PDA

View Full Version : CPL FI

hardcase
15th Nov 2005, 17:04
Hi all

have been a PPL FI for a year and have 500 instructing hours, 900TT. I teach night but am thinking about IMC instructing but also would like to get into CPL instructing.

Do I have to teach IMC before becoming a CPL instructor? Not really too sure of the steps up to ME/IR instructing.

hardcase

finals24
15th Nov 2005, 20:52
My understanding is that you need to remove the instrument restriction in order to teach CPL and IR (and IMC for that matter). CPL has an instrument content.

To teach IR (multi) you will need an multi instructor's ticket, a current IR and the requisite number of instrument hours.

I also believe that you need approval to teach IR at a specific FTO.

portsharbourflyer
15th Nov 2005, 22:34
The CPL does have an instrument content, but it is not applied instrument flying, therefore you do not need an IRI to treach the JAA CPL on single engine aircraft. The requirements to teach the CPL are 200 hours of instructional time and be an unrestricted instructor. No further rating is required other than an approval from the school you are working for.

To teach IR or IMC, if you hold an instructors rating, then to remove the applied instrument flying restriction you will need to do the IRI upgrade course, (there is a stand alone IRI for those not holding an FI rating but it requires alot more actual instrument flying experience). The number of instrument hours required to do the course is 200 hours IFR, but there is some 1 to 4 factoring ratio such that 1 hour in real IMC or flight to sole reference to instruments can be counted as 4 hours under IFR. I can't remember the exact terms so look in lasors, I'm sure someone can correct me.

To do the MEI you will need 30 hours of p1 MEP time prior to doing the MEI upgrade course. Once you have both the MEI and IRI you can teach multi IR.

FlyingForFun
16th Nov 2005, 10:40
With regards to CPL training, the answers given so far are basically correct.

With regards to IR training (which I know is not what you asked about, but it's been included in the thread creep), first of all we need to clear up some terminology. An IRI is not a Flying Instructor. An IRI is a pilot who has not done the FIC, but who wishes to teach people for the IR.

Since you are already an FI, you will never be an IRI. What you will be if you want to teach for the IR or the IMC is an FI with the "No Applied Instrument" restriction removed.

To remove this restriction, if teaching the IR, you need to have 200 hours of flight under IFR. If teaching for the IMC rating, it's just 40 hours IFR. In both cases, if you've been logging time by sole reference to instruments (i.e. either actual IMC, or simulated IMC) rather than IFR (i.e. on airways, etc, following the rules of IFR, whether IMC or not), then divide these times by 4, so that's 50 hours by sole reference to instruments for the IR, or 10 for the IMC.

Although we're not really talking about the IRI, it's worth mentioning that the requirements for this are 800 hours IFR or 200 hours by sole reference to instruments.

With regards to both CPL and IR training, though, the other hurdle is to become a multi-engine instructor. Although it is possible to teach a single-engine CPL or a single-engine IR, and it is possible to teach the single-engine components of the multi-engine courses, you will make yourself far more employable if you are a multi-engine instructor.

The requirements for this are 30 hours of P1 on multi-engine piston aircraft (so your own CPL/IR does not count, except for successful skills tests, because it's not P1). 10 of these hours must be within the last 12 months, and ME SPIC time does not count. After that, it's a 5 hour course and a test. For me, this is the biggest problem, because the cost of building 30 hours P1 time is very high - I'm working towards it slowly, but still have quite a way to go.

FFF
-------------------

hardcase
16th Nov 2005, 11:32
thanks for the info FFF,

I have just looked into getting the "no applied instrument" restriction removed from my licence and start teaching IMC. I just spoke to a CFI and he is getting back to me with course prices this afternoon.

I have 55 hours IFR time which is half under the rules of IFR, ie airways, etc and the rest is simulated IMC or actual IMC. So I guess I could teach SE IR when I get the restriction removed and like you build up slowly my P1 ME time

hardcase :ok:

Whopity
16th Nov 2005, 11:35
"10 of these hours must be within the last 12 months"

This requirement was removed in AL4 to JAR-FCL 1 dated 1-09-05

FlyingForFun
16th Nov 2005, 17:19
Hardcase,

From what you say about your instrument time, I'm not sure that you can teach for the IR yet. The requirement is for 200 hours IFR. You say you have 22.5 hours IFR, and 22.5 hours by sole reference to instruments. This equates to 122.5 hours IFR - enough to teach for the IMC course, but not the IR.

Whopity, didn't know that - it seems impossible to keep up with all the changes. Thanks!

FFF
--------------

Whopity
16th Nov 2005, 22:36
If you hold an IMC rating and have the no applied IF restriction removed you can teach for the IMC rating. If you hold an IR which you must have to reach for an IR then you must also have enough instrument time to teach for the IR. You need either 200 hours under IFR or 50 hours by sole reference to instruments. The IR course is 55 hours!

FlyingForFun
17th Nov 2005, 13:36
Whopity,

The 50 hours required must be either flight time, flight sim, or FNPT2. It's possible to do a significant portion of the required hours for the IR on an FNPT1, in which case I don't think it would count for removal of the restriction - therefore possible to have an IR, but not enough experience to remove the restriction and teach for the IR???

FFF
----------------