying helicopters to have dimples haven't been an outstanding success . . .

Ascend Charlie
15th Nov 2005, 20:37
Havoc: The dimples only work because the golf ball is spinning so fast. On a helo, it might help the tail rotor failure situation, but that's about all.

But there are lots of other areas to improve - there was a thread about this last year.

Car technology should improve:
- pilot seats, to have more comfort, lumbar support, arm rests, cup holders
- air conditioning. The $1000 option in a Hyundai works better than the $50,000 option in an S76
- HUD. Mercedes has it, Bell should too.
- Central locking, with engine disabler. (only works when engine already shut down and cold, batteries off)

:ok:

morris1
15th Nov 2005, 21:20
Ditto to the crap seats and lack of cup holders.. PLUS

Doors that:
a) stay attached to the vehicle (aircraft)
b) door handles that both work AND do not come off in your hand.

And while we're at it.. cabin heaters that do something other than - "all or nothing" and for good measure how about a nice simple windscreen wiper that manages to actualy clear some rain away rather than flap around uselessly in mid air..??

Whirlygig
15th Nov 2005, 22:02
My attempts at modifying helicopters to have dimples haven't been an outstanding success . . .
Nr, I've told you before about leaving your helicopter at the end of the taxiway if you're going to use it for golf driving practice! :eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls

Geoffersincornwall
15th Nov 2005, 23:21
Helicopter are made down-to-a-weight. When the "assembler" (better term than manufacturer in most cases) buys bits he has a lot of boxes to tick. Nobody seems to give a s**t about whether they actually work or not.

I'm going to begin a list and hope someone else will finish it off:

SeaKing 1 - Hydraulic Screen Wipers that failed every time after 10 mins use

Most Types - A PA system that can only be heard if the engines are NOT running.

Seats we have done to death but always deserve a mention - particularly the S61 "killers" otherwise known for their contribution to the profits of those that make haemerrhoid suppositories.

S76 Brakes - Minimalist or what!

S61 "Purge meter" or screen wash - the guy who put that there had a hell of a sense of humour

Luggage bays - read handbag container

Bo 105 Rotor brake - one way of exercising your right arm providing you don't need to stop the rotor in winds above 40 kts

Bo 105 Stab System - rearrange the three green lights in any order you like and see if you can tell if the sytem is in or out.

Go on - vent your wrath, maybe the odd designer or two is reading this thread.

G

:E

Dave_Jackson
16th Nov 2005, 00:29
Any ideas that are eating at you to get them into future designs? . . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.unicopter.com/Temporary/complaint_department.gif

If you hunger for future improvements, you may have to swallow this. (http://helicopter.nuaa.edu.cn/)